Apprentice Boys Of....perth?

Smarmy Arab

I would normally ignore 'parades' of this sort, but on Saturday I was working in town and had no choice but to endure this poisonous event.  I watched, purely to satisfy my curiosity as to why this event occurs in this town, I had no idea there were 3000 ABOD in Perth.....there wasn't!  Motherwell, Saltcoats, Irvine, Airdrie, Drumchapel, Clydebank, the sort of places you would expect but not a single one from Perth or even Perthshire.  Begs the question...why?  The marchers were bad enough red faced angry young men insisting everyone listen to their drums banging like petulant infants ('look at me'), but what caught my eye was the steady stream of 'minders' in Sevco tops growling and snarling at anyone on the pavements with the usual charming combination of the overly aggressive and the monumentally thick.  Walking home I passed two pubs with the windows open and the usual repertoire of now illegal songs filling public space.   At a time when Scottish society is attempting to root out this toxic cultural malfeasance the Scottish Government posturing with legislation (however cack-handed) , and 'Scotland's shame' being chased to the margins, why would P & K allow this to infect our community? 

Thoughts?

Edited by Smarmy Arab

Typical P&K council,some old lady complains that the Anne Summer shops window display is too "saucy" so they make sure it gets shut down,but they allow this type of scum to walk through our streets spouting their bile.The good old council even giving a funny helping handshake by closing off roads for the vermin,i wonder how much money crossed paths during the said funny handshakes !!

Typical P&K council,some old lady complains that the Anne Summer shops window display is too "saucy" so they make sure it gets shut down,but they allow this type of scum to walk through our streets spouting their bile.The good old council even giving a funny helping handshake by closing off roads for the vermin,i wonder how much money crossed paths during the said funny handshakes !!

Yeh or if you paint a shop a vibrant colour they want you to change it or shut you down.??

I would normally ignore 'parades' of this sort, but on Saturday I was working in town and had no choice but to endure this poisonous event. I watched, purely to satisfy my curiosity as to why this event occurs in this town, I had no idea there

were 3000 ABOD in Perth.....there wasn't! Motherwell, Saltcoats, Irvine, Airdrie, Drumchapel, Clydebank, the sort of places you would expect but not a single one from Perth or even Perthshire. Begs the question...why? The marchers were bad enough red faced angry young men insisting everyone listen to their drums banging like petulant infants ('look at me'), but what caught my eye was the steady stream of 'minders' in Sevco tops growling and snarling at anyone on the pavements with the usual charming combination of the overly aggressive and the monumentally thick. Walking home I passed two pubs with the windows open and the usual repertoire of now illegal songs filling public space. At a time when Scottish society is attempting to root out this toxic cultural malfeasance the Scottish Government posturing with legislation (however cack-handed) , and 'Scotland's shame' being chased to the margins, why would P & K allow this to infect our community?

Thoughts?

Smarmy , this is an excellent post seen from the eyes of an observer.

How many Councillors that voted for this event to take place in our " Vibrant City" were actually present to witness what you witnessed .

Pete Wishart was one who voted against this and was openly critical of it taking place.

I applaud him for this.

This has done lots of harm to Perth and sod all good.

And don't give me this claptrap about it bringing money into the town.

Their own spokesperson commented that things went off without incident and they returned to their coaches and departed.

Would rather Councillors channelled their efforts in filling City centre shops that are presently empty . ( and not with Bookies shops either).

Excellent post Smarmy , should put this in the local papers as the Council more than anything else, hate to read any criticism of themselves.

...that is kinda what I'm thinking Hoods.  I think I will write to my elected reps, maybe even the papers, not that it will change much!  But the people of Perth should not have to tolerate this on the hottest day of the year so far, on a bank holiday weekend, time we spoke up.  It will be interesting if anyone on here makes a case for the defence, but I'm not convinced the marchers know what this is about.

...that is kinda what I'm thinking Hoods. I think I will write to my elected reps, maybe even the papers, not that it will change much! But the people of Perth should not have to tolerate this on the hottest day of the year so far, on a bank holiday weekend, time we spoke up. It will be interesting if anyone on here makes a case for the defence, but I'm not convinced the marchers know what this is about.

Spent 24 yrs. working on the West coast and one of the first things my wife and I encountered in the work place was " what foot do you kick with"

I adopted my English neighbours response.

Her reply was she was neither a Catholic or a Protestant.

She claimed to be a Calothumpian .

You just had to be there to witness the expressions on the faces of the bigots.

I have to agree with the aforementioned posts! On the one hand I would like to defend the right of freedom of expression, however on the other hand I feel particularly uncomfortable about the need of certain individuals to parade 'their bigotry' in public like a badge of honour!

Being Perth born and bred & relatively sheltered from this west coast phenomenon I am perplexed that our elected council felt the need to allow this march in our town! I see no connection, between the fair city and the bile this sort of parade attracts!

It certainly would not enhance the shopping experience! Car parks were closed, as were some roads. Myself & some old dear stood at a bus stop for 20 mins for a bus that had re routed earlier than it was meant to! Thought she was going to peg out walking from the town to Bridgend for her bus.

I'd like to know who picks up the tab for the clear up & the policing! If it comes out of my council tax I'd be really unhappy! A team like Saints spends an absolute fortune on a Saturday for the constabulary! Why should they, when our council pick up the cost for this farce! I for one don't want my town associated with this sort of sectarian crap!

