Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

Surely all this speculation is pointless. If Tommy really has ambition down south, then why would he go to a relegation fight with a team with no players, in the knowledge that any talent will be sold at the first available opportunity. 

If he has a buyout clause in his contract, then surely it tells us that he would consider a career move. A move to Utd would either delay a big move by years or destroy any genuine chance completely.

also, in managerial terms he is young still. He does not seem to be the kind of guy to be driven by money, so I cannot imagine he would go simply for a wage increase, when he could be making millions down south in a few years. 

Edited by montrosesaintee

Yes I'd be amazed and gutted if he went to Utd.  I think he could make a far bigger step up when the right move comes along for him, and he'd go with my best wishes.

I get all the bigger budget/ bigger fanbase stuff, but realistically what could he achieve at Utd that he can't at St Johnstone?

Win a cup?  Regularly qualify for Europe?  Done both.

Utd are a mess on and off the pitch just now, whereas Tommy has put together our best squad in quite a while.  It's not as if our team is on the decline yet either.

He will certainly leave one day in the not too distant future.  Northern Ireland or down south are probables, but I wouldn't rule out Rangers as a possibility further down the line.  With lomas begging to be his assistant!

Macca as player manager.

Could certainly see Macca as manager of Saints one day.  Maybe not just yet though.  Really don't see Tommy going to United.  As Monty says it would delay or maybe even destroy his chances of a big job down South.

The press seem to be really jumping on this today. I'm now gearing up for him leaving. 

Pretty much this. EVERY news outlet is running the story now. 

Youd assume Callum would take charge and we'd continue on our merry path, but it would destroy TWs legacy for most, and the chairman would realise the reaction after Mays departure was an easy ride.

I don't see Wright going south. Given the failure of Lomas, McInnes and to a certain extent, Coyle, I wonder whether any Championship chairman will come looking up here. While like others I can only see the move to Utd as a daft one, it wouldn't entirely surprise me.

The club and Wright have said they were grooming Davidson for the manager job.

There's been no approach from Utd but media saying they will make one this week. Of course he has a say in it but I am now thinking he would take the job. Hughes is in the press saying he wants a 3 year extension at Caley after being linked with it whilst Tommy is say he is flattered.

No matter how happy anyone is in their current job, if someone else wants to come in and make you an offer then you would surely be open to finding out how much they value you at. Even if you're not interested in moving, personally it would show you where you stand in the industry, and professionally it could give you leverage to negotiate a better contract with your current boss.

He's a smart man, he'll know exactly what he's doing. Keeping it polite enough so as to invite an offer if it comes, but also vague enough so that he can say he never fancied the job if it doesn't.

If the clubs agree a compensation package, I think he will go. He's obviously very happy in the area and, if we're being realistic, there's not much else Tommy can achieve at Saints. He's won the Scottish cup, taken us into Europe twice, won ties home and away in Europe, made several semi finals and finished top 6 each season he's been at the club as both manager and assistant. He's said on many occasions that he's settled in the area. United are a club with more money to spend and more potential than we do, which is probably the only thing that Tommy's ever been outwardly frustrated about. They have A LOT of improving to do if he gets things right there and it will further enhance his reputation at a club with more spotlight than we ever get.

We may see Rotherham make a move  as well as they do seem to keep an eye on things in Scotland.

If he does go (I really hope he doesn't) I think Callum will be offered the job in the first instance. Good chance we'll see Cleland bumped up to assistant and one of the first team squad given a joint player/coaching role. Maclean might be the man for that.

No matter how happy anyone is in their current job, if someone else wants to come in and make you an offer then you would surely be open to finding out how much they value you at. Even if you're not interested in moving, personally it would show you where you stand in the industry, and professionally it could give you leverage to negotiate a better contract with your current boss.

He's a smart man, he'll know exactly what he's doing. Keeping it polite enough so as to invite an offer if it comes, but also vague enough so that he can say he never fancied the job if it doesn't.

I was thinking the same KJOS.  Tommy is an intelligent and grounded individual and may well be hedging his bets.  That said, if United make the right offer he has a duty to himself and his family to consider a move.  Such speculation is inevitable given his record overall......and his record in the last few weeks is remarkable.  To go to Ibrox to face an unbeaten Sevco who were cheered on by the usual hysterical media and swat them aside without breaking sweat was a terrific result.  To give Jackie a lesson,(another one) and an exemplar for everyone watching on how to play 11 with 10, raised the bar further......and to cap it all his team then crush the league leaders at home with a clinical display of real quality.......the manner of these performances puts him top of the list for United.

Steven Thompson has IMO done an oustanding job for DUFC.  Through a variety of mechanisms he has taken toxic levels of debt down from 7 million to 1 million, whilst winning only our 5th trophy ever, and first in a generation whilst remaining top 6 for 7 consecutive years, however the last year has been a clusterf*ck!  Jackie's contractual situation finally caught up with the club following the sale of Armstrong and GMS to Celtic......a move from which Jackies team never recovered.  Thompson is a shrewd operator and I suspect he sees this situation as an opportunity to make peace with the fans and restore some much needed puropse to the club at all levels.  He will dig deep to pull this off........but will it be deep enough????????????????

There's been no approach from Utd but media saying they will make one this week. Of course he has a say in it but I am now thinking he would take the job. Hughes is in the press saying he wants a 3 year extension at Caley after being linked with it whilst Tommy is say he is flattered.

I thought Yogi practically asked for the United job in his interview post match yesterday.  You've got to feel for ICT, mangerial success seems to evaporate over and over.

Edited by Smarmy Arab

If he does go (I really hope he doesn't) I think Callum will be offered the job in the first instance. Good chance we'll see Cleland bumped up to assistant and one of the first team squad given a joint player/coaching role. Maclean might be the man for that.

If Tommy goes anywhere, the smart money is obviously on Callum moving up to become manager - whether he's ready or not is another question for another thread I guess. But if all this chatter does turn out to be true and Wright ends up at Dundee United, could you see (former Arab) Cleland moving on with him as assistant?

If Tommy goes anywhere, the smart money is obviously on Callum moving up to become manager - whether he's ready or not is another question for another thread I guess. But if all this chatter does turn out to be true and Wright ends up at Dundee United, could you see (former Arab) Cleland moving on with him as assistant?

That's a good point actually Cleland has applied for  - and been very close to - lower league managerial jobs. It would certainly represent a step up for him and would give Tommy someone he can trust as his assistant. Callum has said a few times that he fancies a shot as manager here when Tommy leaves - I think he will stick around for a wee while in the hope that will happen.