League Reconstruction

Dylan-Saints

Funnily, since the demise of Rangers the vast majority of clubs in Scotland have got their act together and are in a much better economic state than ever. The economic benefits of the old firm, when they existed, benefited those 2 clubs only and I for one do not want us to ever return to those days.

Remarkably many are getting more fans through the gate, that's despite the millions of fans Rangers bring.

Rangers, my team :oops:

To be fair, I think your posts have been reasonably well presented, and someone arguing from a non-biased viewpoint made me think, and others post some reasoned responses.  I don't agree with you, but I never thought you came across as a The The sympathiser.  Some folk just like to attack as soon as someone posts something mildly confrontational.

To be fair, I think your posts have been reasonably well presented, and someone arguing from a non-biased viewpoint made me think, and others post some reasoned responses.  I don't agree with you, but I never thought you came across as a The The sympathiser.  Some folk just like to attack as soon as someone posts something mildly confrontational.

Shoot first ask questions later on here mate.

Don't think Wee John is an orc, just playing Devils Advocate ( must be Donald Findlay's day off :) ).

some are catholics and because of that, your Queen loving unionists Rangers are despised to a degree that over clouds any sensible reasonable thinking

for others,you's are just a bunch of cheating, crooked,foul mouth thugs,that just got the sh i t kicked out of their rabbied intestins...there is a cure for rabbies and it takes time to heal = they are serving that time now and i hope you've learnt the lessons

I think some are blinded by their hatred and are not prepared to listen to any argument.

kinda like the OF fans are towards each other.

Probably right John. Funnily enough in the days of Alec McDonald & Sandy Jardine they were actually my second team but since Souness came to the club my dislike has grown into hate but I wouldn't think it had clouded my judgement. I would have had the same opinion re reconstruction had it been Dons or Arabs etc etc. No one should be given preferential treatment.

I like the league structure as it is. There are very few meaningless games. Can't help but think that a 16 or 18 team league would cement us as a mid table mediocre team who have many meaningless games. I fear it would undermine the team spirit and drive that having something to play for gives us. The split probably suits teams like saints the best.

I like the league structure as it is. There are very few meaningless games. Can't help but think that a 16 or 18 team league would cement us as a mid table mediocre team who have many meaningless games. I fear it would undermine the team spirit and drive that having something to play for gives us. The split probably suits teams like saints the best.

Spot on Montrose, i had not thought about it in these terms before but as one with many years of experience of watching Saints in an 18 team league you are describing exactly what happened in the past and I would not want to see it again.  I like turning up at McD thinking 3 points today will get us into the top 6 or 3 points will keep us in with a chance of yet another go at Europe.

This is exactly how I feel. The top 6 split has been a great addition in terms of giving everyone something to play for. Without that split, making the "top 6" would be something that nobody would especially care about.

If I was making format changes to the Scottish leagues I'd be far more inclined to change the play-off finals into one-off matches at neutral venues, and look into regionalising the lower leagues.

Agreed, the playoffs are far too much in favour of the premiership team staying up. If you finish 11th you don't deserve protection IMO. Straight semi finals home and away and a one off final at hampden I'd say.

I agree with all of that except the Hampden part. Think that for the best possible atmosphere it would be best to pick a neutral venue of a size that suits the likely attendance. Also I guess using Hampden might be difficult if it's generally going to be played on the same weekend as the Scottish Cup Final.

• 10 months later...

With 2 championship team in Scottish cup final,does it prove there is not much between divisions & 16 team league is now an option.

defo cagey, there should be immediate reconstruction, no relegation from top flight and top four from championship promoted......for the benefit of the game in Scotland it simply has to happen .

defo cagey, there should be immediate reconstruction, no relegation from top flight and top four from championship promoted......for the benefit of the game in Scotland it simply has to happen .

Yeah,its the only way you Arabs will be in top league in next 5 years.

With 2 championship team in Scottish cup final,does it prove there is not much between divisions & 16 team league is now an option.

Not only is the 16 team league an option but, in my opinion, will definitely come to fruition particularly were certain events to overtake the Ibrox club.

I imagine in the near future the SPFL will be undertaking behind the scenes discussions with respect to increasing the number of top league clubs at the end of 2016/17 season. This to head off, or avoid, accusations from fans when/if Sevco fail to successfully negotiate next season and end up in 11/12 position.

It would be remiss of them to wait and see if the establishment club can survive in the top league.

SPFL clubs (boards/chairmen) will be happy to go along with anything that gives them access to the perceived benefits of the blue pound.

Not only is the 16 team league an option but, in my opinion, will definitely come to fruition particularly were certain events to overtake the Ibrox club.

I imagine in the near future the SPFL will be undertaking behind the scenes discussions with respect to increasing the number of top league clubs at the end of 2016/17 season. This to head off, or avoid, accusations from fans when/if Sevco fail to successfully negotiate next season and end up in 11/12 position.

It would be remiss of them to wait and see if the establishment club can survive in the top league.

SPFL clubs (boards/chairmen) will be happy to go along with anything that gives them access to the perceived benefits of the blue pound.

Sadly I think you are correct Indicator, this will depend upon events around one club who are too big to live without....even though we have.  One thing that has been evident from the last 4 years, not only do we not want them....we don't need them!  Well some do need them journalists mostly, over the last week the entire press pack who cover Scottish football have been in a state of arousal at the prospect of Sevco filling the shoes of the disgraced Ibrox outfit in the top flight.