Who Will You Be Standing There For?

Edstar101

My Dad. He's in his late 80s now and can hardly walk the length of the front room anymore. He also struggles to hear properly and gets confused quite easily. He's had a season ticket for 60 years - and still just about manages home games (his pal parks right in front of the main stand and a very short walk to his seat).

I tried everything to persuade him to go to the final but the practicalities of parking close enough to get him in and his likely confusion and possible panic with such a big crowd means that he will be watching everything on the box from the comfort of his armchair (probably with a glass or two of whisky in hand).

I'm sad he can't be there but he seems philosophical about it and is delighted my 8-year old daughter will be with me and will shout on his behalf.

He's never given up on Saints - to paraphrase the Shrugs - he's followed the Saints through the glory and the strife. He's had his heroes - Paddy Buckley, Henry Hall, Johnny Brogan - but like many here, he never abandoned Saints when we were at our depths pre-Geoff.

I wish he could be there with us. He was my inspiration to follow Saints - taking me to games as a youngster from 1974. Jim O'Rourke, Bobby Thompson and Mickey Lawson were heroes for both of us.

What I would give for a Saints win tomorrow - I desperately want my Dad to see it - even if he won't be there in person. His loyalty and passion for Saints over the years deserves it.

Jim Eccleston

#Believe. #Payback

My late dad who passed in 2003 aged 50. A life long Saintee, he began taking me to games in the mid-90s once he had given up being a referee /linesman. Plenty good memories of big games over the years, but the trip where we went to Monaco has to have been the best. I've actually got a good framed photo of the two of us, along with Soulful's Uncle Billy (who I knew pretty well from being in the office) and Alan Kernaghan from when my dad's firm sponsored him in his first season with us. Also, for my two grans both now in their 90s (both grandads were away before I came along), one in a home and one still in her own home. The one who is now in the home was there for the '99 final. All the people in the home were told today they would be wearing something blue and white tomorrow. She was more than made up when she got a scarf tonight as well.

That said, everyone going tomorrow will be standing for not just those who they knew, but all the thousands who they didn't, the ones who over the years supported Saints, including through the darker periods when success of any kind seemed a far off prospect. Hopefully we can do it for them.

• 1 month later...

Just had another look at this stream after nearly 2 months.  Still gives me the willies, it's all so inspiring and sad at the same time.  To be honest I needed a wee bit of inspiration to throw a sickie and head to Switzerland and new these posts would provide just that.  Thank you folks. 

• 6 years later...

My mum - a Dunkeld lass.   Vaccinated me against OF-itis when a lad and gave me a booster jag every year.  Thanks to her I never developed the OF illness and was able to take her and my own lad to the 2014 final.  A joyous day for the three generations of Saintees, and on the 22nd she’ll be ‘looking down’ and cheering the lads on as me and my lad watch together - with her sitting between us in our hearts - and I’ll be wearing the scarf she wore that day.

Edited by henryhallsdanceband

Sadly in the same category as Dave Mc. Both Mum and Dad who were at the 2014 Cup Final have passed on. Have a cracking photo of them at Celtic Park with my Dad's arms round Mum beaming proudly.

I blame my dad for the infliction with Saints but no doubt he and Mum will be cheering them on in any way they can. It will be just as well the ref won't be able to hear Mum!