Lomas Tenure Up?

St Mikey

Lomas out!

Dasovic in!

knows all about the club, currently working as Canada U20 coach and was desperate for the job after Del left. Perfect replacement imo.

Yesterdays tactics were shocking, Mannus playing up front wouldn't have surprised me in the slightest the way he had the team set up!

Next two games are must win or he must go!

nick was at the game yesterday.

I rarely type a post here but this topic warrants one. That was shambolic yesterday and even though I admit the season is in its infancy I can't see where any improvement is going to come from. There is a dearth of creativity in midfield and our back four are susceptible to any sort of pace. The summer signings have not addressed that.

Additionally what I would have liked to see is a Mcinnes style "head down and get on with it" attitude yesterday. A sleeves up, sensible approach to the problem by utilising the players we have in their strongest positions. What we got was half the team out of position, a barmy formation and a right royal humping. Followed by up another whingin interview that, frankly, isn't doing him any favours with the support.

In isolation you could treat this as a "bad day at the office". As part of a multi game winless stretch it should quite rightly come under greater scrutiny.

Is it time for him to go? Well no. But he should not be far away unless lessons are learned very, very quickly. This is relegation form whichever way you paint it.

Remember last season after Motherwell and Dunfermline beat us, most people, including me, thought Dels time was up

...not sure that's quite the case. There was the usual knee-jerk reaction to a couple of bad results, but I certainly never wanted Del out as he was doing a fantastic job here regardless of the occasional rubbish performance.

With Lomas it's a bit different. I'm very rarely in favour of sacking managers after so little time, and I'm not going to call for Lomas' head at this stage, but it's not looking good for him at the moment. Admittedly I'm no longer at every single Saints game so can't speak for every performance, but yesterday's match was the worst Saints display I've seen in years. I sympathise with the fact that we were down to bare bones squad-wise (partly due to lack of discipline in previous games, which in itself doesn't reflect brilliantly on the manager), but there's just no excuse for the tactics, formation and players being played out of position yesterday. Too many players looked like they didn't know what they were meant to be doing or where they were meant to be playing - that would never, ever have happened under McInnes.

On top of that, other than a couple of very good interviews when he first arrived, Lomas has been worryingly negative ever since. He always seems to be making complaints about something, moaning about the size of the squad (which actually isn't particularly small), and generally talking us down. That's not what I want to hear from any Saints manager. Part of his remit here was supposed to be to promote the club and get the community on side, but every time he speaks he seems to be doing the exact opposite.

We've got a decent squad this season and I think some of his signings have been quite good (I like Cregg, Hasselbaink and Tade), but I'm very worried about the direction we're going in. I can't help but feel that Lomas is massively out of his depth, doesn't understand the Scottish game and doesn't have the level of know-how or thoughtfulness required to put together a long-term project and take us to the next level.

Here's hoping the folk posting end up looking as silly as the ones in the McInnes out topic after 3 games in the 2008-09 season.

I started the thread as it always looks like Lomas doesn't know what to do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19311378

Interesting read. We over achieved last year in 6th place, does he now think we are in a more appropriate position.

I started the thread as it always looks like Lomas doesn't know what to do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/19311378

Interesting read. We over achieved last year in 6th place, does he now think we are in a more appropriate position.

From the quotes in the article, that interview is a cliche-ridden mess. (I haven't actually listened to the interview, I don't want to hear his voice.)

Lomas claims we have lost 12 players.Oh boy, he tells everyone who will listen

I reckon we have lost 7 signed guys plus 5 loanees and Hart ( who never played a single game and was a complete waste of money)

we have so far brought in 8 signed players this term plus the return of Stevie May who spend the majority of last season on loan to Alloa, and are sitting with a squad of 23

Of last years squad we had May, Higgins, Finnigan & Caddis out on loan, Riordan signed a short term deal in March, Parkin, Gartland and Gibson left in January. Keatings, Oyenuga, Croft, Compton and Sheridan were on loan to us. And Hart never played a single game.

By my count thats 14 players. We had a squad of 31 so we actually had a signed squad of 17 players plus 5 loanees which makes 22..you could add in Riordan if you wanted. = 23

We "OVER ACHIEVED"( copyright.S. Lomas) with pretty much the exact same number of players as we have NOW....

I think I smell SHITE!!!!!

