Away Form - Cause For Concern?

Radford 72

That's now just 2 wins in 16 away league games for Saints. We're averaging pushing towards two goals conceded per match as well, whilst scoring less than one ourselves. If you are going away from home and losing two goals - something we've done in half those matches - then it's obviously going to be hard to pick up points, let alone victories.

The frustration is that we can see from our home form and the away European matches that we have decent players, so why are we failing to deliver on the road, something that's in serious danger of undermining any hopes we have of enjoying a good season?

The obvious place to point the finger is the manager, as it's hard to understand why the players as individuals would play well at home but not away. This isn't designed as any sort of big dig at the manager but I'd suggest he's struggling to get it right for us on our travels. This season, our only points have come from a couple of 0-0 draws that we were probably fortunate to get.

What do other posters think the manager is doing wrong, or is it maybe not is fault? Also, what can be done to improve what is a poor away record?

I am only looking at this season so far and Bar the St.Mirren result we have only lost to Celtic and Dundee Utd....gaining the 0-0 at Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.....We lost a home game to Hibs and a Draw with partick Thistle.

Dont know how to be over critical of anyone this season as they give (mostly) their all in the games -A bit of luck and we could have snatched a result at Celtic and st.Mirren -The Dundee Utd game was alesson to learn and I am sure Tommy Wright has now identified problems BE they through injuries to key players and a lack of suitable candidates to fill the role at that precise moment -SO is it that he is not able to get replacements in on the current financial restraints at St.Johnstone FC ?

Its obviously disappointing to be in the situation today following a defeat by St.Mirren BUT we are not hopefully going to push the panic button yet -We are only a couple of wins from top-six BUT in the same vein a couple of losses away from near to bottom.

Cannae remember who it was said "Win your Home games" and "Pick up wotever point(s)" you can on your travels and you will be "safe".

Pretty sure TW is ripping his mind and trying to work out HOW we can be so good and then be so Bad -

Maybe we are expecting too much !!

I don't think anyone who has flagged up the stats relating to our poor away form is pushing the panic button, however there is no other way of disguising the facts relating to this season and our way form in the league. Played 5, no wins and conceded 10. That trend is not sustainable for ambitions of top 6.

I have faith that this will be addressed in the weeks to come.

Not hitting the panic button.

Would like to see us flooding the midfield with players, Davidson,Millar,Cregg,McDonald etc. for away games and hitting the opposition on the break, with counter attacks and the midfielders breaking forward in turn, much like the Midden did yesterday.

Agreed, Hoodlum the "hole" yesterday was right through the middle of the midfield and defence, the first goal was at our end showed that up more than anything the guy was standing waiting on the pass on his own no one near him. what we need is a good old CENTER HALF LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Would like to see us flooding the midfield with players, Davidson,Millar,Cregg,McDonald etc. for away games and hitting the opposition on the break, with counter attacks and the midfielders breaking forward in turn, much like the Midden did yesterday.

Especially when we have a forward like May who likes to go himself and have a ping at goal from wherever

There was a big Ando sized hole in the defence and Im not sure we have solved our left back problems either.

We need to hope Ando makes a miraculously quick recovery or that Sanel Jahic is the real deal.

Really missing an in form Murray Davidson. As great as the depth is in our squad we are missing just one or two top four players.

Murray Davidson, Callum Davidson, Liam Craig, the difference between finishing 2nd or 3rd and finishing 7th or 8th.

Having signed the quality of Wotherspoon, Nigel learning quickly keeping Maanus and Stevie May stepping up to the plate to replace Tade we could have had a pretty memorable season. But with the retirement of Callum, the loss of Liam, the poor performance of Murray and now the loss of Ando for a large part of the season, it looks ominous.

The problem we have is we go with attacking formations home and away. At home the away team sit back, away from home they don't. Not many teams would have such an attacking line up as we did yesterday. This stems from him not being prepared to play May in a 451.

Agreed, Hoodlum the "hole" yesterday was right through the middle of the midfield and defence, the first goal was at our end showed that up more than anything the guy was standing waiting on the pass on his own no one near him. what we need is a good old CENTER HALF LAUGH OUT LOUD.

-----------------------------------

There's no doubt McLean had acres of space for the first,but he ran from 30 yards out to get there,without a midfielder following,not a cb's responsibilty imo

Don't think many away performances have been bad,we were the better team for the first half at Tannadice,and the second half at Parkhead.We might be going too attack minded away from home,but i'd rather we went trying to win,than hoping to catch them on the break or whatever.If TW played 4-5-1 away,and we got beat,he'd get slaughterd on here,personally i want to see Saints trying to win,rather than surviving,and i'm confident we can make top 6 even with drastic budget cuts.

