Away Support Appreciation Thread

ex-montrosesaintee

• 3 weeks later...

Just an observation - 1.7% of Perth's population was in the away sections at Cappielow last night. Meanwhile, 1.2% of Aberdeen's population was in the away section at Fir Park.

Why, then, did Radio Scotland's "Sportsound" listeners last night have to endure (on at least SIX occasions that I heard, before and after the match) the eulogy to Aberdeen's "fantastic", "magnificent" and "tremendous" away support being voiced ad nauseam by Willie Miller and the otherwise admirable Richard Gordon. The same nonsense was being spouted tonight on "Sportsound" by a completely different set of pundits.

Yes, the sheep take more supporters to away matches than most other teams. That's because they come from a bigger city! Proportionately, they very often - including last night - have a SMALLER away support than clubs like Saints.

It's time we shattered the myth and shouted about this more often.

Also - yes, well done to the young boys for keeping the atmosphere going, But that song that begins something like "I went out for a pint" is neither remotely funny, nor anything to do with football. I know at least one woman (not related to me) who has - hopefully temporarily - stopped going to Saints matches specifically because that song is sung. Give it a rest, guys.

Also - yes, well done to the young boys for keeping the atmosphere going, But that song that begins something like "I went out for a pint" is neither remotely funny, nor anything to do with football. I know at least one woman (not related to me) who has - hopefully temporarily - stopped going to Saints matches specifically because that song is sung. Give it a rest, guys.

Typical Saints fan always finding something to moan about, the songs been sung for years and its only a bit of banter, get a grip FFS

What a fanny she shouldn't go to football I think!

I WENT OUT FOR A PINT I GOT ****ING PLASTERED I CAME HOME BEAT THE WIFE SHES A DUNDEE b******

What a fanny she shouldn't go to football I think!

I WENT OUT FOR A PINT I GOT ****ING PLASTERED I CAME HOME BEAT THE WIFE SHES A DUNDEE b******

Now Im getting a bit more mature in years, I would prefer it didnt get sung and dread to think my lads are singing along with gusto. BUT in saying that, in the eighties we sung and did a lot lot worse. Its just me getting old I guess

Now Im getting a bit more mature in years, I would prefer it didnt get sung and dread to think my lads are singing along with gusto. BUT in saying that, in the eighties we sung and did a lot lot worse. Its just me getting old I guess

That's pretty close to my position. Although, when it was sung on Wednesday, I wasn't standing their tutting or feeling embarrassed or anything.

Yeah, prefer it if it was not sung, but also not going to over-react to it

The only song I objected to on Wednesday was the nacho novo song. It's a Celtic song and their version includes "a bullet from the IRA." I know the words were changed but I don't want to be associated with that. I can see why "I went out..." can offend but it's a song we've sang for ages and like it or not is going to always be sung. Must admit to singing along to that on many occasions.

That's pretty close to my position. Although, when it was sung on Wednesday, I wasn't standing their tutting or feeling embarrassed or anything.

Yeah, prefer it if it was not sung, but also not going to over-react to it

That's what I think too.

It's only a 'song' that's not aimed at anyone in particular, unlike the hideous and obscene effort usually aimed at Jamie langfield. That one is sung by cretins and is so wrong.

'I went out' is not even on the scale, so perspective required.

If the said song is not to your liking fair enough but it could be worse, we've all heard worse from the biggoted morons that are the old firm, or Hearts for that matter. Every team in Scotland has a rival that they dispise, remember some of the stuff Aberdeen sang about the Rangers. Said song is quite tame into comparison with some of the bile i've heard at the afore mentioned clubs.

I can never pick out more than 10% of any words in footy songs. I'm the same with listening to music - can never pick out the lyrics. Ditto loudspeaker announcements on the underground, airports etc.(Is that just me, by the way??). So sing whatever you like as far as I'm concerned! I quite enjoy the noise, and it's all part of the fun. (I can just about cope with "we love the Saintees, scan we have more of that).

Oh, just remembered. As an Acting Corporal in the PC Brigade, I demand that all singers as footy games should be banned unless they put someone on the pitch to sign for the hard of hearing and thinking. (Winky face - why doesn't the emoticon thing work?).