Away Support Appreciation Thread

ex-montrosesaintee

Just a wee point about some of the comments on here about the stewarding at the United game. A friend of a friend is looking at feedback into the stewarding at Tannadice. This is due to the poor standard of stewarding from the previous company and to see if things have improved. The overwhelming opinion is the stewards have been much more friendly and helpful. This has been the view from both United fans and away fans. The only set of fans that have had any serious complaints were Saints. You can read that into that what you will.

Was at that game and can only say positive things! In fact the stewards gave some banter going to & from the stand. Both male & female stewards had some personality. Which makes a change.

I was at the game, sitting with my son away from the 'choir' and (particularly at half time taking my lad to the toilet) found the stewards intimidating and aggressive to the point where my lad was scared.

While some if the saints fans were boisterous, it wasn't more than that, and the incidents mentioned previously were isolated.

Stewarding at other grounds isn't as aggressive as it was that day in Dundee. Very unimpressed.

I would dare to suggest that there may be some corallation between the Saints fans behaviour and the stewarding. To say there was only "boisterous" fans is nonsense given the reports from your own fans. There were fans spitting, arguing/fighting with each other, seats broken and fans given abuse to the stewards from the moment they came in. Now I am only too aware how annoying stewards at Tannadice have been but I would wager given the response of all other fans that stewards reacted to the Saints fans behaviour. This comes down to this need for some Saints fans to try and create a rivalry and the attitude when playing United or Dundee. PSJ almost never have a game when Saints play in Dundee and everytime I've asked why the reason given is too many guys want to go through early on the bevy. Now such a support  doesn't justify aggresive stewarding, particularly aimed at those who aren't behaving in that way but I think to suggest that the two are in no way related would be very much seeing things from the view you want to see it. Then again given the opening post that shouldn't suprise me.

Edited by ODAB

As well explained, there was one spit, and one broken seat - both isolated and unacceptable.

It was two seats according to our groundsman. But the fact remains that according to your own fans there was a section, the young crew, of drunken and aggresive fans. That I dare say contributed to the situation. I remember sitting in the Ormand stand at the 3-2 game when Wilkie played up top on half a knee.  Some of the young crew stood and hurled abuse without looking at the game. 2 PSJ players stood challenging people to fights (which surely is the most pointless gesture as you know blatantly that nobody is going to actually leave the ground) and never once looked at the pitch in the opening 20 minutes. I nearly wet myself laughing at them and the moron standing next to me who was softly telling them what he was going to do to them. Now that is the nature of the attitude of some Saints fans when playing United or Dundee. Still I guess that's what you get when you are the most "passionate" fans in the country.

It was two seats according to our groundsman. But the fact remains that according to your own fans there was a section, the young crew, of drunken and aggresive fans. That I dare say contributed to the situation. I remember sitting in the Ormand stand at the 3-2 game when Wilkie played up top on half a knee.  Some of the young crew stood and hurled abuse without looking at the game. 2 PSJ players stood challenging people to fights (which surely is the most pointless gesture as you know blatantly that nobody is going to actually leave the ground) and never once looked at the pitch in the opening 20 minutes. I nearly wet myself laughing at them and the moron standing next to me who was softly telling them what he was going to do to them. Now that is the nature of the attitude of some Saints fans when playing United or Dundee. Still I guess that's what you get when you are the most "passionate" fans in the country.

what do you expect at a derby?

and it's ORMOND.

Couple of points.

1.  Montrose was there with his son.  The stewards should be able to assess the difference between a father and son and some drunken teenagers and act accordingly.

2.  're the match at McD.  If you know that a couple of Saints fans didn't watch any of the first 20 minutes, then that would suggest neither did you.

3.  Why do you feel the need to defend all things United?  You were the same when Levein was doing his best to destroy the national team, constantly defending the indefensible.  Having been at Tannadice, I would agree with Montrose.  The stewards were overly aggressive, treating all Saints fans with suspicion and contempt.

Couple of points.

1.  Montrose was there with his son.  The stewards should be able to assess the difference between a father and son and some drunken teenagers and act accordingly.

