Partick Thistle V St Johnstone Saturday 14/12/13

garydavidson

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

good win, just what we needed after Saturday

Mmmm....good outcome I would say as opposed to a good win.

Very concerned with the way we played from the point we scored to the end of the game. Up to us scoring, we were excellent....pressuring high up the park, feeding Croft and Spoony who were ripping them down the flanks.....an excellent run by the latter leading to the goal.

After we scored, we noticably went deeper and just stopped playing.

Also concerned with TW's subsitutions. The midfield basically became non-effective, especially in the middle, although Cregg kept plugging away and Midge was, well, industrious without being creative. The game was completely passing MacDonald by and it was in the area that he was filling that we were constantly losing the ball. I seriously think he maybe touched the ball twice in the second half. Seems to have a habit of running to the area where the ball is, but then not actually looking committed to winning it.

I still think Croft had more to offer when removed, and then taking Cregg off instead of MacDonald was just baffling. I have no problem with introducing O' Halloran, but Miller for Cregg was weird. Why is a full back being brought in to play the holding midfielder role when Scott Brown was sitting on the bench? Anyway, the worrying thing is that the changes, regardless of the personnel involved, had no effect whatsoever (and that is a good measurement of wise substitutions) and we were lucky to leave with all three points. The only reason we did was down to solid defending across the back line with a good few lunging blocks on Partick shots. Must say that Banks didn't put a foot wrong all evening that I can think of.

If we play like that (from the goal onwards) in the semi final, we will get HUMPED.

Listening on the radio it seemed like it was all partick in the second half. Couldn't have proved Mcdonald was playing from the commentary, didn't hear his name once.

But got to hear loads about plastics magnificent support, crammed into the stand, giving their heroes a fantastic reception, incredible noise from the home fans, ad nauseaum.

Incidently, what was the crowd last night? Must have been excess 7k, right?

We played well up until after the goal, we sat far to deep after that, humping the ball up the field to May without ever really looked a threat with the exception of down the flanks with croft. Thought midge played well which was good to see. Need to up our game for the semi though and can't do what we did last night or we can forget it.

Sounded by the reports of the radio commentators that the Ref. was card happy.

Is there a hidden agenda?

9 fouls and FOUR yellow cards.

Didn't sound like a dirty game at all.

Well done Saints, on occasions points are more welcome than performances.

It felt like the usual story....an opposition player commits three or four fouls in a short space of time...no booking....we foul once...yellow card.

Although, it has to be said, at least a couple of the bookings were probably deserved, yet totally unnecessary.....bad decision making

Croft had to come off and should have maybe been taken off a few minutes earlier.

No idea why he took Paddy off, sure he was booked but it was never a yellow and he wasn't in any danger of getting another one.

Nice to get 3 points but horrible to watch. Partick had so much 'pressure' because we never bothered to play once we got the goal. Can't really complain that we got 3 points without much attacking effort.

Was very nice of the Partick fans to start booing Stevie May at the start of the game, he shut them up.

Croft had to come off and should have maybe been taken off a few minutes earlier.

You think so? Why?

Just before he came off, he had two great runs down the right and still looked like he had the legs? He was also still offering a good 'out' ball for Cregg and Millar and using the ball well when he got it

You think so? Why?

Just before he came off, he had two great runs down the right and still looked like he had the legs? He was also still offering a good 'out' ball for Cregg and Millar and using the ball well when he got it

Because he was bent over double and obviously tired.

He hasn't played much and there was a risk if he went forward he would never make it back.

The highlights are up on youtube

He was bound to be feeling the pace, yes, but a minute before he got withdrawn, he had a belter of a sprint down the line. I still think he was offering something, whereas MacDonald was offering nothing. I am not saying he would have lasted the 90, but I just don't think it was the right change at the right time

The ball wasn't going through the middle of the park for us so no need to replace MacDonald. I would have had Croft off and Hasselbaink on to keep stretching the play down that wing.

The ball wasn't going through the middle BECAUSE of MacDonald...it was coming through the middle for them though.

Croft for Nige a decent shout...but TW would probably see that as not defensive enough!! I really think we are not very good at closing a game down, and that we should defend by being more attacking...what happened leading up to the goal was that we didn't need to worry about tracking back as their full backs were being pressed back and were wary of wandering up the pitch as they were in danger of being exposed.

He was bound to be feeling the pace, yes, but a minute before he got withdrawn, he had a belter of a sprint down the line. I still think he was offering something, whereas MacDonald was offering nothing. I am not saying he would have lasted the 90, but I just don't think it was the right change at the right time

Croft signalled to the bench after the last run down the line and later mentioned something about cramp. He played really well, but have to agree with others that he needed to come off.

To be fair, McDonald played an excellent pass out to Wotherspoon for our goal and also had a goal wrongly chalked off for offside.

He wasn't comfortable in the role he was asked to play last night I don't think, although he was good in the first half an hour or so before the whole team sat back.

Croft, Millar and Wotherspoon were all excellent in midfield I felt though, and the defence all played well too.

To be fair, McDonald played an excellent pass out to Wotherspoon for our goal and also had a goal wrongly chalked off for offside.

He wasn't comfortable in the role he was asked to play last night I don't think, although he was good in the first half an hour or so before the whole team sat back.

Croft, Millar and Wotherspoon were all excellent in midfield I felt though, and the defence all played well too.

I agree that McDonald was okay up until our goal. The whole team were playing further up the pitch, and therefore closer to him, and that suited him. I have never really been on his back before last night, and, really, I am not so frustrated with him (apart from aforementioned habit last night of getting near the ball then seemingly giving up on any form of commitment to actually win it), more that he wasn't replaced.

The goal that was ruled off for offside was a shocking decision...he wasn't even level....he was a good yard onside. I did wonder whether Gallagher stppoed though when he saw the flag and didn't really attempt a save