Hooked By Ice Hockey

JJacko8

Towards the end of last year I was convinced to go along to the hockey at Fife Ice Arena in Kirkcaldy.

I was a bit sceptical at first thinking it would be a few people at a run down ice rink watching a very poor standard of sport.

I could not have been more wrong. The Fife Flyers consistantly attract what seems like over 2000 people to their games, in a small nostalgic ice rink, which creates an indimidating atmosphere for the match day visitors. The game is of a great standard, fast paced, exciting with plenty of physical battles. There is always something happening to keep you engrossed in the game, the team could be down by a few goals with minutes left and still comfortably win the match.

Since I started attending the games I have convinced others to join me, and just like myself have been hooked and always go back for more.

The Fife Ice Arena is based in Kirkcaldy which is the second closest rink behind Dundee. The Flyers faithful like us Saints fans share the hatred towards the Soap Dodgers and consider it a big rivalry.

At £15 a game, I would seriously suggest going along and enjoying one of their matches. I guarentee you will not be disappointed.

If you want anymore info about it let me know. There are always cars going from Perth to games now and we would welcome anyone who wishes to check it out.

I know there are several other forum members who would back me up in saying that it is one of the most worthwhile trips you will make.

Well said Jack. It really shocked me how great a sport it is to watch live. I had misconceptions that it would be a bunch of amateurs from Kirkcaldy that make up the Fife team but the mix of professional players that come over from North America to live in Fife each season with some good quality Scottish lads it makes for a really high quality game.

I can't even ice skate but I just try and imagine it as sort of 6-a-side football on ice in terms of tactics etc, so I find it easy to relate to even though I can't skate or play hockey myself.

Guys like this always helps to make a game interesting as well… (although fighting is a really small part of the sport)

Hi guys

It's great to read that others have discovered hockey.

I played for Edinburgh for a short time before injury got the better of me 16-17 years ago. I endorse everything you say about the sport and I would also encourage anybody to go and watch a game. I know of quite a few other Saints fans that take a trip to Dundee every weekend to watch the Stars kick Flyers butt ;o)

As for not being able to skate... Really it's just about balance. A one hour lesson would get you on your feet and away from the barrier. It takes years to skate like these guys though!

The amateur level of hockey in Scotland is pretty decent too. There is a full contact level which tends to be feeder teams into the likes of Dundee, Fife, Braehead and Edinburgh or there's also a lower level, that I'm more likely to play in if I ever get my finger out. For those of us who need to work the next day and cant afford broken bones, there is recreational hockey or 'reccy'. The main differences of this level is that full contact is not allowed i.e. If you intend to check the opposition, you'll spend the game on you're erse either in the penalty box or in the dressing room.

Cunninghamvideo, I know you work at Kirkcaldy, you may wish to take at look at their reccy teams if you have the chance.

Levels in Reccy vary massively. There are the better teams likes Riversdale Pirates, Kirkcaldy Kings, Dundee Michelin and Paisley Blackhawks to the not so good, Caledonian Hellcats (my old team), Dundee Wildcats and Irvine Flyers. These teams take on novices regularly to give everyone a chance.

Teams re always looking for sponsorship too. The last team to play in Perth was Perth Predators. I was coach but unfortunately they folded due to a lack of commitment by Perth Ice Rink to support hockey so we couldn't attract players. Predators last played in about 2010 and they were sponsored for years by Dickens Bar for years. It would be nice to restart hockey in Perth if Live Active were prepared to support ice hockey.

If anybody reading this wants to know more about ice hockey or would like to have a go, PM me. I'll do anything I can to promote and support the sport.

www.scottishicehockey.net

www.dundeestars.com

www.fifeflyers.co.uk

www.braeheadclan.com

www.edinburgh-capitals.com

www.riversdale-pirates.co.uk

www.paisleyblackhawks.com

www.dundeemichelin.co.nr

leftwinger.wix.com/Dundee-wildcats

Edited by Saintcraig

I don't know a great deal about ice hockey, but a couple of years ago I went to see an LA Kings match in the NHL and absolutely loved it. At the time I was quite interested in going to see some matches when I got back to the UK, but was a bit disappointed to find there aren't that many teams knocking about. Was particularly surprised that London has no representative in the national league. Bit of a shame that it's never really caught on a great deal in the UK, as it's a really entertaining sport. Was there never any effort made to set up a Perth team after the ice rink was built?

Looking forward to the winter Olympics as the ice hockey's always one of the best things in it.

I have visited Murrayfield on a couple of occasions to watch ice hockey. Although I enjoyed it, not too sure I would go week after week.

haha Murrayfield is absolutely nothing on Fife or even Dundee. it definitely shows its age more than Fife, you're not on top of the action like in Fife/Dundee, the place is always half empty, there's big pillars in the way if you aren't sitting right at the front, it's a particularly cold rink, and also Edinburgh aren't very good and they're style of play isn't as exciting or end to end as other teams play as they are quite defensive in their tactics.

get along to a Fife Flyers home game and you'll see a huge difference in atmosphere.

Was in Belfast a few years back and took in the Belfast Giants v Sheffield Steelers and loved it.

Was only then that I realised that Dundee play in the same Elite League as them.

Have been down to Dundee a fair bit over the last 3 years and really like it, I ve also been at away games at Fife and Murrayfield.

Fifes a good place to visit, wouldnt reccommend Edinburgh for your first game.

