Fans Representative Meeting Tonight

slf

The thread is sort of spanning two subjects now, the focus group and league reconstruction but if I could comment on the later, I really hope Saints come out and talk to the fans about why they seem set to vote for something that the majority seem against. Explain it to us, make us understand why you feel this needs to be pushed through. Personally, I accept that a sixteen-team league won't work because there will be too few home games and a likely reduced TV deal as a result but a lot of fans still talk about sixteen teams, so clearly the message hasn't been put across well enough. Likewise, I accept the arguments against eighteen teams but I don't think the reasons against that have been spelled out well enough by the clubs either.

I can see why we need the smaller leagues in the current climate but what I want to be convinced about is why we need this early split system, that this season would have prevented Ross County from having what could be the finest season they ever have. The clubs appear to have agreed to redistribute the money between 24 teams in this new system, so why can't that be done in the current system we operate with? Are TV companies really going to pay that much more for this new 8-8-8 system? I actually don't mind the current twelve-team SPL (or indeed the ten-team league we used to have) but there needs to be another relegation place and play-offs would surely boost income and profile.

There are several more questions I'd like to see answered but whether it's an open meeting, a statement on the website or a letter to fans, please don't just let there be a silence until the middle of April, when STV or the BBC tell us that all twelve clubs have voted to implement this new structure.

If I was looking at Saints fans representatives, I d expect to see a woman, a dad who takes his kids to the games, a young lad/lassie 16/18 all amongst them in order to give it balance.

I might be well wide of the mark but I wouldn't be suprised if all the representatives were middle aged blokes.

As we don t know who these people are though we don t know.

I am on the Focus Group and attend all home games and some away with my teenage son, been, a fan for 40 odd years, there is a Father who takes his wee kids and wife(Das Rave)

A Woman-This is covered by 2 females in different age brackets.There are also 2 teens on the Panel So it is far from being all middle aged blokes.

And the group has grown from 7 to 10 and as far as i know is not a closed shop

20 team spl with one home & one away = 38 games with two up two down.

Teams for the 20 team spl

Aberdeen
Celtic
Cowdenbeath
Dundee
Dundee United

Dunfermline
Falkirk
Hamilton
Hearts
Hibs
Inverness CT
Killie
livingston
Morton
Motherwell
Partick Thistle
Ross County
St.Johnstone
St.Mirren

I add the current top 1st divison teams

Edited by dan loves saints

A lot of the reconstruction talk hinges on Tv money. Without sky and ESPN our game is dead. Not my words or outlook but sadly true. And they want 4 OF games, sooner rather than later.

Personally I don't think Scotland has enough 'big' teams to sustain an 18 or 20 team top flight anyway.

So that really leaves us with 10 or 12 team top flight. Personally I'd prefer 12-12-10-10 over 12-12-18. The two 10 teams leagues should be regional, most sensible is North/South, as these would effectively be the 'wee' teams, so limiting their travel should cut costs and boost crowds.

The way forward IMO is summer football and less midweek games. I know recently my kids have missed a few games because kick off times are just too late. Also taking kids to watch football in sub zero temperatures is verging on cruelty, especially against Killie!

Summer football is 100% the way forward. The quality of play always gets worse along with the pitches.

It adds value to our tv deal as the league will help with short-term subscription loss over the close season months.

It means our teams will be in better shape for the start of European competition.

It would encourage more to attend games.

A break can be introduced for international tournaments, if our national team qualifies.

I'd like to suggest the club arrange for a batch of the strips to be sold on to Eses to be sold in their club shop. Wouldn't that gain the most exposure and possibly highest sales from Turkey, rather than having every individual Turkish fan having to pay for their own P&P separately? A dedicated web page would be excellent too, though.

Really hope the sponsor issue gets sorted out before too long, as the sooner this can go on sale the better. I'd also quite like to see the team wearing it in our last game this season.

I would rather they went for the maximum revenue rather than rushing into something just to get the shirt on show at the end of the season. There are big opportunites out there with this link, its just a case of grabbing them and it could work for both the sponsor and Saints.

