Fifty Shades Of Saints

Dave Ferg

Saw it all today, but what shone through above all was passion! It wasn't a Rolls Royce performance and we haven't won the league yet but there was an abundance of passion that I haven't seen for a long time.

What's our top 50 passionate Saints moments?

Vine's winner today is up there with the top moments I've had supporting my team.

Good thread. I immediately thought of 1. the Jim Weir moment, as mentioned above by Andrew; 2. Martin Hardie's :wub: 'down on knees' celebration after the fourth goal at Hamilton, on the day we thought we had won the league; 3. Alan Main's aeroplane slalom after we got into Europe in 1999; 4. Jim Storrie's impromptu speech to a crowd of about 100 supporters immediately after we had managed to stay in Div 1 after a 4-1 victory at QoS on the last day of the season, 1977.

Edited by Percy Johnston

Kevin Moon's last minute winner at Easter Road a few seasons back when we'd gone 27 years without a goal in the SPL. Liam Craig had already burst that record but to win the match was fantastic and a long time coming.

We could still score in the Scottish Cup and Danny Invincibile's bullet header at Glebe Park. Tremendous atmosphere and match that belonged in the seventies.

Peter MacDonald's goal at Tynecastle a few rounds before the Brechin match.

Another Moon goal, to salvage a point at Tannadice after we'd thrown away a two goal lead. Thought the top tier was gonna collapse!

Jason Scotland's headers at both Tynecastle (vs Hibs) and Fir Park in the Scottish Cup in 2007. Ivano...

The Martin Hardie show at Broadwood a few days after the Scottish Cup semi-final against Celtic. Players were dead on their feet but like so often in those final few weeks, Hardie dragged us through a match almost by himself.

Winning at Ibrox with Milne's double.

Winning at Celtic Park in 1998 with the Dasovic goal. Have been lucky enough to see us win twice at Celtic Park. Makes all the defeats worth it.

The week in 2004 when we scored three late winners against promotion rivals. First Paul Bernard pops up to score a header at Broadwood in a 3-2 win, then Chris Hay scores a cheeky flick at Ochilview against Falkirk (fantastic celebrations on the terrace) and finally Keigan Parker scores a beautiful volley after Inverness had come back from two goals down. Sparked a wee pitch invasion from the East Stand.

Mark Reilly doing about the only positive thing he did in a Saints shirt with an injury time diving header to equalise against Queen of the South in 2002 or 2003. We'd be rotten all match and I have a feeling scored twice in injury time?

Couple of late Roddy Grant headers in our first season back up, one to secure a point at Pittodrie and another a winner at Easter Road, when we were in the top tier behind the goal.

George O'Boyle's second against Rangers that same season and his winner against Celtic a month earlier.

Kieran McAnespie coming off the bench at just sixteen or seventeen to score a brilliant volley (similar to a famous one Ginola scored in Europe for Newcastle) against Clydebank at Boghead on a Tuesday or Wednesday night as we went on our way to winning the league in 1997.

Remember a late, late winner at Dens Park but can't remember if it was 1995 or 1996, or even who scored it. We were at the opposite end to where we are now.

Comeback win against Dunfermline at McDiarmid Park on Boxing Day 1994, Peter Davenport with the winner. We were two down.

Roddy Grant with a last minute winner in the Scottish Cup against Hibernian in 1991.

Any of the three goals against Airdrieonians in March 1990 are an obvious mention too.

Could probably think of tonnes more but post is getting tl;dr as it is!

The 1989 Scottish Cup semi final is probably the most remarkable result from my time supporting Saints. Our part timers against a Souness team full of players that cost an absolute fortune and a few who got Engerland to the semi final of the World Cup the next year.

Also remember a cup game at Tynecastle where we were 2-0 down and won 4-2

Oh and the promotion at Alloa was a fantastic day.

Wasn't there that night but did we not also come back with just ten men? Can't be sure on that to be fair but have a feeling we maybe did.

I think we did. Couldnt remember if it was us or Hearts that had a man sent off. We were in the corner of the Main Stand at the Gorgie Road end. Cant remember if the game was significant but I do know it was an outstanding performance.

I think we did. Couldnt remember if it was us or Hearts that had a man sent off. We were in the corner of the Main Stand at the Gorgie Road end. Cant remember if the game was significant but I do know it was an outstanding performance.

