Question For Our Norwegian Friends

sjfcsteve

More questions for our Norwegian friends

What kind of adaptor do we need for the electricity? Would one that's suitable for say, Spain or Italy fit Norwegian sockets?

Is tipping expected in restaurants, taxis etc?

In pubs do you pay as you buy or do you get a tab which you settle on leaving?

Talking about booze, as Norway is not in the EU, you should be able to buy duty free at the airports lowest price in the uk if you're booked right through to Norway.

Thanks for your help

beer is usually served in 0,4L or 0,5L.

£7-£8 for a 0,5 all over the city.

£1,5-£2 for 0,33L bottles at the supermarket. If you gather in some park or something, the police will most likely leave you alone, as long as you don't annoy anyone. (Not at the town square though, but in the parks)

In the evening:

For you coming early, Bar Circus got beer (0,4L) for £3,5  (Opening hours is 8-2)  (musictype here is rock)

Thursdays and fridays a nightclub called Downtown got 0,4L beer for £2,5  (opening hours 10-02) (music here is piano / club music (several floors) )

Please note that Downtown (and maybe circus) don't allow footballshirts.

beer is usually served in 0,4L or 0,5L.

£7-£8 for a 0,5 all over the city.

£1,5-£2 for 0,33L bottles at the supermarket. If you gather in some park or something, the police will most likely leave you alone, as long as you don't annoy anyone. (Not at the town square though, but in the parks)

In the evening:

For you coming early, Bar Circus got beer (0,4L) for £3,5 (Opening hours is 8-2) (musictype here is rock)

Thursdays and fridays a nightclub called Downtown got 0,4L beer for £2,5 (opening hours 10-02) (music here is piano / club music (several floors) )

Please note that Downtown (and maybe circus) don't allow footballshirts.

Great shout mate. I had already pinpointed these two places of interest for at night.A large park for during the day Thursday looks like being the best bet for everyone gathering together.

Is there a TESCO or ASDA in Trondheim ?

We don't have the same brands of supermarket as you do, but the concept of the supermarket is just as, if not more, wide-spread here, as small corner shops are all but extinct.

You will find eight REMA 1000s and seven Bunnprises in or immediately near the city centre. You may also run into a RIMI, a Meny, a Kiwi, or one of the Coop-branded supermarkets. The selection and prices vary, though, with REMA 1000 and Kiwi generally having the lowest prices, and Meny, Coop Mega and Ultra having the highest selection.

Bound to be an ALDI or LIDL

Lidl did try to establish themselves in Norway a few years back, but failed miserably, and ended up selling all their shops to REMA 1000.

- 2 pin plug as stated above

- Tipping is not required anywhere, they make enough money so don't feel bad for them

- It varies from bartender to bartender, most will allow you pay for everything at the end. Best thing is to ask once you get there

What kind of prices for eating out and fast food outlets(KFC,McDonalds etc)

A few things you should know when visiting Norway.

•  

• You should avoid speaking in a loud voice in Norway.

•  

• If you are introduced to someone, always stand during the introduction.

•  

• Handshakes in Norway are brief, but firm. Avoid putting your arm around someone else, or even patting them on the back.

•  

• When toasting in Norway, make eye contact, raise your glass up to eye level, say "Skoal", take a drink, make eye contact again, and then place the glass back down on the table.

Edited by Grandtully Saint

• You should avoid speaking in a loud voice in Norway.

But don't speak so silently that people can't hear what you're saying, like I do.

• If you are introduced to someone, always stand during the introduction.

Or sit. Or lie down. It's also okay to stand on your head if you were already doing it before the introduction started.

• Handshakes in Norway are brief, but firm. Avoid putting your arm around someone else, or even patting them on the back.

Unless you want to become their friends.

When toasting in Norway, make eye contact, raise your glass up to eye level, say "Skoal", take a drink, make eye contact again, and then place the glass back down on the table.

No. What you do is hold your drink in the air, sing

(the first half is missing in that video), and drink as much as you can during the allocated time in the middle.

Only thing you need to keep in mind is that people in Norway are generally shy,

• When toasting in Norway, make eye contact, raise your glass up to eye level, say "Skoal", take a drink, make eye contact again, and then place the glass back down on the table.

Actually, what you do is shout "SKÃ…L!!!" (rhymes with fall) at anyone you meet, then drink. That would be popular, no lie. Especially if what you're drinking is Dahls.

Yeh I just copy and pasted off a website a I found! Thanks again vegard for the help :D

I figured  :wink:

Anyway, they were greatly exaggerated, and "skål" is really a magic word, meaning something like "yay, we're drinking alcohol!" Binge drinking is huge in Norway; everyday drinking is not.

Edited by vegard

Can you translate some phrases to help us if we are in a pickle in your fine city;

AWRITE GED,CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE TO GET SOME CHEAP PLONK AND SCRAN?

EXCUSEE MOI CHAPPY BUT YOU HAV NAE SEEN A GROUP O RUBS GOING PAST THE NOO HAVE YE?

I WAS WITH SOME SHAPES EARLIER AND THEY MENTIONED THE STRIPPERS...........JUST POINT ME IN THE DIRECTION PAL?

Moutcho grasias !!!

Can you translate some phrases to help us if we are in a pickle in your fine city;

AWRITE GED,CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE TO GET SOME CHEAP PLONK AND SCRAN?

EXCUSEE MOI CHAPPY BUT YOU HAV NAE SEEN A GROUP O RUBS GOING PAST THE NOO HAVE YE?

I WAS WITH SOME SHAPES EARLIER AND THEY MENTIONED THE STRIPPERS...........JUST POINT ME IN THE DIRECTION PAL?

Moutcho grasias !!!

Here you go baz

AWRITE GED, kan du fortelle meg hvor du skal få noen billige plonk OG scran? EXCUSEE MOI Chappy MEN DU HAV NAE sett en gruppe O gnir går forbi NOO har dere? Jeg var med noen figurer TIDLIGERE og de nevnte