Your Personal Claim To Fame As A Saints Fan ?

SingaporeSaint

The start of my so far very short Saints supporting career coincides pretty much exactly with the start of the SPL 13-match losing streak. Am starting to wonder whether I'm not a curse on the club.

Not much of a claim to fame admittedly, more the reverse...

In 1969, aged 15, I went to Hampden to watch my beloved Saints in an all too rare League Cup Final. I arrived in good time but got a bit carried away with the atmosphere and was promptly arrested by 2 of Glasgow's finest constables and marched round the perimeter track. Deposited in a cell underneath the ground I listened to the noise of Celtic fans celebrating their goal until being transferred in a black maria to Glasgow Central Nick where I was held until 4.40 when I was charged with throwing a toilet roll on to the pitch.

I had to make my own way back to the railway station..................no blue light taxi for me.

It was a long time before my next visit to see my beloved Saints at the home of Scottish football!

As match sponsor of a Ross County vs St Johnstone game back in the day my dad awarded Paul Hartley with the MotM award following a convincing Saints win in which he was outstanding.

Sugar Kennedy advised that it was the 1st time an away player had received this accolade in the Victoria Suite.

Roddie asked me to hold his bottle of Champers, while he signed a few autographs in the old Saints club in Jeanfield Rd.

Needless to say, that was the last he saw of it, as me and the boys sconed it in about three gulps.

This was after we clinched the league against Ayr at McD.

Sorry Roddie, but you were probably too pi**ed to notice.

I was the mascot in a 1-1 draw against Forfar in 1984. Roy Baines injured his arm and was replaced by Don McVicar. Don dislocated his shoulder and was replaced by Joe Reid.

I'm no historian but I'm willing to bet it's the only time we've ever used three different goalkeepers in one match.

I was the mascot in a 1-1 draw against Forfar in 1984. Roy Baines injured his arm and was replaced by Don McVicar. Don dislocated his shoulder and was replaced by Joe Reid.

I'm no historian but I'm willing to bet it's the only time we've ever used three different goalkeepers in one match.

I have a memory of that. Can remember being there.

I think I was the first to sit in the east stand, in the evening that the plastic seats were fitted myself and my mate climbed the wall and sat in the east stand, started singing we hate Dundee. Gutted we never had a ball but we still ran around the pitch like idiots.

I.went down the week before the first game. Was the friday. Big gates next to the Ormond stand were open, no one around. Went into the Ormond stand. Sat in the back row, dead centre.

Just wanted to see the view.

One of only a few that season I don't have the programme of. You're lucky as they printed photos of the mascots that season and I would have uploaded it on here. :laugh: Philip Scott was the mascot in August versus East Fife.

I nicked the match ball from Saints' 2-1 win over Rangers in October 2000. At the end of the match Barry Ferguson lumped the ball into the Main Stand, it took a bounce off some seats and I grabbed it. Shoved it under my jacket and made off out of the stadium. One of the stewards stopped me on the way out (think we still had our own stewards then) and I claimed that Jim Weir had given me it, which he semi-accepted giving me enough time to disappear off up the car park. Momo Sylla came into the High School a few weeks later to visit French classes so I even got the ball signed by the winning goalscorer!

Not really my claim to fame, but my late grandad claimed he scored the first ever goal at McDairmid. He was a joiner and was doing the concrete shuttering for the stands and the pitch area was already marked out, albiet without any grass. So, jumpers for goalposts, he scored past his mate Willie Wallace to be the first man to put one past the keeper.