Europa League Finances

t.mcneil99

don't know how true this all is but reading this morning we will make a loss because of the cost of flights ect to travel to away games,

does anybody know if this is really true? I thought maybe the 86k prize money per round and also the proceeds of the 8k gate last week would more than cover this?

I'm sure it was Levski Sofia this season that withdrew from the Europa League after qualifying because they didn't think they would be able to afford it if they were to get a draw to far away. Absolute joke especially when you think that you get nearly a million pound just for winning a match in the champions league. Would think the spfl or whatever they're calling themselves these days could help out and pay anything on top of the money we get for competing seeing as we are representing the country and may I say giving Scottish football the biggest boost its had in years

It's very unfair on smaller clubs and smaller nations for two reasons: (1) our co-efficient means that we're sent to a lot of out-of-the-way places that cost a bomb to get to; (2) we can't offset losses through big home attendances or TV rights.

The big clubs and nations tend to have better coefficients, don't often have as far to travel, are dropped into competitions when the money finally gets decent, get a big income through gates and TV and make big profits.

Vicious circle, but I don't think UEFA would have it any other way.

Andy might be mistaken but the last time I looked Saints didn't own an oil well in the North Sea. :)

It is crazy having an open qualifying round, Regional qualifying is surely the route that EUFA should be looking at less costs bigger crowds and less hassle.

Annoying that clubs in Scotland have to go through the qualifying but English teams go right into play off despite finishig well down the league. It is simply a money maker for the big boys.

Andy might be mistaken but the last time I looked Saints didn't own an oil well in the North Sea. :)

It is crazy having an open qualifying round, Regional qualifying is surely the route that EUFA should be looking at less costs bigger crowds and less hassle.

Annoying that clubs in Scotland have to go through the qualifying but English teams go right into play off despite finishig well down the league. It is simply a money maker for the big boys.

its seeded and scottish football is where it is regardless

Of Celtic's efforts.

I don't think we can complain about the seeding or co-efficient given how bad Scottish football teams (including Celtic and Rangers for the most part) have fared in Europe over the last two decades or more. There has been some right embarrassing results and our teams have been knocked out by some less than leading lights.

Where we do have a complaint is the trouble the club and fans would have to face getting to these far flung places. I understand the whole Visa thing in parts of the Eastern Bloc but I strongly feel that if clubs from these parts are allowed to enter Euro competitions there should be some sort of strategy in place to allow the team, officials and supporters unhindered access in and quickly out of the country in question.

I don't think we can complain about the seeding or co-efficient given how bad Scottish football teams (including Celtic and Rangers for the most part) have fared in Europe over the last two decades or more. There has been some right embarrassing results and our teams have been knocked out by some less than leading lights.

Where we do have a complaint is the trouble the club and fans would have to face getting to these far flung places. I understand the whole Visa thing in parts of the Eastern Bloc but I strongly feel that if clubs from these parts are allowed to enter Euro competitions there should be some sort of strategy in place to allow the team, officials and supporters unhindered access in and quickly out of the country in question.

I went to Moldova in 2004 to see Scotland earn a fantastic 0-0 draw:(

Visas had to be got from some embassy in Brussels that also looked after Moldovan interests(I cannae mind what country it was). The guy who organised the trip had to go to Brussels for the visas. However, it turned out that you could purchase a visa at Chisinau airport on arrival (I'm not sure what paperwork, apart from passport, that had to be shown to get the visa).

UEFA should tell those countries who require you to need a visa, that teams and officials plus fans should either have visa requirements waived** or they should be available to get at the arrival airport. If they don't agree then these countries don't get to play in European football.

**visa requirements were waived by Russia for Man U and Chelsea fans for their champs league final match.

Edited by glenrothes saintee

It's quite obvious UEFA want the fat cats to get fatter while everyone else gets forgotten about. The fact we'll have almost zero fans over there will be completely ignored by them, yet if a French team got in the same situation it would be seized upon instantly and the rules would change. Nothing we can do about it though

If we beat Minsk over two legs, which we should consider a possibility as Rosenborg are better than them. Then we'd have a play-off match against a seeded team to qualify for the group stage, which might not be as big a team as you'd maybe expect

I think it is shocking that a team like Saints should be out of pocket. Surely UEFA could meet the cost of at least the plane charter. Distribution of money seems a bit off kilter... There is something wrong, too many qualifying rounds which leads to meaningless games. Great to be involved, but if Saints qualify every year can see it becoming a real headache for the club...

In instances like this surley St Johnstone should be able to get a good live tv coverage of the game and from UEFA, due to the problems in getting into Belarus at short notice, This then could be showed up at McD on large screens either in the suites or even the pie stalls if it is wet, More money for the club also in pies, drinks etc etc.    

Have I got this right? The match has been switched to a city something like 300km from Minsk and we're the ones having to pay to keep some two-bob airport open? UEFA should be making Minsk foot the bill or UEFA should pay it. No way should we be paying it. If a club cannot host the visiting club in their own home ground then they should pay any extra costs involved or forfeit the tie.

Steve Brown should be asking for us to be given a bye into the next round.

There should be certain standards that allow you to enter euro comps. One being if you can realistically get into the country.

Another being that your own stadium should be ready, and if it's not and you have to drag your opponents 3 or 400 kms further away, then you should pay the extra expense, as Ziggy rightly points out.

That UEFA allows this to happen is ridiculous.

Another being that your own stadium should be ready, and if it's not and you have to drag your opponents 3 or 400 kms further away, then you should pay the extra expense, as Ziggy rightly points out.

That UEFA allows this to happen is ridiculous.

I think it's being moved because the share a stadium with the other Minsk team

Motherwell are saying they were able to charter a flight to Levante last season for £60,000, but this year it is costing them £180,000 to get to Kuban Krasnoder!!

The money that Uefa pays out will cover about 50% of that, so they will need a crowd of circa 4,000 on Thursday just to cover the cost of the plane - insanity rules football where-ever you are :evil: