Genuine Bit Of Saints History

soulfulsaint

That's what I guessed, but your scores are all wrong for that.  Check here: http://www.statto.com/football/teams/st-johnstone/1970-1971

Our goal difference in finishing third was 15.  Celtic (1st) was 66, Aberdeen (2nd) was 50 and Rangers (4th) was 24.  Obviously a lot of high scoring games away from Muirton as well.

Sorry I was a year our Born2Bru :), it was the 1969/70 season and these were the League Cup games. The League Cup games are bottom of this page - http://www.statto.com/football/teams/st-johnstone/1969-1970/results

The league (18 teams) started off with an away game against Celtic 2-2 and was the nest Saints game I have ever seen.

I forgot about that site it's very good but doesn't have scorers for games back then.

Was at most of the games mentioned including the 8-1 at Partick and the 2-2 at Celtic Park arrived late at Celtic and me and my mate ended up in the Jungle with the Celtic diehards we had our Saints scarfs on bit scary at first being 15 at the time but fair play to the Celtic fans they were fine. Great game that day great goal from Freddy, don't know how many Hall and Connolly scored that year but must have been a right few.

Was at most of the games mentioned including the 8-1 at Partick and the 2-2 at Celtic Park arrived late at Celtic and me and my mate ended up in the Jungle with the Celtic diehards we had our Saints scarfs on bit scary at first being 15 at the time but fair play to the Celtic fans they were fine. Great game that day great goal from Freddy, don't know how many Hall and Connolly scored that year but must have been a right few.

I'm around the same age BB and might know you. Yes the Celtic fans were good. Memories of that Celtic game were -
  • we had won eight League Cup games in a row before this league opener;
  • before the start of the game a black limousine or equivalent went round the track with the previous league championship trophy 1968/69;
  • Jim Donaldson came running out of his box and tackled a wee skilful player called Jimmy Johnstone who had been chased around a pitch in Montevideo (Uruguay) by a pack of mad Argentinians (Racing Club) two years previously (World Club Championship) and also got a European Champions medal that year also along with eight others playing that day. Jim tackled Jimmy and instead of kicking it out took the ball for a run before hitting it out;  :shock:
  • great end to end play and without the detail was eventful;
  • like you I do remember the Fred Aitken goal particularly because it was between him and Connolly from the half way line;
  • I/We met Kenny Aird's Dad that day. H e came up alongside us and asked what we thought of the right winger we had and then gave us the story that he wasn't getting enough games at Celtic and took the chance of first team football when St.Johnstone came in for him, he was a nice man but we `got separated at a Saints goal;
  • Leaving after the game I heard one Celtic fan saying to another "They would be good in the final". That was the League Cup Final but we still had to beat  Motherwell;
  • An auld Jakie guy pushed his way onto our bus and started shaking everybody's hands followed by another guy and we Saints got a lo of respect;
  • Celtic reached another European Champions Final that year against Feyenoord of Holland; (the last time a Scottish team reached a European  Champions Final);
  • These were the best Celtic and St. Johnstone teams(eras) of all time.
Just a footnote to the World Club Championship in 1967 and not directly relevant but definitely interesting. Both teams played home and away and it remained level. They played in a neutral ground in Uruguay, 24 hours travel for Celtic and a ferry across the River Plate for Racing Club (Buenos Aires). It's great how football brings cultures together -