I did laugh at a pal of the wifes,this pal claims to be a true blue,she even went and bought a Rangers top for her 10 year old lassie 2 days before the event to wear with pride while joining in the walk...........Fecking nutter if ya ask me !!

I have to agree with the aforementioned posts! On the one hand I would like to defend the right of freedom of expression, however on the other hand I feel particularly uncomfortable about the need of certain individuals to parade 'their bigotry' in public like a badge of honour!

Being Perth born and bred & relatively sheltered from this west coast phenomenon I am perplexed that our elected council felt the need to allow this march in our town! I see no connection, between the fair city and the bile this sort of parade attracts!

It certainly would not enhance the shopping experience! Car parks were closed, as were some roads. Myself & some old dear stood at a bus stop for 20 mins for a bus that had re routed earlier than it was meant to! Thought she was going to peg out walking from the town to Bridgend for her bus.

I'd like to know who picks up the tab for the clear up & the policing! If it comes out of my council tax I'd be really unhappy! A team like Saints spends an absolute fortune on a Saturday for the constabulary! Why should they, when our council pick up the cost for this farce! I for one don't want my town associated with this sort of sectarian crap!

====

Agree with your comment W.S.

Meant to add to my previous comment , growing up in Perth, religion was never a question I was asked.

Its is called Freedom of Speech.......and thats what they are doing.....why they need to do it in Perth, that begs a different question.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it is very much the same question.  'Freedom' of any kind extends only as far as the next person's 'freedom', if it inhibits the 'freedom' of others it becomes something else.  I would argue sectarianism as a phenomenon, historically and currently inhibits the freedom of others and is consequently at odds with the very concept of 'freedom'.

As I understand it, according to law, the council couldn't block the march even if they wanted to. They can only object to the date, time, route, duration of the march. They're legally obliged to accommodate the march and it's spectators so that means arranging policing, road closures etc.

I can't see why they couldn't have done their march in a big empty field somewhere, the majority of people in attendance weren't even from Perth so I don't see the need to hold their march here. It doesn't benefit the people of Perth, well apart from B&B's and hotels with people staying overnight and the odd pub, but it drives local people away from the town centre.

I had to take my mum to work at 1pm on Saturday and it was a nightmare getting into the town, with all the diversions on top of the roadworks that are already present. I was totally surprised once I eventually got into the town though, I was just on the edge of the route and the streets were half empty, far far quieter than your average Saturday lunchtime. Then encountered the hassle of getting out of the town centre again, it took me 20 minutes to get from the police station to the glasgow road. About 30-35 minutes in total to get from the town to oakbank, about double the normal time on a normal day.

As I understand it, according to law, the council couldn't block the march even if they wanted to. They can only object to the date, time, route, duration of the march. They're legally obliged to accommodate the march and it's spectators so that means arranging policing, road closures etc.

I can't see why they couldn't have done their march in a big empty field somewhere, the majority of people in attendance weren't even from Perth so I don't see the need to hold their march here. It doesn't benefit the people of Perth, well apart from B&B's and hotels with people staying overnight and the odd pub, but it drives local people away from the town centre.

I had to take my mum to work at 1pm on Saturday and it was a nightmare getting into the town, with all the diversions on top of the roadworks that are already present. I was totally surprised once I eventually got into the town though, I was just on the edge of the route and the streets were half empty, far far quieter than your average Saturday lunchtime. Then encountered the hassle of getting out of the town centre again, it took me 20 minutes to get from the police station to the glasgow road. About 30-35 minutes in total to get from the town to oakbank, about double the normal time on a normal day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years ago Dundee had parades at 7am, to avoid the trouble, cos they insisted on walking through Lochee.  This could be the solution, 7am the Glover's Arms to Madderty then back on their buses to the west?

By any chance were the council given ££££ to allow it to happen?

Its not all about money though, its about doing the right thing!! ridden society of these things

Why do they need to march through any town centre its beyond me? whats the need for it?!

Edited by PerthSeany

Point of historical fact Andy. Catholics did not ask for separate schools, a hostile Scottish education system demanded the the nit ridden immigrants be kept apart from their own offspring, a simple product of centuries of anti Catholic (Irish catholic) bigotry. It is only since the 60's when catholic schools began to academically out perform NDs that the issue of Catholic schools became the mantra of the shrinking white Protestant skilled working class, a class whose influence and numbers are waining rapidly. along with their increasingly forlorn sense of entitlement to the best houses, best jobs, that we once so obligingly delivered through the crafts, guilds and unions, post industrial Scotland may not be a festival of tolerance and inclusion, but it is very different from its industrial predecessor.

That may be so Ed, like you, it does not bother me if anyone else has religious convictions, but the idea that Catholics receive some kind of extra funding because they demand it is bogus. As is the suggestion that Catholics do not pay their way, that somehow the avoid the burden of taxation, taxation that pays for education, believe it or not Catholics pay taxes like any other section of society and therefore can expect the state to 'build and maintain' a school system that for their children. I went to a catholic school, believe me it was nothing 'special' it was a bog standard comprehensive, the only difference from the nondem down the road being it had a chapel and 3 periods of RE per week. This question might be better out to those who 'demanded/insisted' on separate schools.....only to then 'demand/insist' that they be removed.