What Should Be Done With Stevie May? (Poll)

Jiangsu Sainty

What Should be Done with Stevie May?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I realise that a lot of the opinion of the May issue will already have been given in the other thread, but I wanted to see what the numbers were, particularly in light of the varied opinions following the Aberdeen game.

Seems I can still edit the possible answers for the poll, so let me know if there is any suitable answer I have missed out

I personally don't think SL has the right to sell him given the fact May is a promising home-grown Saints player and Lomas is an under-pressure manager who has shown little evidence of managerial or decision-making ability, even though he has signed some good players.

Edited by Jiangsu Sainty

Let him build experience in Div 1 for 6 months, adding to what he has already gained in the SPL over the past couple of years and in Div 3 last year. Get him back in January then start giving him a chance and get him singed up for 2-3 years. Best prospect we have had in a long while.

It baffles me why some believe he is not SPL material when he is only 19!

Give him a run for a few games up-front with a target man (Beattie/Tade?) and let him get up to SPL pace before we make a decision on whether he needs games at a lower level to develop his potential and come back as a first team player. He's the most exciting prospect we've got atm (Caddis could become a player if he's given a chance though) and it would be great to start bringing players through rather than splashing cash on guys who haven't made it at a higher level.

Play him. I remember how well Jackson came on playing alongside Deuchar. Playing him alongside a more experienced strike partner will improve his game more than playing in div 1. This point in time should be about achieving the best league position we can, whilst protecting our future assets. He will improve playing 1st team football both in skill and confidence, and will either be encouraged to stay and make a name for himself or move on for a much better deal than if he continues to warm the bench or go on loan. If playing 2 of Tade/Vine/Beattie would bag us an extra 5 or 6 goals over the season, that has to be weighed up with the added value a season of first team football would give May and Saints.

I only say this because I genuinely think he has the potential to be very very good.

Give him a run for a few games up-front with a target man (Beattie/Tade?) and let him get up to SPL pace before we make a decision on whether he needs games at a lower level to develop his potential and come back as a first team player. He's the most exciting prospect we've got atm (Caddis could become a player if he's given a chance though) and it would be great to start bringing players through rather than splashing cash on guys who haven't made it at a higher level.

and drop nigel who has probably been our best player so far

I'd keep him and use him as a sub. However, when using him as a sub I'd give him 25-30 minutes in his natural position as a striker rather than as a Lomas sub which involves 3-4 minutes playing out of position at left back or something.

You've got to remember that Beattie has barely kicked a ball for a few seasons and Vine is in a similar boat. I doubt either of these guys have 90 minutes in them so we need options from the bench.

Edited by Broon

Loan him till Christmas then bring him back.

Can't say I agree with that as i don't see it helping anyone other than the 1st Div club he goes to. if he's away till December/January it only leaves him 4-5 months to make an impression when he comes back. If he's been playing in the 1st he's been playing at a lower level so he's not going to slot right back into the first team when he returns and he'll be back to where he is now i.e. the bench if he's lucky. But he won't have played in an SPL game for months so when he comes on he is unlikely to set the pitch on fire right away.....so he'll be dropped again and then out the door in the summer.

He had a great deal of 1st team experience last year, this year is the time to try him in our 1st team. It's the only way I can see that we will develop him as an SPL player and at the same time asses if he is worth keeping.

i personally feel that we signed too many big guys-only 2 of vine, beattie n tade should have been signed . May could have played alongside 1 of them . i also feel higgins is surplus to the team but he may prove me wrong. the problem with signing so many strikers is you cant keep them all happy

I'd like to see him given a proper run out in the first team. He's been on the fringes for ages and has impressed whenever he's been given a chance. He's got pace, can score from anywhere and isn't afraid to run at defenders, just needs more experience at the top level.

I can think of no precedent where we loan a striker out to a Third Division team (with great success) then didn't give him a chance when he returns to Perth, only for him to go on to score against us several times before winning a move to England and playing in the Premier League. Nope, I can't think of any players who have done that. Except Stephen Dobbie of course.

Before any long-term decision is made on Stevie May, he needs to be given a proper chance in the first team, in his proper position. If Lomas doesn't see that happening imminently, then maybe a loan to the First Division wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but at some point, a manager of Saints needs to put some faith in young players and give them a chance again.

Folk can point out Andy Jackson is playing part-time at Brechin but IMO, there is no danger he would be at that level if he hadn't had his troubles with illness and injury (and subsequently fitness). He scored nearly twenty goals in that 2007/08 after being given a chance, winning U21 honours for Ireland and would have gone on to have a really good career I think if it wasn't for his problems. Moon is another blighted by injury but an example that we can produce good young players, we just need to give them a chance. Writing off the guy before his twentieth birthday is mad. Without checking, I'd be surprised if David Goodwillie, for example, had featured much more for United at May's age, yet a few years later he's playing for Scotland and netting them a couple of million.

I would like to see him given a chance but I can't see it happening. If he didn't get a game against Aberdeen when we had 3 strikers out then when will he. He was scoring goals for fun last season and although it was the 3rd division as the Newco have found out thats not as easy as it sounds. I don't know if he will make the top grade but I would hate to let him go without finding out how good he is, so if he's not going to get a chance here maybe a loan to a 1st division side would be his and our best option.