Back on topic its great to hear of the openness of the meeting and get a report on what the focus group does.

Saints are listening. I have put a few ideas together and along with someone else are in the process of getting a meeting with the club to discuss a few things. it's certainly not a closed shop (which it may have been in the past)

well well well, another season is nearly over and a possibly a new league being formed but still the sfa and the clubs are not listening to fans.  i have yet to hear anyone say that they are happy with 12-12-18 playing some teams 4 times a season.  if ur in the top 8 ull play everyone 4 times.one word garbage.  the same format with a slight difference.  it not changing the fact we play teams four time, most ppl i have spoken to and listened to on the radio wish for a bigger league with playing teams twice a season, home and away once.  16 doesnt work because because its only 15 games home games, so i say two league of 20 and a super league below that feeds top junior teams like tayport, auchinleck, pollock into the league.  the reason they wont go for this is because they think theyll be too many meaningless games well newsflash guys we can have ust as many meaningless games in the present format especially after the league splits.   this must be first season where it has not been the case.

I will tell all the spl clubs one thing changing the format to 12-12-18 will not bring the fans back. especially when most fans dont want it, its more likely to drive fans away.  all this idea is doing is nailing more nails into the already dieing brand that is scottish football.

And the group has grown from 7 to 10 and as far as i know is not a closed shop

That's fine - there is nothing to stop the club publicising that though.  They could let everybody know who the group consists of and that ideas are welcome from anyone.  They could explain the reason for the group, what is discussed, how regularly it meets, publish a summary of what was discussed etc.  A summary has been provided on this thread from those that do attend and that is welcome but that's only really come about because a thread was started by SLF which allowed people to comment and probe a bit further.  I don't understand what all the secrecy is about.  

That's then linked to the point Radford has made very well above; if league reconstruction has been put to the group then the views could be fed back and an opportunity for other fans to give their view offered.  If there is a case for 8-8-8 that we are unaware of then tell us.  It might change people's perspective on it.  As it stands all that we being met with is total silence which leads me to think it will be implemented regardless come April, further alienating an already dwindling fan base.  Present people with the facts and then even if they don't agree with the decision they can perhaps appreciate why it was made. 

That's fine - there is nothing to stop the club publicising that though.  They could let everybody know who the group consists of and that ideas are welcome from anyone.  They could explain the reason for the group, what is discussed, how regularly it meets, publish a summary of what was discussed etc.  A summary has been provided on this thread from those that do attend and that is welcome but that's only really come about because a thread was started by SLF which allowed people to comment and probe a bit further.  I don't understand what all the secrecy is about.  

That's then linked to the point Radford has made very well above; if league reconstruction has been put to the group then the views could be fed back and an opportunity for other fans to give their view offered.  If there is a case for 8-8-8 that we are unaware of then tell us.  It might change people's perspective on it.  As it stands all that we being met with is total silence which leads me to think it will be implemented regardless come April, further alienating an already dwindling fan base.  Present people with the facts and then even if they don't agree with the decision they can perhaps appreciate why it was made. 

unfortuntaley this all about the financial aspect that the club is worried about.

well if less people go to the games because they dnt want the format.  then less money through the gates.

It WILL be implemented regardless ( as loing as they get the 11-1 vote...... which aint guaranteed ) I don't  much like it but as a Saints FAN I will continue to attend games. Others will make their own minds up.

I have urged the  Chairman to hold a public meeting where the club can  present their reasons for  feeling that this is the only way forward. There is another meeting next week and I will again be championing this..

For me it makes perfect sense.  An open meeting where the  club put forward ALL the facts of  why this must happen.

I urge all of you to contact the club by email   enquiries@perthsaints.co.uk  and mark them for the  attention of Steve Brown, or by snail mail 

St Johnstone Football Club

McDiarmid Park

Crieff Road

PERTH

PH1 2SJ

Again marked for the attention of Steve Brown

The one thing that aint gonna happen is that the club will suddenly  change position because of the fans though. They backed the "fans"  on the Rangers situation and sadly, the "fans" have  failed to back the club with attendances  hitting rock bottom at a time when our club needs every penny.

