Saints V Dundee Fc 2Nd January 2013 Ko 2Pm

glenrothes saintee

What a dull game. Thank god we were playing a Dundee team that look no better than an average 1st division team. Had we been playing anyone else in the SPL today I doubt very much we would have finnished up with anymore than a point today. Am I the only one who's tired of hearing the cliche that 'one day were going to give some team a real doing'??? When exactly will this be? It most certainly wont be soon with the lack of cutting edge, creativity and awful set plays that we are witnessing week in week out. I don't know what's happened to Tade but he just doesn't seem to have the confidence he had early on in the season. He's winning very few balls in the air now opposed to almost every ball earlier on in the season and more often that not wants to cut back and loop round defenders opposed to driving on. Our players also need to bust a gut to get forward too, theres too many times when we get to the byline and nobodys gambled on getting into the box. As others have said we've played far better and got SFA so should really be happy with the points. Lets hope the break gives the players an opportunity to rest and come back with more energy.

Yet again when there is a higher than average home crowd, the team fail to deliver. I have spoken with at least 3 guys I know that don't normally go that went today. The "oh well, it's 3 points" stance is okay for us die-hards to contemplate and appreciate, but that means f-all to them that we are hoping will come back on a more regular basis...something they won't do if that is what is on offer.

Right from the point where MacLean was starting on the bench, I must admit I had a bit of a downer on. He is 5 times the player Tade is, and we have seen how MacLean, Vine and Pawlett can play the ball through a strong centre half pairing (Hearts). Tade lost everything just about in the air as their CH's were big and strong, but, as Tade is not a quick thinking player, Vine had no chance playing alongside him of creating anything, hard though he tried.

Muzz was poor, Millar was nothing short of shocking. Wright and Cracks did some decent defending, but, jesus, their distribution is hellish to say the least. Mannus' kicking was poor today, but he was strong when needed to be. Want to see how bad Pawletts dive was, but ffs, he was past the defender and in a dangerous position. If he has dived, he needs a severe kick up the arse.

I too was raging at Hasselbank taking the ball into the corner. I suppose it was partly due to my frustration at the way the team had performed the whole game and partly because whatever he does, I think he is a complete and utter waste of space. I can see the argument in hindsight for what he did, but doesn't mean I have to like it.

I thought Mackay played decent, I will take Scobbie at left back, has the confidence to make passes (not just punts) and makes some pretty clever runs (one which Hasselbank never saw - unsurprisingly) and I think he can tackle and read a game. The fact that some think Liam played well can only be in comparison to the dross he has served up in previous weeks. Pawlett was industrious and it was a brave challenge (free-kick??) on Douglas that got us the goal (although he should have done better in a similar situation later in the half when his touch let him down.

Like others, I actually feel dejected tonight as opposed to ecstatic that once again we beat the Dee

Last two games played pretty poor in both games agreed.

Against the second in the SPL played crap only got a point.

against the bottom in the SPL played crap got three points.

Oh and against the top of the SPL won one drew one.

Having watched saints over the last 48 odd years thats about as good as it gets i would say?

Terrible game was pleased with the win but football was awful. Aimless lacking passion and energy. How many times the ball was punted up in the air to nobody, zero movement and midfield slow to support the strikers. Mannus' distribution terrible, more slices than a cake shop, Murray looked knackered possibly after carrying the team recently. Millar worst game I have seen, how Lomas has not realised Craig is a woeful set piece taker by now is beyond me. Tade tries hard but had no decent service, Vine is a quality player but disappears too often and shies away from challenges. Only Dave and Pawlett were better than average and Nigel seems to have lost confidence after Hibs debacle taking the ball to the corner when with his pace it was a great chance to try and get a second said it all and wound me up no end. Pawlett is some player and would love to keep him, has been best player I have seen in most matches have seen him play.

3800 saints fans today, 1200 more than we usually get, sadly think it will be back to 2600 for our next home game which is a shame! Not the first time we've had a big home support and been terrible! The positives are we kept another clean sheet, we won and unbelievably we are 4 points of second! Huge win today despite the performance being rotten!

Crime against entertainment out there today.

I understand those instructions came from the management but I just found it ludicrous watching us take the ball into the corner at home against such a poor side, passing up what could've been the best opportunity of the game to go 2-0 ahead. It seemed like we were happy to settle for the 1-0 win from very early into the second half. You won't see a reaction like that to that tactic 99% of the time because fans tend to know when their team needs to do that. It just seemed absurd to me in those circumstances.

I'm not usually one to take a dislike to any of our players but I think Hasselbaink is vastly overrated. A bit of pace (when he feels like it), a few step overs and an inflated ego is all he's got. He flatters to deceive.

Edited by SaintSam1884

What a tragic game, the lack of effort by some of our team was nothing short of disgraceful and Dundee deserved a draw for the fight they showed in the second half.

Mannus was absolutely horrific when attempting to kick the ball, it's as if the Alan Main chants brought back the spirit of Main to possess Mannus' legs. But his last minute collecting of the ball from a Dundee corner was glorious, too many keepers of old wouldn't have done that.

Mackay was ok at the back and decent going forward, still doesn't seem to motivate anyone when we ease off though, which is his job.

Wright and McCracken were there usual selves. Won everything in the air but can't control their feet, they either thump the ball long or batter it towards each other, ****ing tragic for this level.

Don't know what happened with Davidson but I think he hurt his back landing, shame as he was doing well. Scobbie was solid and offers a wee bit of drive on that side but isn't great on the ball.

Pawlett done well again but doesn't take on his man enough for me, don't know whether he dived or not but I'd be disappointed if he did as it was agreat opportunity to cross.

Muzz once again went missing when we needed him, it's all when and good diving into challenges but he hides far too much, needs to take more responsibility. Millar was horrendous and clearly wasn't fit, stupid decision to put him in there.

Craig was probably the best player, always looks for the ball and tries to do something out the ordinary routine, credit to him for getting in the box to score and he seemed to regain his passion for the shirt today

Tade was dreadful, although he never gets a ball to his feet it's always 10 yards ahead of him. Think he's just short of confidence though

Vine started well and showed why he showed be up the middle, by far our best player but got taken out the game in the second half by our complete inability to do anything other than punt it

Dundee will be relegated, we barely got going yet still comfortably won. Milne's past it and Nish is clearly giving up due to the amount of pointless, hopeless thumps that come his way. Nicky Riley impressed me but he's not smart enough, takes the wrong option everytime