2.  're the match at McD.  If you know that a couple of Saints fans didn't watch any of the first 20 minutes, then that would suggest neither did you.

3.  Why do you feel the need to defend all things United?  You were the same when Levein was doing his best to destroy the national team, constantly defending the indefensible.  Having been at Tannadice, I would agree with Montrose.  The stewards were overly aggressive, treating all Saints fans with suspicion and contempt.

I would add that, in comparing the previous two visits to Tannadice, the last time the stewards were noticeably more relaxed than before.

I emailed United time before last at half time, pointing out that a crowd can be managed more easilty with a more hands-off approach and that the stewards and police were contributing to the tension.

To be fair, and not because of me of course (lots of us complained), they started the last game like they had been told to back off.

It was only when the youngsters started to do anything that they reverted to the usual heavy approach.

Be boisterous, sing/chant, stand up, set off flares (European games excluded), create a positive atmosphere, but don't spit, break one or more seats, be aggressive or whatever else they're meant to have done.

I genuinely thought United had made an effort. If you're honest, had been there, and were sober (not necessarily relating to alcohol), you must have noticed.

I'm nearer to ODAB on this one.

In terms of aggressive and intimidation, I'm talking more about inside at half time. Actively trying to catch smokers and creating a large argument, aggression from both sides, and intimidation that was extremely unprofessional and uncalled for. Yes, one smoker was in the wrong, before you say, but mr steward didn't need to start a battle with 15 or so folk where kids were also present.

Couple of points.

I'm pretty sure if you've read my points I neither defend any aggressive stewarding and also state there is no need for heavy handed stewarding towards those who who are not in the least aggressive. And to clarify I didn't watch the two PSJ players for the whole 20 minutes but was sitting next to one of the people they were goading and threatening and for 20 minutes he stood talking to them and every time I looked they were doing the same. They possibly could have glanced at the pitch but the point was not supposed to be entirely literal. As always some choose to ignore any kind of debate and focus on my primary alligiance. The point being made is that whilst there is no question some of the younger fans are creating a "better" atmosphere, their conduct isn't always exemplary and would appear to have contributed to way some stewards treated all the fans on that day.

Edited by ODAB

I would add that, in comparing the previous two visits to Tannadice, the last time the stewards were noticeably more relaxed than before.

I emailed United time before last at half time, pointing out that a crowd can be managed more easilty with a more hands-off approach and that the stewards and police were contributing to the tension.

To be fair, and not because of me of course (lots of us complained), they started the last game like they had been told to back off.

It was only when the youngsters started to do anything that they reverted to the usual heavy approach.

Be boisterous, sing/chant, stand up, set off flares (European games excluded), create a positive atmosphere, but don't spit, break one or more seats, be aggressive or whatever else they're meant to have done.

I genuinely thought United had made an effort. If you're honest, had been there, and were sober (not necessarily relating to alcohol), you must have noticed.

I'm nearer to ODAB on this one.

Some good points in there - you missed the point about "decking" Ghostie tho !!

I'm pretty sure if you've read my points I neither defend any aggressive stewarding and also state there is no need for heavy handed stewarding towards those who who are not in the least aggressive. And to clarify I didn't watch the two PSJ players for the whole 20 minutes but was sitting next to one of the people they were goading and threatening and for 20 minutes he stood talking to them and every time I looked they were doing the same. They possibly could have glanced at the pitch but the point was not supposed to be entirely literal. As always some choose to ignore any kind of debate and focus on my primary alligiance. The point being made is that whilst there is no question some of the younger fans are creating a "better" atmosphere, their conduct isn't always exemplary and would appear to have contributed to way some stewards treated all the fans on that day.

Your last sentence sums up exactly why the stewards were in the wrong.  They should have dealt with the few young guys who were in the wrong - not treated all Saints fans as hooligans.  The Tannadice stewards are not the only ones guilty of this.  All stewards including the ones at McD should remember that fans are customers who are funding the club and also paying their wages.

My experience of being there is stewards deliberately standing in my way so i cant see. I wasn't sitting with the few idiots misbehaving even if I was, i'd certainly hope I wouldn't be tarred with the same brush so to speak.

