Saints V Hibs 22/03/2014 3Pm

SaintDougie

Liam was doing it all on his own under Fenlon just about.  I can't believe they have got worse under Butcher.  

He is getting desperate.He brought back Thomson who nobody wanted & he is already playing Tawio. Maybe he will resign Clancy.

Decent result and performance. Started fairly poorly and were lucky not to be behind when Gary McDonald put a Hibs player clear through on goal. However after that it was all Saints and we should have scored at least double what we did. . Decent reactions from Maclean to score the first goal but should have been far more comfortable at half time. If Gary Mcdonald had missed the open goal Maclean missed he would have gotten pelters. We dominated the second half and for the first time in weeks we looked like scoring every time we attacked. Can't comment on the red card as didn't get a great view.

Player wise Anderson and Wright were immense and won everything in the air - we can definitely get at least another year out of that centre half partnership but where the game was won was with the two wide men. Wotherspoon and O'halloran actually took on the full backs which allowed so many chances to be created. We are much more effective attacking teams with pace down the flanks rather than launching balls all day for May to chase. James Dunne was poor but he will improve  

and with Gary Mcdonald, yes he had a decent game but a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

Wouldn't be surprised if Butcher got rid of most of that Hibs team. Brutal.

I was actually quite surprised at just how bad they were today.  Some reasonable players, like Craig and Heffernan look like nothing in that team.  McGivern is laughably bad at left back, and once he'd been booked (rightly so) Wotherspoon had him in his pocket.  Croft couldn't wait to run at him too when he came on.  I actually thought Haynes looked like he brought some pace to the team and was their most likely threat, but the red card stamp was just suicidal stuff.  

To think their alternative striker is James Collins too :o

How many players have left us over the years for so called bigger clubs and their career has then gone downhill. Vine last year and is Craig about to become the latest. Although he was good for us he was never a player who pulled the strings in the middle of the park. His strength , for me, was chipping in with important goals and delivering a decent corner or freekick. I got the feeling Hibs today expected him to run the game from the middle of the park. I don't think he is good enough for that.

Spoony miles ahead of him today.

What part was that.Dunne had to work the midfield on his own again.

Read my post and what i was replying to back . Are you seriously saying Gary Mac has contributed nothing to Saints achieving top 6 ?

He may vanish in some games and is a bit shit but he has contributed a lot more than some in the squad and that is a fact .

Take it you weren't at the game then?  Dunne was poor yesterday to say the least.

Never said he was good or bad. Just stating he was basically on his own covering midfield as he was playing alongside the ghost & spoony ohalloran were mainly wide.

There is no doubt that Hibs are a poor side just now, but i think that we perhaps have to acknowledge that, in my opinion anyway, our opening goal came against the run of play. If Macca had scored the sitter then perhaps we would have seen them totally fall out the game sooner, but as it was, Wright had to make a superb block to prevent an equaliser and really up until Hayes suicidal sending off we can't really say that we were in complete control

Saying that, Ando and Frazer made sure that they never really got a sniff of goal, with Mannus only save coming from Frazer's back header.

Dunne wasn't great, but still won a good few hefty challenges. If it wasn't for the discussions that have went before, I don't think anybody would have been pointing out MacDonald as having a bad game. Yes, he made his obligatory mistakes, but also contributed a lot of positive things. The fact that he done so when we were winning against a poor side down to ten men is perhaps a point worth considering though. Still, you can only play against what is in front of you.

We need a left back to get fit. Dave did okay in a defending sense, but he looked uncomfortable when he had the ball at his feet in that position. Did anybody notice just before kick off, after the 'captains photo' he started to run towards the right back berth and Ando stopped him and pointed to left back and they both laughed :)

Spoony and O'Halloran were a joy to watch. MacLean wasn't as good as he can be but still demonstrated how to hold the ball and lay it off. May's passing was better and, as is often the case when a striker needs a goal, the keeper pulled of some good saves from his efforts

Gary Miller wasn't great, but wasn't terrible either. I'm comfortable with him in that back four

All in all, I fair enjoyed that

Have to add that, whereas last week I couldn't believe it when Dunne was replaced by wee Chris, yesterday it was the right move

The reason being that when we are winning, Millar's energy and breaking up of opponents play and retention in midfield will help see the game out, he won't win you a game when we are trailing, especially if in there with Gary

Never said he was good or bad. Just stating he was basically on his own covering midfield as he was playing alongside the ghost & spoony ohalloran were mainly wide.

Except MacDonald had a better game than Dunne yesterday.

I'd agree with the fact that he had a better game than I had thought at the time....not sure I would go as far as 'great' though

3 good chances for himself resulting in 3 good stops from the keeper. After 1 of these saves Saints scored from the resulting corner. Cross to Spoony for MacLean's miss. Cross to Spoony for his header and another good save. Lovely pass to O'Halloran resulting in 2nd goal.

Great performance imo.

3 good chances for himself resulting in 3 good stops from the keeper. After 1 of these saves Saints scored from the resulting corner. Cross to Spoony for MacLean's miss. Cross to Spoony for his header and another good save. Lovely pass to O'Halloran resulting in 2nd goal.

Great performance imo.

Actually, when you read that, you are probably right...and passing is an aspect of his game that folk (myself included) were saying that he needs to improve.

Maybe just judging him by his own goalscoring standards in that I (and probably he himself) would have expected him to have scored at least one....but you can't account for the keeper having great saves

Edited by Edstar101

An accomplished performance. There is still plenty of room for improvement and we were arguably fortunate to be playing a team as poor as Hibs. We started poorly and I was expecting a similar performance to the Ross County encounter. The first goal is clearly of absolute importance to Saints' confidence. We started playing with much more freedom after MacLean's goal and could have won the game at an absolute canter.

My stand-outs were Anderson, Wotherspoon, O'Halloran and McDonald (the latter started poorly but really came into the game and was significantly better than James Dunne for the first time. Keep it up, Gary).

It's a bit of a shame that we have another midweek clash now. I'd be inclined to start with the same line-up but wouldn't be too surprised to see Croft and Hasselbaink start on the wings. It's great to have so many excellent options in that position at that moment. We're certainly not too accustomed to that.