Stevie May

rik2304

The hardest job in football is putting the ball in the net.

Takes a lot more focus for a full back to mark his opponent out of a game for a full 90mins and not allow them to score / provide an assist (whilst also getting up and down the wing to support the midfield  / strikers)  than it does for doing not much for a lot of the game then in one moment sticking the ball in the back of the net

Yes, goals win games.....but conceding goals loses games also. I can see no reason why a striker should be considered more likely than any other player on the park to be considered for an award

Edited by Edstar101

Takes a lot more focus for a full back to mark his opponent out of a game for a full 90mins and not allow them to score / provide an assist (whilst also getting up and down the wing to support the midfield  / strikers)  than it does for doing not much for a lot of the game then in one moment sticking the ball in the back of the net

Yes, goals win games.....but conceding goals loses games also. I can see no reason why a striker should be considered more likely than any other player on the park to be considered for an award

The very fact that goalscorers cost so much money tells you they are much more sought after.  I can see what you are saying Ed, but ask any coach/manager whether they would rather lose their left back or there top scorer to another club or injury or whatever reason, I'd bet about 99% would rather lose their left back.  I'm not saying that Robertson didn't deserve the award, I haven't seen enough of him to judge.  \i do stand by what I said about the hardest job in football being the scoring of goals though.

Pat Nevin on Sportscene last night reckoned the ballot happened a while ago, possibly when May had a little dip in scoring, so he can consider himself unlucky with regards to the timing.

As for Andy Robertson, it is pretty impressive in your first season as a professional at 19 years old to be selected for the national team.  His energy, power, skills and consistency have impressed anyone who has watched Scottish football this season, obviously he has impressed his peers.

I don't think we can really complain about Robertson getting the award - he's been outstanding all season.  If (as really should happen) the decisions be made at the end of the season, and Saints win the Scottish Cup, with Stevie scoring in the final too, then both the young player and manager awards should probably have gone to Perth, but that isn't the case.

Conversely, Dundee United could win the cup with Robertson playing a blinder.

Bumped into him at the Corinthian last night at the after party, didn't seem to be too worried about the loss of the award (though I never asked)! He deserved the accolade and it's pretty poor he never got it dispite Robertsons great season! As others have said, hopefully he ties down for another season and we can get a bit of cash for him this/next summer!

The very fact that goalscorers cost so much money tells you they are much more sought after.  I can see what you are saying Ed, but ask any coach/manager whether they would rather lose their left back or there top scorer to another club or injury or whatever reason, I'd bet about 99% would rather lose their left back.  I'm not saying that Robertson didn't deserve the award, I haven't seen enough of him to judge.  \i do stand by what I said about the hardest job in football being the scoring of goals though.

Maybe consistent goalscorers are rarer, doesn't mean that on an individual basis they are better

All I'll say is swap Andy Robertson for Brian Easton - would we be any better off for points? I guess it's debatable but for me defensively Easton is just as good. We may have scored a couple more goals (but we may have conceded more too).

Swap Stevie May for any Dundee Utd striker and we'd be about 15 points worse off.

That's why goalscorer are so valuable, because you NEED them. You can get by with an average full back.

Edited by Broon

If you were to name the fifty best players of all time you'd be well done the list before a full back is mentioned. Strikers are more valuable to a team. That's the way it is.

Sorry to sway from the thread but, off the top of my head Beckenbauer, Zidane, Moore, Cruijff in midfield and Roberto Carlos in defence.

Stevie May is no less a player for not winning the award of YPOTY.

Sorry to sway from the thread but, off the top of my head Beckenbauer, Zidane, Moore, Cruijff in midfield and Roberto Carlos in defence.

Stevie May is no less a player for not winning the award of YPOTY.

Ashley Cole......surely the best left back in the world

No, hold on, that is in the eyes of the English media...he is, in fact, an over-rated fudd

Zidane and Cruyff were attacking players in the sense that their main job was to help in the scoring of goals. The only full back on that list is Roberto Carlos and I'd suggest to have him in the top fifty is pushing it somewhat.

Agree with your second point, the award means nothing in the grand scheme of things and Robertson undoubtedly had a good season but I'd be giving it to May even without the blue tints on.

All I'll say is swap Andy Robertson for Brian Easton - would we be any better off for points? I guess it's debatable but for me defensively Easton is just as good. We may have scored a couple more goals (but we may have conceded more too).

Swap Stevie May for any Dundee Utd striker and we'd be about 15 points worse off.

That's why goalscorer are so valuable, because you NEED them. You can get by with an average full back.

Easton is a fair player, but evidently does not catch the eye of his peers in the way Robbo does. RE hypothetical personnel swaps......IMO United lack a classic 'no. 9' in the May mould, we have tried Graham, but so far hit has proven less successful than JMac's favoured formation containing 4 classic two footed 'no. 10's' all chipping in with significant goal hauls. If we had a Stevie May, JMac may feel differently, but this season we have scored considerably more goals than Saints and with no little panache, consequently I would not swap any of our front 4 for Stevie May, good as he is! Edited by Smarmy Arab

Easton is a fair player, but evidently does not catch the eye of his peers in the way Robbo does. RE hypothetical personnel swaps......IMO United lack a classic 'no. 9' in the May mould, we have tried Graham, but so far hit has proven less successful than JMac's favoured formation containing 4 classic two footed 'no. 10's' all chipping in with double digit hauls. If we had a Stevie May, JMac may feel differently, but this season we have scored considerably more goals than Saints and with no little panache, consequently I would not swap any of our front 4 for Stevie May, good as he is!

Fair enough - I don't think any Saints fan would swap May for any of your front four either, as good as they are.

You have your fit, we have ours and both have worked well this season. Testament to the two managers, and shows you can have success with a different focus/mentality.

Zidane and Cruyff were attacking players in the sense that their main job was to help in the scoring of goals. The only full back on that list is Roberto Carlos and I'd suggest to have him in the top fifty is pushing it somewhat.

Agree with your second point, the award means nothing in the grand scheme of things and Robertson undoubtedly had a good season but I'd be giving it to May even without the blue tints on.

He is the only full back on my list!

Opinion is an individual and selective thing. Roberto Carlos is often thought of as one of the top 10 Brazilians of

all time. Here's someone who thinks so http://voices.yahoo.com/top-10-best-brazilian-soccer-players-all-time-12548587.html

He scored a few in his time so maybe you could turn that in favour of your argument!

Edited by Saintdunc

I agree. I'd imagine he'll pick up various writers and journalists awards. But seriously who cares, he's a saintee and awards mean nothing in the grand scheme of things of we win trophies and see him go on to have he great career we all know he's capable of having!

I have got to say IMHO that May and Robertson would both have been worthy winners ( and congratulations  to Robertson) I would have been pretty pissed off if either of the other two nominations had won. But why are these awards decided before the end of the season WHEN we win the cup TW is without a shadow of doubt MOTY ........but today can we really argue that McInnes is a worthy winner............I Think not. Keep these awards until the season is over even have the final voting on the night it cant be that hard to organize a secret vote at an end of season dinner.

I don't think we can really complain about Robertson getting the award - he's been outstanding all season.  If (as really should happen) the decisions be made at the end of the season, and Saints win the Scottish Cup, with Stevie scoring in the final too, then both the young player and manager awards should probably have gone to Perth, but that isn't the case.

Conversely, Dundee United could win the cup with Robertson playing a blinder.

Hope no