Easy to say and impossible to solve but we need a settled back four in front of our keeper. Once we have that we'll be fine. For Sunday we need a quick fix and that will surely see the new lad brought in. Otherwise we go MacKay Miller Easton and Scobbie in yet another rejig at the back.

Dave anybody in that 10 yard circle around the center spot, kindley drawing by the groundsman to make it easy for them, is the responsibility of the CH was in my day anyway.so disna matter where they come from or how many the CB should at least be there.     

-----------------------------------

There's no doubt McLean had acres of space for the first,but he ran from 30 yards out to get there,without a midfielder following,not a cb's responsibilty imo

Dave anybody in that 10 yard circle around the center spot, kindley drawing by the groundsman to make it easy for them, is the responsibility of the CH was in my day anyway.so disna matter where they come from or how many the CB should at least be there.     

-------------------

I know you mean the penalty spot,but Miller and Wright are on Thompson and McGowan as i'd expect them to be,if a midfielder loses their man it's not their responsibilty imo

Easy to say and impossible to solve but we need a settled back four in front of our keeper. Once we have that we'll be fine. For Sunday we need a quick fix and that will surely see the new lad brought in. Otherwise we go MacKay Miller Easton and Scobbie in yet another rejig at the back.

The thing is Dave, the back end of last season and the start of this one, we've had a settled back four, but now we've got Ando's injury and Fraser's upcoming suspension to deal with, and Scobbie has recently been replaced by Easton for whatever reason.

If we have to go with the four you suggest, I'd rather Miller at right back and Mackay in the middle.

One thing's for sure, If Scobbie starts he'll play out of his skin to try and win a place back in the side!!

Back on topic, general away form, I'm tempted to go along with Broon in that we might be a bit too adventurous away from home

After emphatic performances at home(County and Caley), we've then gone into away games(Arabs and StM), with the same team, formation and tactics.

I know it's hard to drop anyone after a big team performance and a great win, but other teams do it to good effect, showing that sometimes change is a good thing.

An its 5 SPFL we have played,2 Euro aways and a cup away at Hamilton. So 8, not 16. Can't factor in last season. Couldn't do it for Lomas so its not fair to do it for Wright.

Won at Minsk,Rosenborg and Hamilton. We will likely win at Morton away. Its fine.

I agree... After all he is a rookie manager! Needs a chance & some luck!⚽️

4-4-2 away from home is asking for trouble IMO. We were constantly out numbered in the middle of the park and susceptible to break aways. I remember a couple of occasions when Goodwin ran from near enough his own 18 yard box to ours completely unchallenged. Jim ****ing Goodwin!?

It's been difficult for us with Maclean and May forming such a good partnership, but I really do think we need to go back to 3 men in the middle of the park and 2 wingers with 1 up top on his own. The fact we're short at centre back doesn't help either.

It wont take much to solve the problems - a scrappy 1-0 away win will go a long way IMO.

There was a big Ando sized hole in the defence and Im not sure we have solved our left back problems either.

We need to hope Ando makes a miraculously quick recovery or that Sanel Jahic is the real deal.

Really missing an in form Murray Davidson. As great as the depth is in our squad we are missing just one or two top four players.

Murray Davidson, Callum Davidson, Liam Craig, the difference between finishing 2nd or 3rd and finishing 7th or 8th.

Having signed the quality of Wotherspoon, Nigel learning quickly keeping Maanus and Stevie May stepping up to the plate to replace Tade we could have had a pretty memorable season. But with the retirement of Callum, the loss of Liam, the poor performance of Murray and now the loss of Ando for a large part of the season, it looks ominous.

tbh Cup tie would usually slip into cb with Miller dropping into rb but we re so bare atm that can't happen. Another point I don't think anyone has covered is the manager not settling for defeat after the sending off. We were still going for the win which is a credit to him and the team.

The problem on Saturday was that Goodwin played in a defensive midfield position and this was somehow not spotted. He never had a single challenge on him the whole game,  when he got the ball no one went to close it down and he just sauntered through the middle of the park. One of the strikers should have been dropped back onto him or a change in shape was needed to get a midfielder on him He had so much time and room that he could do what ever he wanted with it.

Anytime I see comments like this, I always start day dreaming about when were bottom of the lowest division.

Aye, those were the days!No worries about away form  (we had none) or worries about finishing in top 6, we would be lucky to see 6 top class passes in a row!

For the record i dont think we have any cause for concern at all

Edited by THE LARK SAINT