Prices

Guest Mongy Max

Would be interesting to see a percentage comparison of the average wage to football ticket price 10 years ago compared to now.

Just done a quick search, and in 10 years the EPL ticket price has risen 198%. Now I know this is not the case for the SPL but I'm sure I could find the figures somewhere.

In ten years, the average UK salary has risen by just under 25%.

My way of looking at it is that in the first season back in the Premier Leage at McD (1990-91) it was £6 to get into the East Stand. That was about one hour's wages to me.  It's now £22 - nearly 2 hours wages for me.

Look at this another way:

How many watched the match free online last Thursday?

I did.

This week i pay my dues. if over the odds? Maybe, but it all pans out.

It is the week in week out fans that should be rewarded.

if you don't go to every match, or most matches you should not get an promotional leg up.

I will pay £24.

So I work that out as a 72.7% increase in a Saints ticket.

Well it's almost double the value in real terms, so yeah about that.  Max, for what it's worth, I totally appreciate your point of view.  I'm in the fortunate position of not having kids to think of, doesn't mean I don't have priorities though.  You do what you need to do mate - it's easy for people on here to spend your money for you.

Well it's almost double the value in real terms, so yeah about that.  Max, for what it's worth, I totally appreciate your point of view.  I'm in the fortunate position of not having kids to think of, doesn't mean I don't have priorities though.  You do what you need to do mate - it's easy for people on here to spend your money for you.

Completely agree it is up to Max to spend his money how he wants. If he doesn't feel he can support St.Johnstone by going to games then he should not do so. The points I had an issue with were

Are Saints having a laugh?!

800 odd quid for a night and a half in Norway

24 quid for the home leg

Mr Brown has priced me out of football.

The pricing structure of Scottish football is not due to Steve Brown. He is merely trying to help the club survive whilst still challenging for things like European football. He is in a position of having to pay out more than the club take in almost every season and that is despite the fact we are running a very tight ship.

Brown was not to blame for the charter price. UEFA only giving us 1 week to organise a charter flight and us having no option but to pay it was to blame. Saints also subsidised the cost for fans to go so actually lost money on the game.

If we accept the cost of Scottish football as being a standard to look at Saints prices then £24 for a big tie with excellent deals for kids is not that bad.

Scottish football is shockingly overpriced and for that reason I also cant make as many games as I would like and I sympathise greatly with Max but it is not a problem exclusive to Saints. 

Anyway everyone can chose to go or not. I'll be there on Thursday and I cannot wait. Come on you Saints!

Guest Mongy Max

Why did the club have to take a charter??

Also, I accept people will come along and pay 24 quid for a big match but hoe many of these will come week after week paying 22 quid a go? Not many.

Iinstead of following suit why not buck the trend and drop the rates across the board for a season and use the transfer fees And prize money to subsidise this as opposed to chartering a ****ing plane.

Also, I accept people will come along and pay 24 quid for a big match but hoe many of these will come week after week paying 22 quid a go? Not many.

Iinstead of following suit why not buck the trend and drop the rates across the board for a season and use the transfer fees And prize money to subsidise this as opposed to chartering a ****ing plane.

To be fair Max, if Saints had flown on a scheduled flight it would have looked very unprofessional and they would have been crucified if Rosenberg had thumped us.  I think they were just giving the players every chance of winning the match.  What is it the British cycling coach calls it?  Narrow margins or something?

To be fair Max, if Saints had flown on a scheduled flight it would have looked very unprofessional and they would have been crucified if Rosenberg had thumped us.  I think they were just giving the players every chance of winning the match.  What is it the British cycling coach calls it?  Narrow margins or something?

Marginal gains.  After the result last week I didn't think I would hear another argument against the charter. Every day is a school day.  I would have been more pissed off if Saints had taken a scheduled flight and lost because they had subsidised match prices.  The best way of achieving a result is to fly door to door  or as near as is physically possible.  Did anyone see Millar's video diary where he asked TC how much kit they would take?  Excess baggage would have cost more than a charter.

Because of kit, your not gonna get the amount of kit needed on a Ryanair.  Plus you arent going to be able to get say 28 seats on a public fight that short notice.

Plus you dont get a direct flight from Scotland to Trondheim.

