Who Will You Be Standing There For?

Edstar101

My father the late great Jack Cosgrove who died as a young man in a car crash near Alyth. He was brought up at 28 Ainslie at the Ice-Rink end and took me to my first matches. After his death i was looked after by my uncle Billy Cosgrove who was also a Saints diehard and passed away recently. I traveled with him to Monaco. His ashes are buried by the centre-line opposite his seat in East Stand. My mate's dad George Mason who was a turnstile operator at Muirton came with us to Monaco and also recently passed away. They will be with us heart and soul. RIP You showed us the way.

My grandad. I started going regularly again the season before that "Gretna" one, and had tried to convince him to come along as I know he was a former regular. He refused, and said he'd come back once we got promoted with a laugh and a grin. 

He never saw that day, as he passed away just months before we lifted the trophy Im sure, I'd be lying if I could say with truth as I spent a long time trying to get over it and its all become a bit blurred. But I feel like he's had something to do with this, as since he said that Saints have gone from strength to strength and now we're here in a Final at long last. I hope he can pull one more favour up there

Edited by RandomGuy

Who will we be standing for - For all those who have left us and we think about every day, all we ask is stand /sit or be at our shoulders, help us lift our voices as we urge our heroes to victory.

My father John Stewart, a saints fan all his life, who used to like many carry their sons over the turnstile at Muirton, we went to every game before cancer took him nearly 6 years ago. I can still see and feel his emotions watching the games, when I was growing up I never stood with my mates at the game as I loved standing with my dad, even in my teenage years I never relented when the "CYS" was the most exciting thing happening.

I felt he gave me a special gift in teaching me to support StJohnstone something special a father can give a son.

It's a special thing in life to say your a diehard St Johnstone fan. My dad gave me that privilege.

I really miss him going to the games now, I continued the family tradition with my son and daughter now firmly established season ticket holders.

I just would give anything for another afternoon in the stands at Parkhead with him to see his face light up if we win.

I'm taking a photo in my pocket of him when we were in Monaco following the saints. I know he will be there but I'm also making sure he with me too.

He can't miss this one.

having watched the team over 50 years with three generations soon to be four I would like to mention a few people. Geoff's dad Charlie lovely man, Gary Thompson mainstay of Totten's midfield in the eighties, who died tragically John Kilgannon similarly'. My dad who introduced me to the Saints in 1960 and would have been so excited about this.I think there will be many of us old guys in tears on 17th May but can I just say thank you to the generations after us for their brilliant support of the team. Particularly Big Stu you have made an old man so happy that he can go the biggest game of his life with his family.

For dad. We moved from Perth to Glasgow when I was 5 and I couldn't understand the fascination my classmates had with football, particularly this Rangers mob they went on about. After being excluded from lunchtime kick abouts for a while, dad told me to tell the other boys I supported St.Johnstone. They may have been bewildered or bemused but they certainly couldn't bully me over that choice! Wasn't long before I had the kit, went to most away games and, when we moved back to Perth 5 years later, we got our season tickets together. So many happy childhood memories revolve around Saints games with dad.

His funeral was the day of the Rosenburg home game. He shone down on us that day and I'm sure he'll be with us on 17th May too.

Hope for you he does...momentous days like these heighten the loss ⚽️

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be standing for my old man "jim" a life long saint who passed away in "99. Like many others here, he took me to muirton when i was 5, lifted over or crushed inbetween him and the turnstyles to get in. I still have the PA photo of him holding me, sitting on the wall at the edge of the pitch during a game with my legs over the billboards late 60's early 70's. His ashes are in the crem as close to the north stand as you can get. He would've given his right arm for a day like this when he was alive. He will be there in thought and spirit and a little part of him as well, as I still have his scarf which will be coming with me. 15,000 physical supporters in celtic park on 17 May with 45,000 spiritual ones by the looks of this thread.

THIS IS OUR AND THEIR TIME ! COYS

Edited by sainties sheep

I'll be standing for my old man "jim" a life long saint who passed away in "99. Like many others here, he took me to muirton when i was 5, lifted over or crushed inbetween him and the turnstyles to get in. I still have the PA photo of him holding me, sitting on the wall at the edge of the pitch during a game with my legs over the billboards late 60's early 70's. His ashes are in the crem as close to the north stand as you can get. He would've given his right arm for a day like this when he was alive. He will be there in thought and spirit and a little part of him as well, as I still have his scarf which will be coming with me. 15,000 physical supporters in celtic park on 17 May with 45,000 spiritual ones by the looks of this thread.

THIS IS OUR AND THEIR TIME ! COYS

Great post. Every time I read these I struggle to keep my self together.

Obviously too late now, and would have been really difficult to do, but, like the runners do in Race for Life, would have been some thing to have had each supporter have the names of those as mentioned above that they 'are standing there for' on a card which we all held up at one point.

Thanks, SaintJet. Struggled when I was writing it, lots of memories of the big games with him the highs and the lows, the 2-1 win over Celtic at Muirton to get into the split when the Premier League started, the 2-1 defeat to Rangers at Ibrox in the Cup semi final, the 7-2 win over scumdee. Remembering him acting like a over excited idiot at them. That'll be me come Saturday with any luck. :laugh:

For Mum - who passed away this year and would have loved this great occasion.  I kept it together at the funeral and ever since and felt a bit odd about that.  When the winner went in at Ibrox I cracked and it all came out.  And for this I will always be grateful to those brave boys.  COYS ! 

Me, my brothers, sister and extended family will all be there on Sat with a special thought in our minds for our Grandad who was one of Saints oldest season ticket holders - he first saw them at Recreation Park and was still going to McD till he was 97- our Mum  who sadly passed away 2 years ago - and especially for our Dad who died on 17th May 1988.

My Mum and Dad were huge Saints supporters and because of them I have St Johnstone in my blood.

17th May - A very poignant date indeed!