Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

It's a funny situation, with managers in football these days. Clubs with a settled management team seem few and far between. A lot of this must surely be down to the insecurity of the managers themselves in the job. There seems to be a drive to move to a 'better' club as soon as possible, because in reality the successful career of the average manager is much shorter than that of a footballer. I suppose if a manager fails at a big club, then he can drop down a league or two because that big club is on his CV forever.

I get the opposite impression from Tommy, a more traditional attitude to wanting to see the job through. Maybe it's the mindset of a goalkeeper who spent much of his career as second choice at clubs, or injured, and playing the longer game. He got his reward in many ways by playing for N Ireland so many times.

Our last few managers, Coyle, McInnes, Lomas, all seemed to be clearly using Saints as a stepping stone to becoming a great manager somewhere bigger. Tommy seems to want to become a great manager for Saints.

And why not? Why follow the trends just for the sake of it?

Credit when credit is due. Well said

Owen Coyle has done the best out of them all by a country mile, he is a millionaire has managed two English premiership teams and now has got one of the top teams in the USA  soccer league how can you say he has achieved nothing????????????????????, I would say Del, Lomas are the failures although Del has got Aberdeen going he is still a bit of damaged goods down south and his dream of getting the WBA gig is very much back to a dream just know, Lomas is the failure.

Tommy would be a good fit for the Blades but I am no sure Tommy is that interested in the pressure that these type of clubs put on you for success Clough was doing not bad with them really and probably would have pushed on next season, Most of the Blades I know were pretty happy with the way he was having them playing and it was consistency that was their problem this year, yet he gets binned . He deserves his chance though if he wants it and gets offered it he should take it.     

I'd be gobsmacked if Tommy left Saints this summer.  Simply cannot see it happening.

Next season has all the ingredients to be our best ever season.  We've got a cracking squad signed up, we've got a team spirit beyond comparison, we're actively seeking new players before the season has even ended, and we just took 1,300 folk to Aberdeen away FFS.  50/50 chance we'll be playing in Europe again, AND be seeded, therefore potentially looking at making the playoffs or even the groups.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Wright has also been more aware of our budget limitations, and possibly had them enforced on him more than Lomas ever was / had.

All Lomas could do was moan and bitch about not getting more money to spend (not to say that he didn't have some positive attributes - it's just his negative ones outweighed them imo - likewise, TW does have some negatives, but his positives outweigh them, and that is all you can ask)

50/50 chance we'll be playing in Europe again, AND be seeded, therefore potentially looking at making the playoffs or even the groups.

Seeded for first/second rounds, if we get there. If we make it through them I doubt we'd be seeded for third round. Almost definitely not for the play off.

Seeded for first/second rounds, if we get there. If we make it through them I doubt we'd be seeded for third round. Almost definitely not for the play off.

Understood, I thought the seeding would carry on to round three, but I stand corrected.

Nevertheless, the last two years we've beaten seeded teams, adopted their seeding in the next tie and lost, so can't read too much into it.  

Back on topic.... Fair to say Lomas brought in some decent players, but as far as im led to believe he was losing the respect of the players and board due to his arrogance, doesnt matter how good a team you assemble or good individual players, lose the dressing room then your doomed. Also TW was an unsung hero during this time as he put alot of effort into Saints which Lomas got the praise for, i have no idea how they both would have faired had TW left with him but i reckon their reign down south might have lasted a tad longer. Lomas was certainly a marmite character, I stopped watching most of his interviews to be honest. I believe he jumped before he was pushed

I find Tommy a different character all together, he seems to have the respect of everyone involved with St Johnstone including the fans, its fair to say he looks like hes enjoying his job at the moment and would be surprised if he leaves before the end of summer, but you can never say never

Edited by chips

I'd be pretty surprised if Wright was interested in the Sheffield Utd job. He doesn't seem to have that ambition to go to England that other managers in Scotland all seem to have. I get the impression he's settled here and that, barring something going surprisingly wrong, he'd be happy to stay here for a long time to come. As others have said, Coyle, McInnes and Lomas didn't give that impression. It's nice to be able to think that we have a manager whose ambitions lie with his current club, rather than another one.

It would be interesting to know if Tommy has any long-term goal for Saints, beyond the obvious top flight stability. Winning the Cup has always been the club's goal and, now that that's been done, is there anything he can do that would surpass it? I suspect the European group stages may be in the back of his mind. He seems to put a helluva lot of work and preparation into those European matches and I loved how last season he spoke about us wanting to be successful in Europe and not just being there to enjoy ourselves. If we can get back into Europe this summer, learn from our previous mistakes and maybe get a bit of luck in the draw, I think we're really well set up to take a proper stab at it. We may never be in a better position than this. Some very exciting times could lie ahead over the next few months... as long as Caley do their bit on Saturday!

couldn't agree more bueheaven. 

I'd like to think the club has realistic goals.  A few percent increase here and there on attendances all add up.  1,298 fans on Sunday was incredible.  We struggled to get that at home a few years back.  Another Euro night might bring the elusive full house - we were close for the Lucerne game. 

I'd be gobsmacked if Tommy left Saints this summer.  Simply cannot see it happening.

Next season has all the ingredients to be our best ever season.  We've got a cracking squad signed up, we've got a team spirit beyond comparison, we're actively seeking new players before the season has even ended, and we just took 1,300 folk to Aberdeen away FFS.  50/50 chance we'll be playing in Europe again, AND be seeded, therefore potentially looking at making the playoffs or even the groups.

While I admire your positivity, I don't follow your logic. If Caley win we'll be seeded for the first round of qualifying, that's a round earlier than last year. We'll have to negotiate three more qualifying rounds to reach the group stage. Realistically, it won't happen - UEFA have effectively legislated against smaller countries.

And we're not actually that great. Yes, we did well to finish fourth, but remember that top six was touch and go for a bit and we were helped by the collapse of Hamilton and United because they lost good players and a manager. Next year we're going to face tougher opposition in Hearts and perhaps Rangers.

I don't think Tommy will go either, but I don't think it's because next season will be outstanding. I think it will be a great achievement to finish top six again.

Once again the obvious escapes you ...Lomas brought TW ... I for one did not worry one bit when he left and was glad to have TW as Manager .... However Lomas added punch and belief into our team and TW used that experience of working with Lomas to install his method of respect ,graft and a sense of togetherness that was probably lacking but don't underestimate the aggression that lomas installed ...

I don't think the obvious escapes me very often. True, Lomas brought TW in to be his assistant, but we did not know how good TW would be. Was it Lomas who installed the aggression or was it the coaching staff? I'm not sure.

Having spoken with 2 people in the know, Lomas was arrogant and was unlinked by most of the players. As I've already said, I was glad when he left. I felt we would have gone backwards if he stayed.

These are only my opinions but from the number of likes my previous post got, I'm not alone with these opinions.