Something like the extra 1%. Improve all areas by 1%. Isnt much but when it comes to the crunch that 1% in many areas makes the difference.

Look at this another way:

How many watched the match free online last Thursday?

I did.

This week i pay my dues. if over the odds? Maybe, but it all pans out.

It is the week in week out fans that should be rewarded.

if you don't go to every match, or most matches you should not get an promotional leg up.

I will pay £24.

Hi Jason. Sorry to have missed you in Athens a few weeks ago. I'm really hoping Valetta turn over the Belaruskies and we are planning a Malta trip next. JM

Hi Jason. Sorry to have missed you in Athens a few weeks ago. I'm really hoping Valetta turn over the Belaruskies and we are planning a Malta trip next. JM

-----------------------------------------------

No bother at all - i was on the beach outside Posiden Hotel all day long....being watched over by this fine lady lifeguard!!!

If Malta happens.....it will be carnage - have a few mates out there working for betting firms (off shore/tax etc)!

m7anaGk.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

"double the value in real terms,"

Interested to see what you mean, what are your calculations...

----------------------------------------------------

"double the value in real terms,"

Interested to see what you mean, what are your calculations...

My way of looking at it is that in the first season back in the Premier Leage at McD (1990-91) it was £6 to get into the East Stand. That was about one hour's wages to me.  It's now £22 - nearly 2 hours wages for me.

1990-91 = about 1 hour's wages

2013-14 = almost 2 hours' wages

As I said, it's my way of looking at it - others may think it's rubbish though :laugh:

I don't think there is any question that football is too expensive. I have kids, and am proud that Saints recognise that the current young family is the hardest hit by 'austerity' (or whatever you want to REALLY call it). Not only do I get in for £7 cheaper my son gets in free. The older generation and the single person are generally better off.

It is a balance to strike, enforced by the nationwide cost of football. I think Saints have it right, or more right than others.

I know the above is very much a broad generalisation, but that's all saints have to go on too.

Everyone's going to be affected differently each year with the rising football prices. In the past I've been a season ticket holder and attended majority of games in a season but unfortunately other commitments have taken priority recent seasons and I am having to plan and choose which games I attend. 

Does It make me any less of a supporter? No.

I don't see the need for people to make a big point on here that they cant attend for financial reasons and various threads are always started with people complaining and who knows what they are trying to achieve?. The club has taken initiative and created various schemes to try and suit most parties but at the end of the day the club needs the money to survive. I for one am happy to pay more for a historic game.

COYS

Edited by The Special One

was speaking about prices and what you would pay to see a team, rock group, Boxing match etc, etc, with my son .

Brought on by £60 to see Real Madrid v Bournmouth, I remember paying £10 to go and watch dundee utd against Barcelona a fortune in those days but tanadump was full, also Mike Tyson at hampden can not remember what we paid for the ticket but a complete waste of money for minutes worth of entertainment, To see Saints beat Rosenbourg and progress into the next round priceless.  

Can't believe that people are complaining about £24 to watch the biggest ever game at McDiarmid Park. Take someone kids and pay £15.

Not complaining about a thing.....I truly believe we've been listened too recently and WEAREPERTH forum has given a strong influence in many recent aspects....

I took my brother to Trondheim last week.

I paid for both after flights, hotel, petrol to liverpool, parking at the airport, & food & drink etc i spent near on £700!

dont complain about £24!

(I won't change a thing in spending that money)

Good for you Seany. You can't buy the experience you had in Norway. It's just not possible.

I'm jealous. I couldn't go cos my passport had run out. Doubt new one will be here for Malta/Belarus either.

Firstly, I don't have a gripe at the prices, but....

The list of prices is more confusing than the Mortgage prices on the back of a Monopoly card. 1 adult plus 2 kids minus one season ticket into the North stand but ones 13-16 and the other is 12. ****s sake.Every single person through the turnstile will have to either show a season ticket, proof of age, or wait for change. Guaranteed there will be queues outside the ground at kick off.

If you are gonna vary the prices it needs to £5, £15, £20 or £25, or else plooky turnstile attendants are messing about with change and holding everyone up.

Same for pies and bovrils - they should cost either 50p, £1, £1,50 or £2. No messing around with 35p change.

If it's me that misses kick off  because of the 23 different kickoff prices, I'll be furious.