Top 5 Moments At Mcdiarmid

byebyedundee

I've been out the country for 9 years now and come to McDiarmid once maybe twice a year so i cant include last night however I'd imagine it must have been the best....

Would love to know what everyone else thinks maybe even do a poll.....

Anyway here's mine as I can only include the games Ive been to...

1.St.Johnstone 3....Airdrie 1 March 31st 1990

A

2.St.Johnstone 7....Dundee 2 December 31st 1996

3.St.Johnstone 5...Aberdeen 0 September 29th 1990

4.St Johnstone 4 ...Rangers 1 30th March 2010

5.St Johnstone 2....Celtic 1  september 15th 2012

1. Knocking Rosenborg out the Europa League

2. Beating Motherwell on the last day of last season, qualifying for the Europe league and running on to the pitch

3. Beating Celtic 2 - 1 at McDiarmid on the 15th September my birthday last year

4. Beating Rangers 4 - 1 at McDiarmid on the 30th March 2010

5. Promotion against Morton / 3 - 3 against Monaco at McDiarmid

The OP says 'moments'. My top 2 would have to be:

1. Watching the ball drop in the corner of the net as Stevie May turned to celebrate

2. Roddy's header nearly bursting the net against Airdrie. Followed by Roddys celebration in front of a packed North Stand

Both brought tears to my eyes!

As far as matches go.  Finding it difficult to put them in order but this is my best shot

1. Saints 3 Airdrie 1

2. Saints 1 Rosenborg 1

3. Saints 7 Dundee 2

4. Saints 3 Monaco 3

5. Saints 4 Rangers 1

The team is well set up, the management are spot on all we need is the folk in Perth to realise what they have on their doorstep! We can look forward to a season full of great moments.

My top 5 where I've been present..

1. Rosenborg 2013

2. East Fife 1997

3. Dundee 1999 (1-0)

4. Morton 2009 (3-1)

5. Rangers 1999 (3-1)

My top 5 'regrets' (Missed)

1. Monaco (living abroad)

2. Dundee 7-2 (new years family dinner..)

3. Rangers 4-1 (couldn't afford trip from Glasgow)

4. Vaasa (See Monaco)

5. Rangers 2-1 (2000/01 Parker and Sylla)(watched from a sports bar in Arlington, VA.. Myself, Athens Saint, a Leeds fan and about 10 Rangers fans..)

If we're talking individual moments rather than matches, I'd say (from games I was at):

1. Paul Kane's header against Dundee to put us into Europe in 99.

2. Stevie May's goal on Thursday.

3. Any moment from 7-2 against Dundee - probably Leigh Jenkinson's second free-kick.

4. George O'Boyle putting us 2-0 up against Rangers in 1998.

5. Paul Sheerin's wondergoal against Dundee in 2008

Would like to have included the Airdrie game but really can't remember much about it other than that I was there. I'd also say honourable mentions for:

- Alan Main's save from James Grady's header in 1999

- Nathan Lowndes' goal against Hibs in the 1999 League Cup quarter final

- Nick Dasovic's goal against Monaco

- Kieran McAnespie's breakaway counter-attack goal in the 3-1 win over Rangers

- Paul Wright's overhead kick against Motherwell

Good selection here.

Don't get much of a chance to attend now, but it's good to see the 5-0 against Aberdeen in there. Still got the programme after 10 house moves!

How far the Dons have fallen. That side was packed with internationals. Snelders was a good keeper but then he bu88ered it up by signing for Rangers and promptly disappered!

1. Celebrating Kenny Ward's goal vs Airdrieonians with my dad in the Ormomd Stand as Saints go 3-1 up.

2. Watching my son chatting to my dad at half-time in the Saints 3-1 win over Brechin several years ago. My lad's first ever game and sadly my dad's last.

3. My daughter's first game pitch invasion as Saints clinch promotion vs Morton.

4. My mate Armando (Celtic fan) turning to me as the Saints fans shout "we want five" vs Rangers and saying "Ferguson, this is wonderful!"

5. The goal celebration with my cousin Greg, my sister Janet and nephew Andrew (Arab my erse) vs Rosenborg.

All very personal memories and very special.

I've been out the country for 9 years now and come to McDiarmid once maybe twice a year so i cant include last night however I'd imagine it must have been the best....

Would love to know what everyone else thinks maybe even do a poll.....

Anyway here's mine as I can only include the games Ive been to...

1.St.Johnstone 3....Airdrie 1 March 31st 1990

2.St.Johnstone 7....Dundee 2 December 31st 1996

3.St.Johnstone 5...Aberdeen 0 September 29th 1990

4.St Johnstone 4 ...Rangers 1 30th March 2010

5.St Johnstone 2....Celtic 1  september 15th 2012

Probably the best victories, however of those I was only at one despite being a saints fan for 27 years, the Airdrie game nothing will ever ever top that day.

Best moments though:-

1 Roddy Grant to put us 2-1 up, Saints v Airdrie Mar 1990,

between poor finishing, outstanding saves from John Martin and hitting the woodwork it could easily have been 10-1. Fecking was there with a mate called Steve Gray as well, he wasn't popular when they went 1 up, how Scottish football has changed Owen Coyle transfer fee from Clydebank to Airdrie was £175K.

Kenny Ward for 3-1 same game.

Goran Stanic goal wonder goal v Hamilton Oct 20005

Monaco game, John O'Neill goal I think, accidentally smashed by brother in face during celebrations, accident honest!

Saints 5 -1 Hibs (just cause I'd missed the other high scored wins)

When d*** Campbell threw his cap on ground in frustration and was later sent to the stand by the ref, sheer partick jags lovey theatrics.

Top 5 matches....

Saints 2-1 Celtic in 1993 (My first experience of celebrating a Saints goal, quickly followed by the second)

January 1st 1997.

Saints 3-1 ****

Promotion vs East Fife (slightly shades Morton due to my being young and less jaded)

Euro qualification vs Dundee

Top 5 moments...

Getting to be a mascot against Clydebank when I was 10 and constantly trying to put the ball into, an increasingly frustrated, Andy Rhodes' top corner.

Getting to be a ballboy against Partick a couple of years later.

A second half comeback against Dunfermline in the mid 90's after being 2 down.

Keiran McAnespie's celebration after scoring in the 3rd game listed above.

Going to see a star studded Monaco team and getting to cheer 3 goals.

• 2 months later...

Airdrie 1990- got what we deserved and psychologically won league that day- amazing performance/comeback/day out!

Then a few months later a guy who looked a lot like Alan Moore (musta been his brother/not a fan) and his pal gave me and my dad v.i.p. tickets outside main stand as they didn't want to see saints humbled and preferred to peeve at the 208 instead.

Shame.

Saints annihilated Aberdeen 5-0 with his wee brother tearing David Robertson a new one, and big Roddy was simply fantastic.

Dundee 1-0 euro qualifying tie