Dundee Utd V Saints 26/12/12 K-O 12 Noon

The ghost of Jim Morton

We were as good as utd,if not better for long periods and could easily have won it.Muzz had great quick feet to get away from two defenders,then toe poked it wide,when he probably should've scored,then Tade did well to out muscle the defender to create a great chance,but instead of a simple square ball to McClean he chose to shoot and it was blocked.Tade caused loads of problems all game,Cregg and Muzz closed down really well,and Scobbie had a decent game too,apart from a couple of misplaced passes,but defensively sound.Technically we had a clean sheet for 90 minutes,after their early goal :wink:

£21 to get into Tannadice on the day after Christmas. Thanks for your kindness, Dundee United.

Awful start to the match. As a belated Christmas present, we gifted United with far too much space from a set piece. They used it immediately and didn't even bother to say 'thanks'.

Our poor defensive marking continued throughout the match and was definitely one of the low points of the afternoon.

I have said many times previously that you can't expect to win games if your defence is shoddy and you don't take advantage of your own chances. This shouldn't be a struggle to comprehend, but our players still seem to be getting to grips with it. We had some gilt-edged opportunities (Davidson and Tade) which were wasted.

Peter Pawlett was impressive on the wing, and it's just a shame we don't have a similar player to go on the left side instead of Liam Craig (who had a better game than the previous few, but was clearly still the weak link in the midfield).

Paddy Cregg's movement was excellent at times, and was complemented by tough-tackling Murray Davidson who is having the season of his career so far, in my opinion. Also, a shout-out to my homeboy Tade who put in a strong performance, particularly in the 2nd half.

I wasn't too keen on the choice of substitution. Greg had been causing problems up top, but suddenly he was put on the right-wing in place of Peter Pawlett whilst Rowan Vine was introduced. Our momentum stalled a bit at this point.

Apart from that, a good display generally. An entertaining game with some great movement from the players. The only thing lacking? Once again - goals.

In the usual circumstances, you wouldn't be too disappointed today after coming back from such an early blow but with results over the past few months, we could have done with the three points. We never really let their goal effect us, played pretty well but again missed too many chances. Both teams had opportunities but their goalkeeper made the better saves, including the late one from Tade which looked impressive and won his team a point.

Their goal was incredibly frustrating. Frazer Wright caught on the ball by Flood (who was their best player, as he was in Perth IMO) and then Cregg adjudged to have fouled Russell. Gunning totally unmarked six yards out and Mannus seemed lost in the goal. Criminal marking before that though and Gunning got free headers all afternoon. Our goal was a brilliant run from Pawlett after neat work in the lead up and his cross went in off McLean.

Scobbie showed a bit of promise at left back and Cregg did well again. Murray Davidson grew into the match after looking injured early on and Tade had his best game in a while, causing havoc in their defence.

It'll be a decent point if we can pick up positive results against Inverness and Dundee.

Left Tannadice feeling a wee bit disappointed that we had not ended the hoodoo and picked up all three points but if I am honest, a draw was about a fair result. Was a decent game of fitba and either team could have won it near the end.

Stand outs for me were Cregg, Muzz and Tade. Great Saints support and all in all an enjoyable day oot.

Bring on ICT..

Felt like we should have won that...Liam, Muzz and Tade all had great chances to put us ahead, but I suppose they had a couple of chances too.....was it Mannus or Scobbie who saved / cleared off line from yet another dangerous Utd set piece?

We seriously need to get somebody other than Liam on the dead balls

Got in to Dundee at 12.20 thinking it must be a 3pm ko as no one was walking about, turns out I was half an hour late :laugh: Then find out we are 1 down :cry:

From what I saw it was a decent match, thought Cregg was lucky to stay on the park after nailing Rankin, 1 of those that could of been a red depending on which ref we have in charge.

Thought Muzz had a good game.

Thought we coulda had Hasslebaink instead of Vine.

Like how Scobbie bombed it up the line in the 2nd half quite a few times.

If only we could score :?

Fun day out in dundee, just a few more saintees than the celtic game I was at! Very impressive turnout by saints fans.

Thought dundee were going to score from every set piece/corner but otherwise looked very average. We had by far the best open play opportunities, although seemed to resort to the hoof in the last 15 -20 minutes. Vine !?!?!?, you see tade and maclean hustling for every ball and he was standing around like the queen of sheba....

All in all,saints were a better side, and tade is fun to watch.... Seems to have more limbs than the average human!

We are going to try and make the cali game also, expecting lots of goals!

Muzz and Tade both had chances to win it at the end....

Disappointed with Tam Scobbie, he was too slow on the ba today, his dithering led to the free kick they scored from.

£66 to get in for 2 + 2, and then £18 on pies and that, £14 for the bus (which was good value) nae wonder tey only had 7000 there, would they no be better makin it a tenner and fillin the auld place up?

A draw was probably a fair result given the chances they had from set pieces.

Thought murray was brilliant today especially considering his appearance appeared in doubtwitha knock he got in the warm up.

Back 4 settled into a good game following a bad start and thought scobie did well. A wee bit rub of the green and we would have picked up3 points.

Edited by mainstand

One day we are gonna end up giving someone a right dooin - when that day is feck knows ---we seemed to settle for the draw when we equalised and had we played as a unit going forward we would have sneaked that today -too many sat back allowing Utd to come at us -we need to put pressure on our opponents instead of it being the other way around -That said a points a point and keeps us away from the bottom club .

cmon Mr Lomas get this sorted out and stop giving us all that racing heart feeling ---we ARE better than what we are producing ---get the belief instilled.

Disappointed to lose. First half was all United, good goal thanks too horrible defending again from a set piece, we should probably have had a penalty when Tade was manhandled too the ground but the ref made it clear we'd get nothing today, his decision to give Dundee United a free kick when Daly went up unchallenged for a header and Murray Davidson looked at him was odd, no idea what he saw.

Second half was all us, could easily have had a couple but the keeper was fantastic. Was a shame to see the young United defender Watson go off as I know he's had horrible luck with injuries, it was definitely his arm as he refused to move it afterwards and held it up in the "sling" position, looked like he was close to collapsing before he got subbied. Although that lead to an opportunity to sing "Are you ET in disguise" to Willo Flood, who took it quite well and responded with some random gesture, I think he was calling folk fat laugh.gif

Was hilarious hearing the home fans booing Skacel and Armstrong going off, considering Skacel is probably one of your higher earners but is obviously just wanting money until Hearts can sign him again, while Armstrong contributed very little and was clearly running out of steam. For what its worth the two boys who came on looked much much better than the two who went off. It also has to be said Willo Flood's returned to the player Pre-Celtic, fantastic display from him.

For us everyone played fantastic. Cregg completely ran the midfield for us, he's certainly been a far better signing than I ever thought he would be and seems determined to prove it. Murray was Murray, fantastic sequence in the first half when United cleared the ball about 4 times in a row and he won the header every time laugh.gif Craig was poor, he looked half arsed in the first half but was a different man in the second. I think a high pressing game suits him, as he stepped it up in the second and his celebration when we scored was as passionate as anyone in the stand, for that alone I think we need to keep him, he understands us.