Frankly I don't blame them.

unfortuntaley this all about the financial aspect that the club is worried about.

well if less people go to the games because they dnt want the format.  then less money through the gates.

How many less can there be Mole? We are close to the hard core now mate. And as I explained above, we threatened our club over the Rangers fiasco, they backed us and  then  plenty of those who  had threatend " not to go back unless the club did the right thing" didnae go back anyway.

Whether you like this or not and whether you say you won't go back if it goes ahead, Saints  back this  and will  vote for it. If enough folk stay away, all that will happen is the club we all support WILL end up part-time. which given the shite support we have , is probably all we deserve sadly.

Edited by The ghost of Jim Morton

ghostie to be fair, i have backed the club to the tune of £445 and my auntie bought season tickets this yr as well i didnt have season tickets last year but we chose to help the club and buy season tickets after the rangers saga.

i also dnt blame ppl for not  being able to back the club when u buy a season ticket for saturday games and by the inverness game in april we will hae had 3 saturday home games in 2013.  we are also in a recession where ppl have to choose between going to the football and putting food n the table.   The price of scottish football as a whole is substancially overpriced.

we also have security staff who through ppl out for sneezing the wrong way. the attendances are poor yes but how much of that has to do with midweek games.

ghostie to be fair, i have backed the club to the tune of £445 and my auntie bought season tickets this yr as well i didnt have season tickets last year but we chose to help the club and buy season tickets after the rangers saga.

i also dnt blame ppl for not  being able to back the club when u buy a season ticket for saturday games and by the inverness game in april we will hae had 3 saturday home games in 2013.  we are also in a recession where ppl have to choose between going to the football and putting food n the table.   The price of scottish football as a whole is substancially overpriced.

we also have security staff who through ppl out for sneezing the wrong way. the attendances are poor yes but how much of that has to do with midweek games.

Lowest Saints home SPL attendance of the season ???  SATURDAY v Killie.

I fully understand that peoples finances are very very tight, I also understand that with so many non Saturday 3pm k-o's that folk miss games and get pissed off.

I also totally agree that the fitba is too expensive.

On the  G4S front, the club have done and are doing all they can to manage  the situation. This was getting much better until Saturdays  set back but as I have explained  on this thread, that was a blip which is being addressed.

The absolute bottom line here is simple though. Either the people of Perth and Saints fans  from the wider communities back the club  and we prosper or  folk walk away ( for  any or all of the reasons you have stated and others) and the club  as a business will downsize. I suspect that the budgets for next season will be  viciously slashed at best and  at worst we could  end up part time.

People just have to decide what they want.

ghostie i understand what u  r saying these plans though will kill the game in scotland

no body wants them

this is nt going to get more ppl bck into the stadium

Games already dead mate. Cannae kill it twice.. I aint having a go at you by the way. But I am sure you know that. With a bit of luck The Midden and  Ross County will kill this plan off but the problems with cash will still continue and should the TV companies pull out because the plan dies then we really are all fecked..

Lowest Saints home SPL attendance of the season ??? SATURDAY v Killie.

I fully understand that peoples finances are very very tight, I also understand that with so many non Saturday 3pm k-o's that folk miss games and get pissed off.

On the G4S front, the club have done and are doing all they can to manage the situation. This was getting much better until Saturdays set back but as I have explained on this thread, that was a blip which is being addressed.

The absolute bottom line here is simple though. Either the people of Perth and Saints fans from the wider communities back the club and we prosper or folk walk away ( for any or all of the reasons you have stated and others) and the club as a business will downsize. I suspect that the budgets for next season will be viciously slashed at best and at worst we could end up part time.

The clubs want TV money. The clubs want fans through the door. The fans don't want the demands TV brings. In my opinion Scottish football crowds will continue to dwindle while this is the case. The problem will really come if TV pulls out. Then by taking the TV money and alienating fans they will have nothing.

