Guest Mongy Max

Guest Mongy Max

Are Saints having a laugh?!

800 odd quid for a night and a half in Norway

24 quid for the home leg

All this despite:

80k fee for Lomas

40k fee for Brittain

AND the playing budget slashed considerably (halved I believe)

I cannot afford to support this club anymore. I am no doubt alone here but Mr Brown has priced me out of football.

Good Luck in Norway and this season

24 quid for the home leg

All this despite:

80k fee for Lomas

40k fee for Brittain

I cannot afford to support this club anymore. I am no doubt alone here but Mr Brown has priced me out of football.

A tad dramatic.

Guest Mongy Max

A tad dramatic.

-------

How so?

A two hour drive either side of a match, to pay over the odds for half a budgets worth of players!!!!

Edited by Mongy Max

24 quid for the home leg

All this despite:

80k fee for Lomas

40k fee for Brittain

Not alone. Was speaking to a guy that goes all the time in morrisons yesterday. He was through at Morton but says that might be his only away game and did nt renew his ticket because he thinks the club are shafting people that don't have children. Also the fact that pensioners are more expensive than students for a season ticket.

-------

How so?

A two hour drive either side of a match, to pay over the odds for half a budgets worth of players!!!!

There were other options than the chartered flight which would have meant a cheaper option. But even that itself is expensive I agree. Supporting the club does not mean you have to attend every single game though. You attend when you can and it is feasible. Steve Brown isn't trying to price fans out of football, he's trying to keep a club afloat during a recession. 

Last season the club loses money by subsidising the away trip, because it was likely to be a once in a lifetime thing. Now people expect it every year because the club continues to succeed.

£24 for a he game is in line with other clubs in Scotland. How is that Saints' fault? It's the gormless idiots at the SPFPLPFL that are to blame, over many years.

Pensioners are complaining that kids get in free. After all, it's their right to come to the football cheap, hurl abuse at our players and management, buy no pies or bovril, and leave halfway through the second half, without being bothered by noisy kids. The club is THEIRS and no newcomers are allowed to interrupt THEM. Who cares about the future of the club, they won't be there!

Support the club or don't, don't fecking drag everyone else down by whining about not being served world class football free of charge on a silver fecking spoon.

There were other options than the chartered flight which would have meant a cheaper option. But even that itself is expensive I agree. Supporting the club does not mean you have to attend every single game though. You attend when you can and it is feasible. Steve Brown isn't trying to price fans out of football, he's trying to keep a club afloat during a recession. 

Definitely other options available to fans.  On one hand I think it is decent of the club to offer the chartered flight, but the price does strike me as ridiculous when hearing what other fans have sourced independent of the club.  I can appreciate the fact they can't necessarily compete with the airlines prices but to be so adrift strikes me as odd. 

I know the club took a loss on the chartered flight last year, but I'm confused......aren't the players/staff flying there anyway? I don't know how it works but I can't picture Saints taking 20+ people on a Ryanair flight? (or whoever flies to Norway), so wouldn't that loss simply be reduced by putting 'bums in seats' on the flight? 

Pensioners are complaining that kids get in free. After all, it's their right to come to the football cheap, hurl abuse at our players and management, buy no pies or bovril, and leave halfway through the second half, without being bothered by noisy kids. The club is THEIRS and no newcomers are allowed to interrupt THEM. Who cares about the future of the club, they won't be there!

Assuming these 'pensioners' have been lifelong supporters of the club, I would have to see their point of view. I bet they've never been allowed to go to a game for free (well, excluding jumping the turnstiles at Muirton!) so to see the club offering free attendance to kids must be a bit of kick in the place the teeth used to be?

Only time will tell if it's the right thing to do, I have absolutely no idea how many of these kids allowed in for free will support the club for their lifetime, but with the food kiosks back 'in house', if they don't we're at least making some money from the parents at the moment as a result - afterall, it's not like we're opening another stand every game and incurring the costs associated to allow the kids free entry.  Win(food)-Win(no additional stand)-Potential Win (lifelong supporters). 

Assuming these 'pensioners' have been lifelong supporters of the club, I would have to see their point of view. I bet they've never been allowed to go to a game for free (well, excluding jumping the turnstiles at Muirton!) so to see the club offering free attendance to kids must be a bit of kick in the place the teeth used to be?

