St Johnstone Official Website

jhq

Guest The Great Paddy Buckley

I noticed some of the player bios are quite out of date. I wonder if the Marketing department read this whether they might considered square space. Template based with built in ecommerce and blog facilities for about £160 per year. Its getting good reviews.I used it for my photography and thought it user friendly with almost real time customer support. Provided someone is web savvy and has the inclination it could be done in house and so saving on farming it out or employing another person.Just a thought. PB

All the information is out of date, the site is a pile of kack.....have heard that numerous people have put in documents stating how to move the site forward, and social media is run by volunteers who do a good job - they are not paid.

Saints need to employ one or two people fulltime and bite the bullet. Site, social, ecommerce and so on.

Listening to comments and all the moans and groans.

Yes the site is something that needs a lot improvement. I am sure there must be at least one loyal fan who has the skill and knowledge to bring it up to date. Reading some of the posts which is Dutch to me, they seem to know what is needed. Talk is easy, action and help is whats required. I am sure it could be done remotely and not necessary from Perth. As they said in tales of the unexpected, 'is there anyone out there.'

Listening to comments and all the moans and groans.

Yes the site is something that needs a lot improvement. I am sure there must be at least one loyal fan who has the skill and knowledge to bring it up to date. Reading some of the posts which is Dutch to me, they seem to know what is needed. Talk is easy, action and help is whats required. I am sure it could be done remotely and not necessary from Perth. As they said in tales of the unexpected, 'is there anyone out there.'

It is a big commitment though and I don't think most people would be able to dedicate the time to doing it.....it needs to be owned and managed by the club, with a member of staff having a recognised responsibility (as part of their remit) to ensure that it remains up to date and relevant

Volunteers can be utilised in certain areas, but running, coordinating and developing the club's online communication channels really is a full time job and demands the attention of a dedicated staff member.

It's worth remembering that although the club is close to many people's hearts, St Johnstone isn't a charity. It's run as a business, and those up top are the first to remind us of this fact when it suits them.

No other business would expect its customers to do its own work for them in a key area such as this.

Told you running the site was all Dutch to me, did not realise what is involved thanks for the update, withdraw my comments.

Volunteers can be utilised in certain areas, but running, coordinating and developing the club's online communication channels really is a full time job and demands the attention of a dedicated staff member.

It's worth remembering that although the club is close to many people's hearts, St Johnstone isn't a charity. It's run as a business, and those up top are the first to remind us of this fact when it suits them.

No other business would expect its customers to do its own work for them in a key area such as this.

"No other business would expect its customers to do its own work for them in a key area such as this."

AMEN to that.

There is no way anyone in the community would be able to run the online marketing for Saints free of charge, everything about doing it right is tilted to ecommerce, so why should someone do it free. Sure, submit your cup final photos, and contribute and so on (free no pay for your photos - which yes, are worth something....)...... plenty of people have skills......note my name on this site. Yep, i wrote to them in 2006 about social media.....they took Facebook seriously from late 2012!

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY!

"

It's worth remembering that although the club is close to many people's hearts, St Johnstone isn't a charity."

YEP a Limited company with ~£6m-10m turnover

Edited by MySpazz

There's definitely enough work to amount to a full-time media job for someone when you take into account running the website, Twitter, Facebook, the video channel, the match programme, and general media relations. It's increasingly an important side of the club and ideally these aspects should all be tied together so that they're speaking in one voice. Have to think it's probably quite far down the club's list of priorities though, so can't really see it happening.

Has to be said, though, that the club's official Twitter and Facebook sites are both really good these days.

There's definitely enough work to amount to a full-time media job for someone when you take into account running the website, Twitter, Facebook, the video channel, the match programme, and general media relations. It's increasingly an important side of the club and ideally these aspects should all be tied together so that they're speaking in one voice. Have to think it's probably quite far down the club's list of priorities though, so can't really see it happening.

Has to be said, though, that the club's official Twitter and Facebook sites are both really good these days.

Exactly the Facebook and Twitter are excellent sources of information and are run really well, The club should maybe think about employing the people who volunteer for that into a full time position?

If you think you can do better .go for it.

Fuq sniping from the background waz man.

Relax man Why so serious.....

As far as being in the backround I was there and you know it so Ive as much right as you to state that our website is Crap.....

PS This guy did so much better...for a junior club it eclipses ours...

There is a quick one i have knocked up in an hour, and that cost the grand total of £0 http://www.kinnoulljfc.co.uk/

St Johnstone, the club, does everything for local business (who provide lots of sponsorship), but for the fans, or punters the product is stuffy and not very welcoming (i say this really in relation to the language in the Season Ticket booklet.....i felt like i was reading an Insurance Prospectus.... "To that end....." it said. Do people really speak like that!

Look at the effort made going round businesses with the cup, the media exposure they gave that........but the club (and not the person who has to do it and 1000 other things) suck harder than a working lass in 'Dam when it comes to looking after punters....customers.

I mean, if you are are the Rotary you are sorted....quite sure they are looking after them with kid gloves. We the customers.... hrm

Facebook & Twitter are run by volunteers...... they should be paid OR many other aspects of the club should be run by volunteers or the "honour" of working free on social media just becomes another old boys network.....