Its only the cost that stops me going more really, its £16 for adults and £8 for kids at Dundee which is comparable to football, watching Saints would always be my first choice though and finding the funds to go to both isnt always easy.

Its nearing the end of the season I think and the play off games are normally good, always seems to me that there are more fights towards the end of the season too, I ve always thought that maybe players dont care as much about bans etc then, also they play 2 games most weekends so rivalries build up as the season goes on.

Like everyone else has said though, if you ve never been its definately worth a visit.

Huge game this Saturday, at home to the Cardiff Devils who are just above the Flyers in the league occupying a Play-off spot. Should attract a big crowd off over 2000, apparently 200 Cardiff fans are making the trip, which promises to be a good atmosphere.

With Saints not playing until Monday night, it is a great opportunity for those to come and experience a great game. The Flyers will be up for this game too, with the defeat in the Challenge cup still fresh in their minds.

I can't describe how good these games are and I would strongly reccommend coming along on Saturday night to Fife Ice Arena.

Face off is 7:15, £16 adults, £11 students and £9 children its great value for money. A couple of cars are going through already from Perth.

• 2 weeks later...

Huge game on Sunday. Big derby match against Dundee which always attracts a 2000+ crowd. There are a few of us heading through from Perth and may look into the option of a mini bus so that we can make use of the bar facility!

If there is any game I would strongly recommend to go to it would have to be a Flyers v Stars match, it was the first match that the group who I go with, went to see and it hooked us all. Very good night out and is always a close game with the teams having a genuine dislike towards one another, both crowd and players.

Get yourself along, I promise you will not be disappointed. If we get enough interest we will book a mini bus.

Get onto Perth Fife Flyers Fan Club facebook page to register your interest and like the page.

Cheers

Sundays gonna be a cracker!  Looking forward to it!

Anyone who has Virgin Media XL can watch the Flyers away to Hull Stingrays live on Premier Sports on Wednesday at 1900.

Hoping to take a decent following through from Perth on Sunday! Get involved sports fans!

Being a Fifer, I went to see the Flyers a couple of times when I was younger, and a couple of times more when I lived in Dundee and they played there. I never really got the bug but it was good enough fun.

My knowledge of the game increased massively upon moving to Finland as it's the biggest sport here by a country mile, went to see a couple of games at the World Championships last year, one of which featured Finland (the atmosphere was pretty great, it was basically the equivalent of Scotland playing at Hampden in a World Cup they had a chance of winning).

I've been to a few domestic games over here too (SM Liiga (Premier Division) and Mestis liiga (Highland League)), it's something to do in the football close season but not having affinity for a particular club takes a lot of spice out of the experience.

Still like wearing my Flyers scarf though, mostly because it's similarity to a Sweden one winds up the locals!

• 2 weeks later...

Was there never any effort made to set up a Perth team after the ice rink was built?

Yeah many of us tried for years. The closest we got was a senior amateur team that migrated from Glenrothes when their risk closed down. Unfortunately Dewars Ice Rink is not designed for hockey or any form of ice sport except Curling and they have the opinion that ice hockey destroys their facility but tbh, no more than any other ice rink. Perth did have a very successful juniors set up for years which I came through and became a coach of but yet again, the curlers got their way. Ice time was restricted so regular training could not be arranged and eventually people get p'd off and take the kids elsewhere so the club folded.

Some great memories though

I'd love to try and get something else in Perth but there's very little support both moral and financial.

Never been to a game in Scotland but was visiting my Canadian side of the family. And we went to a Maple Leafs v Boston Bruins game, was decent. **** going every week though. The fans are more into the players fighting than actually playing the game and scoring points IMP.

Maple Leafs are usually shite but fill the arena every game I think somebody has to die in Toronto before a season ticket comes up for grabs.

I lived in Edmonton and was lucky enough to see one off the best Wayne Gretzky

Edited by john.w

Yeah many of us tried for years. The closest we got was a senior amateur team that migrated from Glenrothes when their risk closed down. Unfortunately Dewars Ice Rink is not designed for hockey or any form of ice sport except Curling and they have the opinion that ice hockey destroys their facility but tbh, no more than any other ice rink. Perth did have a very successful juniors set up for years which I came through and became a coach of but yet again, the curlers got their way. Ice time was restricted so regular training could not be arranged and eventually people get p'd off and take the kids elsewhere so the club folded.

Some great memories though

I'd love to try and get something else in Perth but there's very little support both moral and financial.

Any advice for beginners wanting to learn and hopefully play some amateur when ready?

Three of us giving it a go and just concentrating on being competent at skating at the moment. Planning on going to hockey for all in Dundee soon though.

Any advice for beginners wanting to learn and hopefully play some amateur when ready?

Three of us giving it a go and just concentrating on being competent at skating at the moment. Planning on going to hockey for all in Dundee soon though.

No problem. PM and we can discuss it. Maybe catch up and I can give you a few pointers. I just need a new blade for my skate first but thats in hand. Edited by Saintcraig

• 1 month later...

Two massive games this weekend. Fife Flyers play Dundee Stars in the quarters of the play offs. Last weekend Fife had two sell outs of 3500. They would put the majority of football crowds to shame.

Saturdays game is in Fife at 7.15, then on the Sunday in Dundee at 6.30. Dundee practically sold out today though.

Anyone interested should really get involved!