That is the problem with the game/country too much self interest. 'If I can't have it why should they?' etc etc

Guest Mongy Max

Montrose, I'm not asking for world class football free. I am asking pay an adequate amount for average football.

The price of football in general is horrendous and I would much rather pay money to spend time with my family than drive a four hour round trip to pay over the odds watching average football.

The numbers just don't stack up for me, we have had the highest income post season for decades, best league position in years AND two years money from UEFA, yet we have slashed budgets and pumped up prices.

If you're happy enough to spend your money on this, fine but I am not

Edited by Mongy Max

That is the problem with the game/country too much self interest. 'If I can't have it why should they?' etc etc

I didn't say I agree with it, just that I can appreciate them potentially seeing it that way.  

Besides, I'm pretty sure pensioners have a reduced season ticket price (?), probably less logic behind that than trying to entice new long-term supporters via the free admission for kids IMHO.

And why is letting kids in free any different to bunging kids over the turnstiles, other than being legal and avoiding health and safety problems/fines?

Now this is what is wrong with the country.  

I didn't say it was any different, but I'm pretty sure the club didn't push that as an option, it just happened. 

Was it actually illegal? Wasn't trespassing "enter the owners land without permission" as technically you did have permission, I don't think permission can be subject to anything - you either have it or you don't.  Besides, no different than attempting to pay the lower admission when clubs offer reduced admission for under X - I've certainly done that more than once.  It's simply making the best of the situation.

Edited by Barty1884

Guest Mongy Max

Also, is the home tie not vastly cheaper with a season ticket? So the increased £2 in full price ticket is to recoup the subsidising of ST holders by penalising the glory hunters. Fine by me!

I hope the glory hunters comment is not aimed at me. Had a season ticket for 12 years before joining the forces and spent every bit of leave flying home to saints games, as well as driving two hours each way last season to games.

MM, if you have to travel 4 hours it gets expensive, I know. I have to pick and choose my games, but I don't feel the club is doing anything wrong.

Compared to Germany for example, the Scottish game is an absolute joke. However, if every club had been run like Saints for the last 27 years, we wouldn't be in this mess. It is so blatantly not Saints' fault that I feel I should be sticking up for them here.

Not having a go at you directly.

I hope the glory hunters comment is not aimed at me. Had a season ticket for 12 years before joining the forces and spent every bit of leave flying home to saints games, as well as driving two hours each way last season to games.

No, not aimed at you, aimed at glory hunters. The other 2500 folk who came to the Eses game and then vanished.

My bairns are all grown up - but i agree with the posts -I believe Saints should have gone further this season and had the familly season ticket price ONLY for the Adult as the Kids are the future.

The charter flight was always gonna be dear as it will be mainly full of the "business" group attached to the club who can write it all off on expenses and if thats the case then they can do what they want.

Norway was always going to be a nightmare and I am sure that everyone was praying for a Crusaders win -but hey ho.

Would have thought that the 2 Euro ties would have been priced at the same ie £18 - Saints will lose a lot of fans -particularly younger fans.

Re. The health and safety comment, I assume the club must report accurate attendances to the police/stewards, whereas I assume 'estimates' were perfectly acceptable back when humans had common sense.

I believe they do, but I've also heard both vastly inflated and clearly under-stated attendances reported in recent times, so I'm not 100% whether any of that is ever validated anyway. 

Wish I could remember the game from a few seasons back (first division days), forget where it was. The attendance was stated to be around 3,000 but I'm pretty sure you could count everybody in the ground. Remember having a good chuckle about that. 

My car key ring tab says "Keep Calm and Support St Johnstone".  I am in full agreement with Montrose and JFK. Saints have a hell of a job making ends meet and if we did better than break even last year then that should be set against the last few seasons when pitch problems cost us a fortune.  I have no problem with paying extra for the Rosenburg game and hopefully the next round game as well.

On pensioners, well I was 5 years old in 1946 when my father returned from the War and the second thing my mother asked him was to take me out of her feet to see Saints.  (The first thing she asked him was where the hell had he been for the last year on account of the fact she had heard the War finished in 1945!  It appears the Black Watch had a few extra jobs after everyone else went home)  I have no problem whatsoever with kids getting in free or with any other incentive SB comes up with to increase our support.