Was that the night it was raining a monsoon and they moved us from the terrace which was at the opposite end from where we are now into the main stand?

One of the finest goals I ever saw Saints score came in a 3-2 demolition of the Parkhead chapter of the legion of darkness from the south side of the Inferno, in a game which took place in the 1970-71 season at Muirton. This win was all the sweeter after we were kicked off the park by the flowing football of the **** in the 1969 league cup final and denied at least 2 stonewall penalties I can remember. I digress, however. Back to the matter in hand. Saints were leading 2-1 through goals by Henry Hall and Jim Pearson when John Connolly flighted a glorious 50 yard pass, (it gets 10 yards longer every time I think about it), through to the sublimely talented and tragically underrated Ian McPhee. We were right behind the goal at the ice rink end and watched as he strode majestically on to the pass and stroked it goalwards with the inside of his right foot. We watched transfixed as this beautifully and gracefully caressed shot first looked as it was going out but then took the curve imparted on it and rolled sedately into the back of the ****' net. I remember many more goals that thrilled me over the years but this one is up there among the best. Another game was just before Christmas of the 66-67 season when we entertained Partick Thistle at Muirton. We hadn't scored a goal in weeks, never mind winning a game and predictably we were getting beat 1-0 at the interval. In the second half we laid siege to the Partick goal and eventually broke through with a Willie Coburn penalty and a 4 yard wonderstrike from Kenny Aird finished off the icing on the Christmas cake. I was just 13 at the time and used to go to the game an hour before kick-off just to watch the grass grow so this win remains etched in my memory fom the halcyon days before 'tactics' when the aim was simply to score more goals than the opposition through the nowadays radical solution of attacking them :wink: !!

Edited by loussier

It was league cup 1993 or 94. Saints were in the Corgi Rd end of the mainstand and the narrow standing bit underneath. Can't remember if we were there due to the weather but remember that Frail got sent off at 2-0 them.. O'Boyle scored one of second half goals. Irons the last one maybe? Not a huge Sts crowd but a great atmosphere by the end.

Edited by Norsaint

The Hearts game was in August' 94, just checked BWP, goals from Miller, O'Neil, O'Boyle and Irons. We got put out in the next round by (eventual winners) Raith, apparently the attendance at the latter match was 6,287. Seems remarkable for an all 1st division midweek league cup game.

The second game I ever got taken to was a 2-1 win against Celtic in 1993, seem to remember both the goals being crackers and coming really early in the match.

The comeback against Dunfermline in 94 that someone mentioned earlier was magic too.

I also remember listening to a cup game against Stirling in '94 on the radio, seem to remember us being 3-1 down with about 2 minutes to go then scoring twice.

Edited by Mike

Kanos goal against Dundee that sent us on our way to Europe. My mate actually has Paul Kanes top that he wore on that famous day, brings back great memories.

George O'Boyles goal from the halfway line against Motherwell.

Being part of the small band of Saints fans at Celtic Park last year when Dave MacKays goal had us in raptures.

Sandaza last minute goal against Hibs last season in a 3-2 victory.

Jason Scotlands goal against Hibs at Tynecastle in League Cup Semi Final. What an atmosphere that night!

The whole of the 7-2 match against Dundee! And the 5-0 victory at Dens the same year!

Miguels goals against Vassa in the UEFA Cup.

The whole day against Morton when we won the 1st Division. The game and celebrations after in the 208 will live long in the memory!

Beating Ross County in Dingwall a few years ago in the 1st Division. I had been working in England and was fortunate enough to miss the heavy defeats to Partick, Dunfermline and Clyde (I think!) so was dreading the trip up to Dingwall, but Collin Samuel got us the goals and the train was rocking on the way back to Perth!

Standing in Bar Street in Eskieshir surrounding by my fellow Saints fans and Eskisehirspor fans will not be forgotten, a wonderful experience!

The 125th Anniversary dinner, was great to be surrounding by some many Saints legends (Wullie Ormonds team, 1998/99 team etc).

Finally, many of my best memories are travelling on the bus or train to away games with my mates, had some many laughs, nothing better than following your team all over the country.

Through Shite'n'Muck......