Grangemouth Petro -Chemical Plant To Close

sixties saintee

The Unions scored an own goal there. Played right into the hands of the owners....the best quote being from the Union rep who said "it's as if they wanted us to strike" which then asks the question "well then, why did you?"

As far as I can tell, the reason for the strike in the first place was petulance of the highest order. I'm not saying everything was rosey, but they handled it very badly

The Unions scored an own goal there. Played right into the hands of the owners....the best quote being from the Union rep who said "it's as if they wanted us to strike" which then asks the question "well then, why did you?"

As far as I can tell, the reason for the strike in the first place was petulance of the highest order. I'm not saying everything was rosey, but they handled it very badly

Is it just coincidence that this is happening whilst a YES/NO campaign for Independence is ongoing and that this is the work of "Maggies" love child and his westminster cronies -ie No Oil processing plant and nowhere else to process it other than England ?

I fear our neighbours just love us too much to let go.

Is it just coincidence that this is happening whilst a YES/NO campaign for Independence is ongoing and that this is the work of "Maggies" love child and his westminster cronies -ie No Oil processing plant and nowhere else to process it other than England ?

I fear our neighbours just love us too much to let go.

just to be clear, INEOS have said it's the petro-chemical plant that will close, not the oil refinery.  Still a disaster.  I sincerely hope there is a buyer out there or that the Scottish Government do a Prestwick and nationalise.

did they not say the refinery would stay closed till the workers agree to the new conditions.

just to be clear, INEOS have said it's the petro-chemical plant that will close, not the oil refinery.  Still a disaster.  I sincerely hope there is a buyer out there or that the Scottish Government do a Prestwick and nationalise.

My mate Eric is a chargehand there. He says that the vote was split 50:50, with the office guys for and the shop floor against. He also reckons the refinery isn't viable without the plant running on its doorstep.

Unless a buyer comes forward, which looks unlikely if the current owners can't make it work financially, It looks like a bleak Christmas for all who work there and very bad news indeed for Scotland.

The unions should have known better than try to blackmail a multi-millionaire. His money allows him to blackmail the workforce, and as has now been seen, he does not care a jot for the workforce or that part of his business empire.

Sipping champers in his BIG Effin yacht, and with the tories in power on the thames then he has no worries. I hope a buyer is found and my heart felt sypathys go out to the workforce and their families, but again,  the union hierarchy will not be without pay.

this can be all traced back to Maggie Thatcher's Britain!!!!

If the Conservatives had not privatised BP, then the plant @Grangemouth would never have been taken over by millionaires only out to do one thing

line there own pockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is bad for everyone! Why are the workers suddenly the bad boys! Or the unions for that matter! What if the Union had just sat back & agreed to pay cuts, pension cuts, cuts to terms and conditions! There would have been an uproar!

If the union had backed down, how soon would it be before other firms would chance their mitt and try the same on their workers. We should all be very afraid!

If you think it is bad now when we still have the threat of independence...wait until we don't! The clowns in power are already threatening to reduce the money we receive from the Barnett formula!

I laugh when folk say to me we couldn't afford to go it alone! I think we can't afford not to. If anyone is any doubt we couldn't manage on our own just needs to see how hard our neighbours are trying to hold on to us!

We should all be getting behind these poor workers, one day it will be us!?!

It's always hard to know who's telling the truth in these negotiations.

McLuskey says he's doesn't understand the word "humiliated". The INEOS guy says they'll put out a statement tomorrow.

Here's hoping these folks can keep their jobs, even if they have less pay and benefits it's got to be better than the Dole?

Here's hoping these folks can keep their jobs, even if they have less pay and benefits it's got to be better than the Dole?

Problem is, if you show you can be shafted once, you show you can be shafted indefinitely. I don't doubt that if they work out some kind of deal, INEOS'll start playing silly buggers every year until it's 0-hour contracts, unpaid overtime and minimum wage all round. Seems a bit iffy to turn the entirety of working in Britain into a race to the bottom.