Europa League Finances

t.mcneil99

Saints' success is good news for the city and local companies - some money coming into the area (and not just from away supporters), increased profile etc. Politically difficult, I'd imagine, though for the council to offer financial support.

I know .... the guys in Campus sport were saying how busy they had been selling Saints merchandise....great to hear especially for wee independent retailers... & Saints of course....can only be a good thing!

Wendy Saints, on 30 Jul 2013 - 10:26, said:

Thanks for that.. I hope I didn't sound negative....I want Saints to go as far as they can. My frustration is more with the powers that be to be honest.

1. Why should any team who qualify be financially disadvantaged!

2. Football is a fan's game, our next away game is unlikely to be watched by either sides supporters...visa restrictions & the home side playing 4 hours away from their home ground. Seems crazy to me.

3. Floodlight criteria!!! What next?!

It would be fantastic if Saints did proceed & receive a bumper payout, however can't help feeling more should be filtered down to the earlier rounds so 'wee' teams aren't left out of pocket!

Fans come second to sponsors these days unfortunately. To the governing bodies, we're generally just a noisy afterthought

Edited by Kevin James Is On Stilts

As AthensSaint says "regional qualifying" should take place.

I don't mean within Britain, a wee bit further afield, then open it up at the Section stage.

I think at the very least it would make sense to divide the qualifying rounds into western Europe and eastern Europe. Just that one split would make it much easier for everyone.

I assume the financial benefits of getting into the group stage would be huge, but getting there would be a massive achievement. If we get past Minsk (a harder task than I think a lot of people are giving credit for), we'll still have to get past a really tough third opponent to get into the groups. There are some pretty serious opponents coming into the competition at the next stage - Spurs, Feyenoord, Fiorentina, Dynamo Kiev, Eintracht Frankfurt, Real Betis, Besiktas. Could be a massive occasion just around the corner for Saints.

Out of interest where did this rumour about having to upgrade the floodlights come from? Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else.

According to Wiki

This is "prize money"

• First qualifying round: €100,000
  • Second qualifying round: €100,000
  • Third qualifying round: €100,000
  • Play-off round: €100,000
  • Base fee for group stage: €1,300,000
  • Group match victory: €200,000
  • Group match draw: €100,000
  • Group winners: €400,000
  • Group runners-up: €200,000
  • Round of 32: €200,000
  • Round of 16: €350,000
  • Quarter-finals: €450,000
  • Semi-finals: €1,000,000
  • Losing finalist: €2,500,000
  • Winners: €5,000,000

I don't really understand why we'd have to do that. Seems utterly bizarre. Did we not upgrade the floodlights in the not too distant past? Can't see any way they're not adequate!

That's right, we were forced to upgrade them as part of the Satanta deal believe it or not..... !

Edited by Baldy Marc

I think at the very least it would make sense to divide the qualifying rounds into western Europe and eastern Europe. Just that one split would make it much easier for everyone.

Whilst I can see the obvious financial benefits regarding travel costs for the club/supporters in having regional qualification I think it would make it far, far harder for scottish clubs to get into the group stages. The majority of Europes big clubs are based in Western Europe. 6 out of the 8 teams that Blueheaven mentions would be in our qualification zone.

Seems strange that UEFA have rules about floodlight quality, pitch size etc. but don't worry about a team who don't have access to their own stadium.  As a result we have a 4 hour drive to contend with from the nearest airport which only opens between 10 am and 2 pm and will therefore cost us an arm and leg to keep open at night so we can hope to get the players home with some recovery time before Sunday's game.  Also, UEFA seems unconcerned about the Belarus Visa arrangements which are reported to be costing us a £4,500 bribe (sorry administration charge) so that our official party will be allowed into the country in time for the game!

We should claim pitch problems for the second leg and say we want to play it on Tiree.  Unfortunately, FC Minsk will have to stay in Oban and negotiate with MacBraynes to get to Tiree and back. 

Seems strange that UEFA have rules about floodlight quality, pitch size etc. but don't worry about a team who don't have access to their own stadium. As a result we have a 4 hour drive to contend with from the nearest airport which only opens between 10 am and 2 pm and will therefore cost us an arm and leg to keep open at night so we can hope to get the players home with some recovery time before Sunday's game. .

It's not 4 hours from the airport, 4 hours from Minsk.

If anything we've got a slightly shorter trip because of it.

Any draws should not be seeded and just shows UEFA only want the big boys to line the pockets, self preservation from the top

This is the problem. The whole thing is rigged to suit the bigger clubs and enhance sponsor value. Understandable when you consider the buffoons running the show.

Rather than spreading the wealth and diversifying the competition, they'll settle for the quick-buck. Almost as short-sighted as the SPL or the SPFL or whatever Doncaster is tagging it these days.

A ****ing shambles.

This is the problem. The whole thing is rigged to suit the bigger clubs and enhance sponsor value. Understandable when you consider the buffoons running the show.

Rather than spreading the wealth and diversifying the competition, they'll settle for the quick-buck. Almost as short-sighted as the SPL or the SPFL or whatever Doncaster is tagging it these days.

A ****ing shambles

Another case of the big clubs running the show.  Uefa want / need to keep the big leagues and clubs happy so seeding avoids any upsets. Suits them, the clubs and sponsors.  They don't do it then the idea of a a breakaway league for the top teams would raise it's head again. Where would the sponsors go?? They would follow the big clubs and UEFA would be struggling in time.

A

A ****ing shambles.

doncaster is calling it epl 2 but you will not get into THE league, not even THE blue square

know your place jocks