Stevie May

rik2304

No disrespect to Rotherham, but I'd be very surprised if he went there. As has been mentioned May said he had no interest in Peterboro, so I'd have expected the same response for Rotherham.

Having just signed that contract extension the club will be in no hurry to accept an offer either. The Peterboro one might have appealed slightly as May was out of contract in the summer..but no longer.

You'd have a better chance with Tony Watt. Seems he's pissing the Belgians off (well their manager anyway) and could be back across the channel quite quick.

I think the hardest obstacle to overcome for Rotherham in their pursuit of Stevie May is the player himself rather than the money. Steve Brown said that he would have accepted Peterboroughs bid of 300k if it had been in one installment so a large bid in one installment could be accepted. However Stevie May didn't want to go to the Championship in the summer and would take a lot of convincing to move to Rotherham. 

Welcome to the Rotherham chap, who is as pleasant and intelligent as the idiot from Peterborough was condescending and stupid.

May is probably our best young "find" for a good few years - in terms of strikers, probably the best since Fat Ally. (We don't talk about him now much, because he's the manager of some lower-league bunch of tax-dodging Sectarians called the The The Sevco Rangers or something).

With all due respect to Rotherham (who I vaguely remember getting to a League Cup Final in nineteen oatcake and causing a lot of excitement?) it is disappointing that Scotland's current player of the month is attracting bids from League One sides. We're under no illusions about the terrible decline in the standard of Scottish domestic football, but surely we're not now at English League One level? I mean no disrespect, but that is quite hard for us to get our head round.

I think May would now go for half a million - maybe less with very generous future move clauses.

I think the hardest obstacle to overcome for Rotherham in their pursuit of Stevie May is the player himself rather than the money. Steve Brown said that he would have accepted Peterboroughs bid of 300k if it had been in one installment so a large bid in one installment could be accepted. However Stevie May didn't want to go to the Championship in the summer and would take a lot of convincing to move to Rotherham. 

Peterborough are not in the Championship. :wink:

We wont sell him for anything like 300k now. He was pretty much untested at this level back then and had less than a year on his contract.

Yeah, he'd scored a slightly lucky goal against Hearts (good strike but a dodgy offside call) and a quick thinking goal against Rosenborg.  He wasn't even a regular fist team starter until a month or so later.  Very good point.

Mind you, Rotherham, as one door closes another one opens. We have an outstanding young midfielder called David Robertson you might be interested in. Strong, creative, pacy, scores as many goals with his left as he does with his right. I can honestly say that there has not been one single word of criticism about his play for the first team for many, many months now.

I think the price would be about £250,000 to move him on.

Who do we make the cheque payable to?

An interesting comparison the SPL and the English Football League.  The decline of our national team is because of the amount of imported players, meaning that many talented players now need to ply their trade lower down the league ladder. 

Last year in League Two, we had Kari Arnason signing for us after turning his back on Aberdeen with a £5k per week wage demand (allegedly).  And one of our first games in our new stadium was against a full strength Hearts side who we narrowly lost out to 1-0 with a newly assembled squad.

We have just offloaded Lionel Ainsworth to Motherwell, and another ex-Miller from our League Two days, Nicky Law, had success in the SPL.  Michael Tidser came with rave reviews from Greenock last year, but he can't force his way into the team just yet, and I would hazard a guess, he would have been one of the first names on the team sheet for them in the Scottish Championship this time around.

Peterborough in the same league as us, paid £1.5M for a striker recently.  And Wolves who are in top spot have a number of players reputed to be on £30k - £40k per week.  So I would suggest that in terms of stature and squad ability, there is certainly a comparison to League One and the SPL.

An interesting comparison the SPL and the English Football League.  The decline of our national team is because of the amount of imported players, meaning that many talented players now need to ply their trade lower down the league ladder. 

Last year in League Two, we had Kari Arnason signing for us after turning his back on Aberdeen with a £5k per week wage demand (allegedly).  And one of our first games in our new stadium was against a full strength Hearts side who we narrowly lost out to 1-0 with a newly assembled squad.

We have just offloaded Lionel Ainsworth to Motherwell, and another ex-Miller from our League Two days, Nicky Law, had success in the SPL.  Michael Tidser came with rave reviews from Greenock last year, but he can't force his way into the team just yet, and I would hazard a guess, he would have been one of the first names on the team sheet for them in the Scottish Championship this time around.

Peterborough in the same league as us, paid £1.5M for a striker recently.  And Wolves who are in top spot have a number of players reputed to be on £30k - £40k per week.  So I would suggest that in terms of stature and squad ability, there is certainly a comparison to League One and the SPL.

Thanks for the response. You're maybe cherry-picking a little there - I could say that Celtic, with Sky money (EPL teams have more in their petty cash box than Celtic get from TV rights) would be a top 8EPL team within a couple of years, but that's no indication whatsoever of the general SPL standard, which is pretty awful. But (and it's difficult to say this without sounding disrespectful) not maybe quite yet, on the average, at League One level (in real money, Division 3).

I should say that St Johnstone are also an unfashionable, provincial club who have won feck all worth talking about by the way!!!!!! You sound like you'd fit in here.....

But on the other side of that coin, Jennison Myrie Williams seems to get rave reviews in League One - but is possibly one of the worst players I've ever seen play for us.

May could play at a higher level than League One.