Chris "midgey" Millar - An Appreciation

Dave Ferg

For any Saints fans who missed our win at Ibrox, don't believe whatever you read over the next few days about it all being down to Rangers being poor; Saints were brilliant today. The whole team were great, but Chris Millar deserves a special mention in his first game for months.

He was outstanding, breaking up play, pressuring opponents, but mostly in his ball retention. At every opportunity he tried to find a teammate. This had a knock on effect as the whole team passed the ball, and had far better constructive possession than I can remember seeing all season.

Even when getting the ball under pressure from 2 or 3 rangers players, there was a number of occasions where Midge would spin away from trouble and find a teammate.

I remember thinking 2-3 seasons ago that outside Celtic, him and Murray was the best central midfield partnership in the league. On today's performance, again outwith Celtic, i still don't think there's many better central midfielders in the league at winning the ball back and retaining possession.  Yes Mcginn and a few others are better creatively and have more of a goal threat, but in terms of what he does, a fit Chris Millar is still right up there.

Lets wrap him up in cotton wool now for the fixtures ahead...!

Does he keep his place for the Hearts game ?

Definitely I'd say. 

Nice to have it explained that's he's been left out because TW lost trust in him, I think most of us did after his run of going off in the first half of games. Can understand why he never made those doubts public before now.