Fakes V Saintees Sat 2Nd Feb Scottish Cup And Celery

Dr Christmas Jones

McLean has shown he can score earlier on in the season, and we knew Tade was a hot and cold player when we signed him. Hasslebaink has so much potential but wants everything on a plate. No effort whatsoever. Some of his feeble attempts at tackling are laughable. I thought lomas would get that sorted out to be honest.

However, I also think May is a better option, given the quality we have on midfield. How many crosses do we get in that are just not attacked at all by the front two.

Edited by montrosesaintee

McLean has shown he can score earlier on in the season, and we knew Tade was a hot and cold player when we signed him. Hasslebaink has so much potential but wants everything on a plate. No effort whatsoever. Some of his feeble attempts at tackling are laughable. I thought lomas would get that sorted out to be honest.

He's scored 5 goals this year. Two against Queens Park, one against Dundee, one against Hearts and one against Cowdenbeath. That's dreadful for a forward, he's only scoring against shite. His only goal against decent opposition was Hearts, when he scored a 3 yard tap into an open goal

He's scored 5 goals this year. Two against Queens Park, one against Dundee, one against Hearts and one against Cowdenbeath. That's dreadful for a forward, he's only scoring against shite. His only goal against decent opposition was Hearts, when he scored a 3 yard tap into an open goal

Aye, fair enough, his return is poor, but before his injury at Dens Park he looked dangerous most of the time. He hasn't looked anything like that likely to score since.

Aye, fair enough, his return is poor, but before his injury at Dens Park he looked dangerous most of the time. He hasn't looked anything like that likely to score since.

:huh: Before the Dundee match he'd played 4 minutes against Celtic, 17 minutes against Ross County then the 90 minutes against Queens Park. What you've effectively said is he was good in the match against a Third Division team

Tade and Vine have never been prolific in their careers. IMO Maclean was probably brought in to be the goalscorer. At one point down South I'm sure he had scored about 40 odd goals in a 2 year period. It just isn't happening just now. If the keeper makes a great save its not fair to blame the striker. At least we are making chances. If we had a 20 goal striker you can guarantee he wouldn't be at Saints very long.

Tade and Vine have never been prolific in their careers. IMO Maclean was probably brought in to be the goalscorer. At one point down South I'm sure he had scored about 40 odd goals in a 2 year period. It just isn't happening just now. If the keeper makes a great save its not fair to blame the striker. At least we are making chances. If we had a 20 goal striker you can guarantee he wouldn't be at Saints very long.

In 2003/2004 he scored 23 goals in League Two at Scunthorpe, then followed this up with 20 goals the next year at Sheffield Wednesday in League One. Hasn't hit double figures since

Tade's most prolific season was 2007/2008 at Stranraer where he scored 12 goals, in the Third Division. He's not reached double figures since

Vine's most prolific season was 2006/2007 at Luton Town, where he scored 15 goals in the Championship. Since the he's not reached double figures

As usual wen a good crowd turns up we don't win!!

Thought we did ok in nidfiled but some woeful defending gave them them a couple alont with crap finishing!

Great crowd from us Shamei couldn't be reflected on the pitch

. all for the 53rd year.

Ye get used (tired) to it after a while. As you say everytime there's a decent crowd turn up...

The occasional major trophy might do wonders for support but...

You know, there are other attacking roles, not just the "number 9". MacLean's strengths are his link up play between the midfield and a striker. How often have we had a striker capable of continually hitting double figures in the last 20 years? Scotland and Sandaza are the only 2 I can think of. Dobbie had the ability as well but didn't realise it until after his spell with us.

I wish The Troll was allowed back on p&b, easier to ignore his posts there.

Still 22 days to go, won't be long. Unless I just create another alias of course

You know, there are other attacking roles, not just the "number 9". MacLean's strengths are his link up play between the midfield and a striker. How often have we had a striker capable of continually hitting double figures in the last 20 years? Scotland and Sandaza are the only 2 I can think of. Dobbie had the ability as well but didn't realise it until after his spell with us.