Is St Johnstone a Ltd company OR is it a community club...... ... :)

If ye ken better then just go for it dude.big salv wouldnae come on here and do a post like yours so fuqing get it done..

It's all very well to say that fans should step up and do the work, but as someone said earlier, it is a business.

Even if a fan could pull a website together for free, that isn't the way forward. The website along with Facebook and twitter should be and will be an important part of the clubs image and advertising.

The argument that' if you think you can do it, then go on ahead 'is a bit ridiculous really. By the same argument I could say that I am a fantastic full back and I'll play got saints for free! Doesn't mean that I am any good or that saints should take me up on my offer. We spend probably double on 1 players wages for what it would cost to employ someone to do the website etc and would contribute way more to the club than the likes of iwulemo, Beattie etc ever could.

Edited by TheYellowBox

A full time meeja person probably = 50 - 75% (taking into account all support costs) of a first-team player. Ask TW if he wants a full-time meeja person. It'll be all hands to the deck organising the Euro ties soon. The web-site isn't THAT bad - I've (eventually) got the info I need off it. And they run the twitter feed on it. So the U-20's league table isn't bang up to date every week - I wanted to catch up on the age-group Scotland results recently on the SFA site - they were WEEKS behind. I'm sure they'll get round to it. It's really no big deal.

A full time meeja person probably = 50 - 75% (taking into account all support costs) of a first-team player. Ask TW if he wants a full-time meeja person. It'll be all hands to the deck organising the Euro ties soon. The web-site isn't THAT bad - I've (eventually) got the info I need off it. And they run the twitter feed on it. So the U-20's league table isn't bang up to date every week - I wanted to catch up on the age-group Scotland results recently on the SFA site - they were WEEKS behind. I'm sure they'll get round to it. It's really no big deal.

It's not just the website though. It's more someone to do the whole media thing. It would effectively pay for itself.

Motherwell got one in and worked for them. He ended up replacing leann dempster .

Being in sales myself, I always thought the role missing in 'marketing' for clubs is an actual sales function, even a commission based job to sell more season tickets and market the club. Even though clubs are run as official businesses, few seem to have any commercial strategy in terms of fan based growth. If you had a single person driving all this with sales based incentives, I think they'd pay for themselves in a few months and gravy would follow. You could tie all the media pieces into this role as these tools would help that person sell more tickets and they'd be motivated to keep them current as well as finding new channels.

Being in sales myself, I always thought the role missing in 'marketing' for clubs is an actual sales function, even a commission based job to sell more season tickets and market the club. Even though clubs are run as official businesses, few seem to have any commercial strategy in terms of fan based growth. If you had a single person driving all this with sales based incentives, I think they'd pay for themselves in a few months and gravy would follow. You could tie all the media pieces into this role as these tools would help that person sell more tickets and they'd be motivated to keep them current as well as finding new channels.

If you think so, then you do it!! (As appears to be some peoples thinking)

A football club is a business like no other though. For instance, if (god forbid) St Johnstone FC was to go out of business tomorrow and cease to exist, it's not like Her supporters would buy season tickets for say, Dens Park or Tannadice instead....

If Tesco was to shut down tomorrow it's customers would simply shop elsewhere.

You're either a Saints supporter or you're not. Saints benefit massively from season ticket sales - having the £ up front. And pay at the gate sales bring in more revenue per skull/per game.

If having the fantastic season we've just had doesn't entice more fans to McDiarmid Park either as a season ticket holder or a PATG fan then I don't know what will...

Edited by double deluxe

A football club is a business like no other though. For instance, if (god forbid) St Johnstone FC was to go out of business tomorrow and cease to exist, it's not like Her supporters would buy season tickets for say, Dens Park or Tannadice instead....

If Tesco was to shut down tomorrow it's customers would simply shop elsewhere.

You're either a Saints supporter or you're not. Saints benefit massively from season ticket sales - having the £ up front. And pay at the gate sales bring in more revenue per skull/per game.

If having the fantastic season we've just had doesn't entice more fans to McDiarmid Park either as a season ticket holder or a PATG fan then I don't know what will...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure of your point. 15,000 fans at celtic park, saints supporter's right? Sitting back and expecting fans to just show up and expecting increases in season tickets is ignoring the bigger consumer picture imo.

Now a full 10 DAYS since ANYTHING went on the OS.. Now as is known, I am one who defends the club quite a lot ( although not quite as much as Mainstand LAUGH OUT LOUD) but this is  quite ridiculous. At a time when  they surely want continued interest to aid season ticket sales we have had the grand total of ZILCH for 10 days.. Now I know Paul is on holiday ( which he richly deserves) but do we not have anyone else who can fill in during his break?? The fixtures came out  two days ago and  there is NOTHING either on the main page or even the fixtures page. No player information, no season ticket up dates... NOWT.

I know club officials read this, so come on Saints GET IT SORTED!!!!!

Dumbarton have no full time member of staff but update their official site regularly. In last 24 hours there's 3 articles in regards to fixtures and every day an update on when you can buy season tickets on their Twitter. This from a part time team with one receptionist and a general manager. Saints are an embarrassment and Steve Brown can have no complaints about lack of interest from Perthshire people when they make no effort to engage with the community. The cup being on tour is good start but they need to be even more active.