I actually don't think any reconstruction will change this. Do the authorities think that thus recondtruction woll being the crowds back? If they do then their market research is poor in the extreme. People are so disillusioned with the product, with Doncaster, Regan and Longmuir that they will probably never come back. Saints may have done the right thing by voting against Rangers being allowed into the SPL but those three prostitutiing themselves has set things back.

The problem with Saturday crowds now is that there are so few Saturday games that people have found other things to do.

Getting back to the gread title. I actually don't think an open meeting is the way to go. It could be chaos and put the board off ever consulting again. I would prefer fans representatives. People to represent specific groups. What we appear to have is a focus group. Now that has a place but reading this thread suggests to me that it's not what is required for the really important issues.

Lowest Saints home SPL attendance of the season ??? SATURDAY v Killie.

On the G4S front, the club have done and are doing all they can to manage the situation. This was getting much better until Saturdays set back but as I have explained on this thread, that was a blip which is being addressed.

The absolute bottom line here is simple though. Either the people of Perth and Saints fans from the wider communities back the club and we prosper or folk walk away ( for any or all of the reasons you have stated and others) and the club as a business will downsize. I suspect that the budgets for next season will be viciously slashed at best and at worst we could end up part time.

The clubs want TV money. The clubs want fans through the door. The fans don't want the demands TV brings. In my opinion Scottish football crowds will continue to dwindle while this is the case. The problem will really come if TV pulls out. Then by taking the TV money and alienating fans they will have nothing.

I actually don't think any reconstruction will change this. Do the authorities think that this reconstruction will bring the crowds back? If they do then their market research is poor in the extreme. People are so disillusioned with the product, with Doncaster, Regan and Longmuir that they will probably never come back. Saints may have done the right thing by voting against Rangers being allowed into the SPL but those three prostitutiing themselves has set things back.

The problem with Saturday crowds now is that there are so few Saturday games that people have found other things to do.

Getting back to the thread title. I actually don't think an open meeting is the way to go. It could be chaos and put the board off ever consulting again. I would prefer fans representatives. People to represent specific groups. What we appear to have is a focus group. Now that has a place but reading this thread suggests to me that it's not what is required for the really important issues.

Edited by john1962

Getting back to the thread title. I actually don't think an open meeting is the way to go. It could be chaos and put the board off ever consulting again. I would prefer fans representatives. People to represent specific groups. What we appear to have is a focus group. Now that has a place but reading this thread suggests to me that it's not what is required for the really important issues.

I agree that an open ,meeting has the possibility of turning into a moanfest and will no doubt be dominated by several very loud or domineering people.

The idea of the Board speaking to a seleced group is highly unlikely to give a representative view. Saints should in my view be speaking to people selected by the individual fans groups, Someone Glasgowm Edinburgh, Jeanfield, Inverness, A Wap rep etc and they in turn should be responsible for discussing the views with their members.

Guest Mongy Max

Looking at matches this season I dont think I will get a season ticket next year. It would be a waste of my money as I wouldn't make many midweek games, if any. We have played every day of the week this season and I can't justify the money.

I understand clubs need tv money and fans but there needs to be a happy medium. This season has seen Aberdeen at saints on a Wednesday night and Kilmarnock at Inverness on a Tuesday, no wwonder bums on seats are low!!!!

I will come to Saturday home matches but a season ticket doesn't make financial sense for me. Sorry Saints

Looking at matches this season I dont think I will get a season ticket next year. It would be a waste of my money as I wouldn't make many midweek games, if any. We have played every day of the week this season and I can't justify the money.

I understand clubs need tv money and fans but there needs to be a happy medium. This season has seen Aberdeen at saints on a Wednesday night and Kilmarnock at Inverness on a Tuesday, no wwonder bums on seats are low!!!!

I will come to Saturday home matches but a season ticket doesn't make financial sense for me. Sorry Saints

Have to agree with you...football attendances are dwindling...and Saints are asked to travel to Inverness on a Friday night! How many Saints fans could realistically make the trip. I work, so finishing at 5.00pm would make the trip impossible. I understand TV deals dictate, but surely the fans come in to the equation also? Feel sorry for clubs like Saints & the like ......need the TV money,but it is the TV which is killing off the game one way or another!