Edited by The ghost of Jim Morton

From the quotes in the article, that interview is a cliche-ridden mess. (I haven't actually listened to the interview, I don't want to hear his voice.)

"I'll have to speak to the chairman"

If I was Steve Lomas, this week I'd be doing everything I could to avoid the chairman.

Two things...

1. Said it a long time ago - "Lomas Must Go"

2. This new forum design is doing my head in!

Bonus: "He doesn't talk a particularly good game." <--- no, he talks total nonsense, always the hard done by team etc. He needs to man up, and talk a mature, WINNERS mentality. Less of the calvanistic bs

Edited by MySpazz

I think it's fair to say we overachieved last season. We finished above teams who have much larger revenues and greater fan bases. To finish in the top 6 in Scotland is brilliant for a club like St Johnstone.

Fair comment,but would you rather have black pudding eyes or a sausage for a nose?

I ended last season saying he was out of his depth, tactically inept and had to go. Nothing changed as far as I can see and yesterday has componded my view on him.

His failure to make changes speaks volumes, he simply can't read the game. Two of the changes he made yesterday were enforced otherwise it would have been Stevie May coming on in 92 minutes again.

Taxi for Lomas...

Fair comment,but would you rather have black pudding eyes or a sausage for a nose?

Would I still be able to see and smell?

For what it's worth I agree with the criticisms of Lomas, but I also agree that we overachieved. He managed to make us look like we were playing with 10 men for the entire game yesterday. We had no shape and were tactically woeful. I don't think he is ready to manage at this level. We have made some terrific signings yet he still bemoans the lack of backing from the chairman. I think he needs to take a look around at other teams in the league before he criticises the chairman.

TOTALLY DISGUSTED WITH THIS TOPIC

I PICKED THIS POST BECAUSE OF THE (I AM LEAD TO BELIEVE BUT CANT TELL YOU) WHY MENTION IT THEN

I HAVE WATCHED SAINTS IN A LOT LOWER LEAGUES AND WITH A LOT WORSE MANAGERS BUT DO NOT RECALL SUCH REACTION AFTER 3 GAMES AT THE START OF THE SEASON (2 AWAY FROM HOME)

WHAT ABOUT SACK THE BOARD FOR CHOOSING THESE MANAGERS

Were you actually at the game yesterday, were you at the Hearts and Motherwell away games?? Did you attend the last 5 matches of last season?? Cos if so, then you should know why knives are out. You say you do not recall such a reaction.. I do not recall such a poor manager, a manager who exhibits no sign of getting it right, a manager who's favourite lines enclude " we overachieved last season and we need more players, and a manager who failed to do anything yesterday to gee HIS players up on the park. You like me are entitled to your opinion and that is MY opinion.

As for your sack the board quip.. Given the board have picked two excellent managers prior to this one, I suggest they are still "in credit"

And finally, the fact that there is a strong rumour doing the rounds means that the other comment I made was , in my opinion, acceptable. Given it is still a rumour though, it would be wrong to give details without corroboration as this might leave the forum owner open to legal problems. Again, if you don't like that then that is your prerogative. I am happy with it though.

Would I still be able to see and smell?

For what it's worth I agree with the criticisms of Lomas, but I also agree that we overachieved. He managed to make us look like we were playing with 10 men for the entire game yesterday. We had no shape and were tactically woeful. I don't think he is ready to manage at this level. We have made some terrific signings yet he still bemoans the lack of backing from the chairman. I think he needs to take a look around at other teams in the league before he criticises the chairman.

yes yes of course you would,ye I think we did overachieve last season,but as you say having brought in some quality players I was rather optimistic his year,however in all 3 games so far saints have been poor for the vast majority of these games. I just hope saints can bring in a solid central midfielder,find a formation that works and gel as a team!

I somhow remember us sacking a manger when we were in the top half of the Scottish premier league because he would bankrupt the club with his always wanting to sign and his signing policy he also had a soft spot for the **** and always talked a in a lot of cliches.

We also had a manager who was NI and signed a lot of pish and was out of his depth and blamed exeryone else he also had a soft spot for the **** and he also got sacked. ( We Hodgie spent the whole of a saturday night trying to phone McDairmaid park after the Legend scored 3 for Partick that day to hump us to get him the boot he was gone by the Monday)

Is it me or do i see a sequence here?