Who Will You Be Standing There For?

Edstar101

Yes, another thread about the cup final, but, having seen evidence of it throughout other threads, and on Facebook too, I just wanted to bring together a place for people to say who will be with them on the 17th May that have either passed away or can't go for any other reason.

For me, my granddad will be in my thoughts as the teams come out onto the park. It was he that took me along to Muirton Park as soon as I could walk from Craigie to the ground and brought Saints into my life.

Having only move here and supported Saints for the last 32 years and luckily still having all my family around me my thoughts will be with others family members who have passed away, but a special thought will be with George Gordon and his family.

Fortunately, no family who have followed Saints will miss the final, but having attended with my dad all my life, I've seen several of his friends pass away, and with the ever reducing crowds at McD the row in which they always sat has more than a couple of empty seats these days.  I'll certainly spare a thought for those old geezers whose faces are always part of my childhood memories of going to games.

Neither of my parents were bothered  about Football, my dad was an auld farmer who never had the time and my Mother had a soft spot for Man Utd and Celtic but  no more than that.

I had 3 uncles  who were into Football though two were Arabs  and invited me and my brother to games , my brother went a couple of times but never really  took to it and i just flatly refused to go to see them.

Fortunately not all my mums brothers fell on there head at birth and my other Uncle was a die Hard Saints fan

And so it was to Muirton i went with my uncle George from about the age of  7 or 8(I cant really remember)Sadly there  is no chance to catch up with him as he died several years ago in his early 50s with the big C.

If it had not been for Uncle George i might never have got into  Football or Saints

So at some point on the day i will lift a glass to my late Uncle George (He lived for days like this)

RIP Uncle George.

My thoughts will be with Steve Cameron who passed away on 1 April this year.  Steve and I went to many games over a period of 50 years, even the bad old days the 80s when we were in the bottom league - then we would go to the Scottish Cup game (and it was usually just one!), even if we didn't go to many Division 3 league games.  His wife will be with me to represent him at the one game we had dreamed of over all these years.  Steve often told me of his great-uncle, Johnny Cameron, a famous St Johnstone player for 13 years around 1911.

My dad who supported Saints all his life. He passed away 10 years ago aged 90 . He took me ( age 3) & my big sister to all the games at Muirton,

Travelled to most grounds with him over the years including the 1969 final.

Happy memories of lost bunnets after Saints scored, pies knocked off the main stand onto poor woman below and him sprinting onto pitch at Alloa to congratulate the team.

Couldn't get his funeral tea at McD as they were fully booked, Saints were very apologetic as he was a long standing supporter & season ticket holder .

Thanks dad for making me a Saints supporter and taking me to games both home & away.

Will have happy memories and a few tears in my eyes as me, my sister and my dads bunnet wait for the boys to emerge onto the pitch on Saturday 17 the May. This one is for you dad, hope that I can see Saints win this cup for you & countless others who have gone before.

There are three people that will be in the back of my mind on the 17th.

My close friend Daniel McAra, a Rangers fan but a closet saintee passed away before his time a few years ago. Would always come along to "big" saints games with us for the day out and get more involved in the atmosphere than he'd care to admit.

Another young lad who passed before his time was Darren Wilcox. A Kilmarnock fan by trade but spent a few years on the books at saints as a youth player and again would be one of those who would come along for the banter and get more caught up in the occasion than he would like!

And of course young Owen Ford, a lad who would have given anything to see Saints play in a cup final, unfortunately no longer with us

Strangely enough my thoughts will be for my father in law who was a life long Hibee fan. Despite this on coming to Perth he not only regularly attended Saints games - and supported Saints at them unless they were playing Hibs - but he also was a major influencer in having Saints sponsored by Famous Grouse as he was senior within Highland Distillers at the time. He encouraged my three children to support Saints not Hibs - and they were all brought up here in the West and was as devastated as I was when we lost to Dundee United in the semi final at Dunfermline. I know he will be right beside us on 17th May and he will be cheering as loudly as my son and I for the Saints. Tears in my eyes .... so will stop there - finally thanks guys for getting us to the Final - keep believing and we can pass the FINAL hurdle!

My dad is 92 this year, but in a care home now, unable to walk amongst other ailments,but I really wish he could make it Saturday, with the rest of the bus from Glenrothes,took me to Muirton mid 60's and we went together by car, all over the country, at least he'll see it on council tele,he's followed them since 1930's

Edited by dave mc

I remember when my granddad was well down the path of dementia and I used to pick him up from Murray Royale, often on a Saturday afternoon. He didn't know me from Adam as I sat and watched him drop bits of sandwich all over my car and shout obscenities at passing strangers...but I am almost certain that when the results came on the radio and I would tell him that Saints had won, for a brief second there was a flicker of recognition and almost a smile

My late gran I suppose. Not a Saints fan or great football fan for that matter, though she would always watch Sportscene :) Anyway I digress, I always remember her saying to me when I was very wee that I should support St Johnstone as I was born in Perth, this was before I even knew what football or a St Johnstone even was! Something must have resonated in my subconscious later in life

Edited by SaintDougie

My late gran I suppose. Not a Saints fan or great football fan for that matter, though she would always watch Sportscene :) Anyway I digress, I always remember her saying to me when I was very wee that I should support St Johnstone as I was born in Perth, this was before I even knew what football or a St Johnstone even was! Something must have resonated in my subconscious later in life

I am sure she always told you to buy Eddie beer too

I'll be there for my Grandad who died a couple of years before we got promoted. He was a season ticket holder all his life and went to every away game. Helped geoff brown take over the club as a banker and took me to my first game aged four and started my love for football and St. Johnstone. Sad that he won't be able to make it to saints first ever final.