I know the role he plays. I've often said he's one of the best strikers I've seen at St Johnstone at holding onto the ball and linking up. But right now we don't need that. We need someone who'll finish the chances that are being created and he's simply not taking them. Given a choice between him and Tade I'd choose Tade most of the time. Especially if we're playing with a lone striker as MacLeans game is completely redundant if he's not got a strike partner.

Sheridan would've been a perfect foil for this team I think, but I know that won't happen

Thing about MacLean that annoys me is his desire to not move towards goal, always seems to be outside the box picking out a pass instead of actually trying to score. He's more often than not our only centre forward, he needs to score more

As a positive we played some nice football today. If goncalves played for us we'd have won by 5. However, same story as most of our games this season. Miss sitter after sitter and the opposition scores all of their shots on target. Mannus wasn't at fault for the goals but my money would say on his form today Samson would have saved them both.

Loan players looked good today too. Mehdi the pick of the bunch but Doughty looked good.

Mention for Scobbie too.

:huh:/> Before the Dundee match he'd played 4 minutes against Celtic, 17 minutes against Ross County then the 90 minutes against Queens Park. What you've effectively said is he was good in the match against a Third Division team

Was it that little? Crikey. I just recall him looking like the guy who knew where the goals were and then he got injured. Must have been just jumping to conclusions.

How very st Johnstone fan like of me :/

from official site - It remains to be seen whether injured midfield duo Chris Millar and Murray Davidson will be involved and the game comes too soon for Steven Anderson and Gary Miller. [/

color][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-

serif]seems my question wasnt that daft [/

color]

Told you so.

Official site are usually a week behind.

I see a lot of positive posts about Tade but as much as I like the guy if you sit back and look at it as a neutral you have to admit the guy has done very well to end up playing at this level. Awful with his head, no first or second touch and poor in front of goal. Brute strength, pace and a fantastic engine and desire make him likeable and occasionally very dangerous but unfortunately it's too rare.

I'm desperate for him to do well as he's a great professional and I'll never criticise him for a mistake at the game but I just don't see a player there.

Edited by Broon

I see a lot of positive posts about Tade but as much as I like the guy if you sit back and look at it as a neutral you have to admit the guy has done very well to end up playing at this level. Awful with his head, no first or second touch and poor in front of goal. Brute strength, pace and a fantastic engine and desire make him likeable and occasionally very dangerous but unfortunately it's too rare.

I'm desperate for him to do well as he's a great professional and I'll never criticise him for a mistake at the game but I just don't see a player there.

I think he is at his best being used, as he was on Wednesday, through the middle. He causes chaos as he doesnt give the centre backs a second and forces them into mistakes.

I think May should be given a chance aswell, the strikers we have haven't performed while Mays got something like 9 goals in 17 games for Hamilton. But I can also see why he is still out on loan. He's going to play every week for Hamilton. He would only get that here if he instantly performed, if not he'd be stuck on the bench until the last 5 minutes as per. It can only help him playing every week and I hope we sign him onto a new contract so we get the best of it.

But the abuse he would get would be the same as Caddis got when he started for us against Motherwell way back. Got subbed at half time, got called useless, was blamed for the loss and there were calls for us to get rid of him. St Johnstone fans over react whenever a youngster is coming through, no patience at all

He would never get a game every week anyway, Lomas is never consistent. Edited by McD

I think he is at his best being used, as he was on Wednesday, through the middle. He causes chaos as he doesnt give the centre backs a second and forces them into mistakes.

Two glorious chances again today. He just missed too many chances to be a striker. 2 goals in 19 games. Dave mackay has the same.

Thoroughly dissapionted today. We had three great chances to take the initiative and probably go on and win that game but yet again we fail to take advantage. Like other posters I'm desperate to see Tade do we'll but if u were to count the clear chances he has had over the course of the last few games but not taken its clear to see that his goal return just isn't good enough for a SPL striker. McLean certainly wasn't any better today either.

So Lomas has now brought in some exciting cover to boost the midfield but that's not going to help us with our goal scoring problem. There were a lot of positives today. I thought Vine had a fantastic game today and showed some great link up play but unless we become more ruthless in front of goal were going to have to endure more frustrating results like this