Then when I attempted to point out I couldn't see the steward just kept ignoring the fact I was speaking to him. - I'm not a five year old child, so don't treat me like one.

Then because I was across from the younger lads I then had two policemen come stand within a foot of my face. every time i moved I was rubbing against one of the policeman he was so close to me. It not only ruined the enjoyment I 12 year old brother wasn't comfortable at all with the fact policemen were being very intimidating.

Not the stewards in the wrong the united supporter says? 

Treat people like animals... you know what is going to end up happening. 

Edited by PerthSeany

Some good points in there - you missed the point about "decking" Ghostie tho !!

That'll run so long it'll be my epitaph :)

Just so it's clear, I did say that the stewards 'started' more relaxed. What happened after shows that it doesn't take much for them to revert to type!

Edited by andrew

My experience of being there is stewards deliberately standing in my way so i cant see. I wasn't sitting with the few idiots misbehaving even if I was, i'd certainly hope I wouldn't be tarred with the same brush so to speak.

Then when I attempted to point out I couldn't see the steward just kept ignoring the fact I was speaking to him. - I'm not a five year old child, so don't treat me like one.

Then because I was across from the younger lads I then had two policemen come stand within a foot of my face. every time i moved I was rubbing against one of the policeman he was so close to me. It not only ruined the enjoyment I 12 year old brother wasn't comfortable at all with the fact policemen were being very intimidating.

Not the stewards in the wrong the united supporter says? 

Treat people like animals... you know what is going to end up happening. 

That was my experience the last time I was at Tannadice, but the same guy that stood right in front of me last time (fairly large black guy) had a folding chair and sat facing the crowd the most recent time I was there, which meant we could all see the game.  That was a significant improvement.

Edited by montrosesaintee

I fail to see the merit in coming onto another team's fans forum, asking sensible questions and then just telling everyone that they are wrong.  Pointless.

Again I haven't told anybody they're wrong, only corrected JHQ's assertions about what I had said. I'm with everybody else in believing that stewards can do a better job with respect than by being uppity. What I would also say is the abuse that stewards get from some football fans in all grounds is ridiculous. These guys will be on peanuts to stand and get abuse for trying to inforce rules they haven't made up and probably have no interest in. Unfortunately, with any position that has any aspect of power you will get idiots who abuse it and these are the ones people remember.

The moustached steward at Tannadice is a knob and deserves abuse. I sit with my dad nowhere the youngsters who "cause the bother", and he still orders stewards to warn us about our behaviour. The stewards also come into the crowd forcing you to sit down or get chucked out despite the fact you can't actually see the game without standing up as they stand right in front of you. Last time we went they were already standing in front of the fans and telling everyone to sit down twenty minutes before kick off. 

Nearly as bad as the stewards at Parkhead and Ibrox, nearly...

Mr moustache is a wank of the highest order. Single handedly created the aggro in the toilets that I mentioned earlier.

Plus he was, at no stage in the match, anywhere near the young fans or any of the (limited) trouble that did occur.

Yeah hes very much a "Do what I say, not what I do" type of chap. He roared at a black steward this season to get into the crowd and throw anyone out who refused to sit down. The steward just came into the crowd laughing, shook someones hand and disappeared  :lol:

The stewards at Tannadice have not improved. Horrific treatment of human beings. Searching every single person in the queue, including OAP's and young children. Embarassing. The guy with the tache is the worst. He stands back and lets the minions take the flak from the fans who were telling people in the back row of the lower tier to sit down... No bother mate, but you should probably start from the front. Part of the stand was pissing down with water, we told a steward, shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

I can't swear to having heard the whole conversation, so I couldn't testify to this, but it was my belief that he intentionally allowed people to stand until 20 minutes into the game and I heard him direct his team to go and get them to sit down. This caused most of the aggro, as most of our support were standing by that stage.

It seemed to be entirely pre-meditated.

Yeah, and as HSF stated - he directed his staff to start from the back when telling folk to sit down. (This is in the bottom tier)

Edited by montrosesaintee