Rosenborg V St Johnstone July 18Th Europa League 2Nd Round

Shibbydoo

I have started the Big Trondheim photo gallery over on my blog, just as I did last year for Turkey

http://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2013/07/18/the-big-trondheim-photo-gallery-europasaintees/

Tweet your pics to @stevensanph or tag them #europasaintee and I'll pick them up and put them here.  At the very least you can make all us poor sods stuck at home feel jealous!

Last night Mrs BC and I visited the Kieglekrowa. Ŵe found out they have different prices for regulars about 15% cheaper. The kilt is a great ice breaker and so they awarded us regular status from our second beer on. The barmaid there is a doll and speaks English better than us!

After that down to the microbrewery across the road, where I met old school pals AB, SG and GB. Cheers for the beers and the memories guys! Onward to Burger King for some late night scran (even that's 20 quid) and up to the Hotel Rica for a nightcap.

It's piddling down as I write. Mrs BC is in one of those moods "so what ARE we going to do then eh?". Might sleep till lunchtime and then an early sesh come three when the pubs open.

From RBK.no

When St Johnstone enters Lerkendal Stadium tonight at 19:00, it will be in front of a massive away crowd. About 500 Scots have arrived in the city over the last two days, and they are known as very loud audience.

They are nok as many away fans as the match against Legia Warsaw last year,. When 700 Poles made ​​ for  a great atmosphere at lower Rema tribune. The Scots have not the same bad reputation, so police do not envisage that there will be no trouble with supporters tonight.

St Johnstone conducted a light workout at Lerkendal Stadium on Wednesday night as they got ready to just its fourth participation in E-cup during the club's 129 years history.

Only ten players have scored goals for St Johnstone in European tournaments. So it remains to see if they manage to outwit Rosenborg goalkeeper tonight.

There are at least guaranteed a close and tough fight, as Per Joar Hansen said RBK.no yesterday afternoon.

Google translate.

Nicki Bille Nielsen has been assured that there's no risk of his hamstring injury coming back against St. Johnstone.
(...)
He is adamant that Rosenborg must treat tonight's tie like any other match, even though he admits he doesn't know everything about the opposition.

- We're playing at home, and here we must control games, he says firmly.

The striker is expecting an aggressive and hard working away team, and he has especially noticed the winger Nigel Hasselbaink, the nephew of Dutch legend Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

- He is fast and strong. We have seen some highlights from last season, and he has scored some very good goals, says Bille Nielsen.

- What kind of result would please you?

- It's difficult to say, but it's especially important not to concede goals, he says.

Tonight, Rosenborg will continue their journey towards the Europa League group stage this autumn.

Scottish St. Johnstone is the next obstacle, and several Scottish journalists that adressa.no have been in contact with can explain that the expectations for the team to advance from the matches against RBK are low.

- Rosenborg are known in Scotland as a strong side. We expect St. Johnstone to lose. A draw would be looked upon as a fantastic result, says Ian Roache in The Courier.

Most expect the Scots to play a defensive game at Lerkendal. Manager Tommy Wright will not go along with that.

- We can't come here and defend ourselves for 90 minutes. We will try to put Rosenborg under pressure, place ourselves high in the field, and put pressure on if we can. One thing I can say is that we will work hard to close them down, and keep them from getting into their rhythm. Because Rosenborg is a good passing side, he says to adressa.no.
[anecdote: Back in the mid-90's, when Rosenborg were a good team, Molde's manager Åge Hareide, when interviewed before an away match against Rosenborg, said that "to play defensively at Lerkendal is like sending Salman Rushdie on a bicycle through Tehran."]
Wright has been ringside watching RBK at several occasions, and has noted several players.

- Number 10. Chi... something? I don't know how to pronounce it.

- John Chibuike.

- Yes, him. And Nielsen (Nicki Bille) has done well. They're also strong in midfield with Jensen (Mike) and Svensson (Jonas). They were the ones to stand out in the matches I've seen, says Wright.
(...)
Attacker Nigel Hasselbaink expects a good atmosphere at Lerkendal Thursday night, but he has not been frightened by the videos he has seen of Rosenborg.

- No, why should I be afraid of them? They are human just like us, right?