Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

This could be a intriguing discussion between SB and ST, The two family's are long standing friends away from their respected clubs and will have probably had discussions on this type of situation before not necessary about dealing with each other but as onlookers at other situations, This may well have showed their hands on how they will negotiate their corner, still think it will depend on TW, SB should by now know what TW is thinking about the United situation, also having went through it before with Lomas who was desperate  to move on at the first chance available and also Saints were reasonably happy for him to move on and get a bit of compensation as well, SB I believe is in a strong negotiating position this time especially if he knows TW is not making noises about jumping ship and would resign to get his wishes of the move through. If there is no pre agreed compensation in the contract already then SB will be asking for a Huge compensation fee, I would imagine as he will have an Idea what ST would go to. Another thought I have kicking around is the Part SB/ Saints played in the Jackie sacking making a office available right away and allowing such a decision to be played out so openly on their premises, SB must have know that if Jackie Boy was getting punted TW would be in the running so why make things look so amiable between the clubs, or has he used it already to remind  TW what type of a club and Chairman that is to work for? All will unfold in the next few days I presume.                   

Another thought I have kicking around is the Part SB/ Saints played in the Jackie sacking making a office available right away and allowing such a decision to be played out so openly on their premises, SB must have know that if Jackie Boy was getting punted TW would be in the running so why make things look so amiable between the clubs, or has he used it already to remind  TW what type of a club and Chairman that is to work for? All will unfold in the next few days I presume.                   

Doubt it was that premeditated. If Saints had lost against United and lost again on Sat, we'd be struggling in the relegation area. I don't think Wright would have been acceptable to United fans then. The raging momentum behind Wright has really come because of three good results in a row. 

Doubt it was that premeditated. If Saints had lost against United and lost again on Sat, we'd be struggling in the relegation area. I don't think Wright would have been acceptable to United fans then. The raging momentum behind Wright has really come because of three good results in a row. 

and yet for the vast majority of last season we were playing badly and were poor to watch, very poor. We lost games we could've done better in if we actually played.

this season we had a few injuries but have now started to play very well. But this has taken time to build up to.

dont see united with the potential we have comparing squads right now. Who knows what could happen though.

Does not seem long ago that TW said he wanted to stay with Saints "Long Term" .!  maybe long term is how long is a piece of string nowadays.!? Steve Brown gave him his chance to be an Scottish top flight manager. No doubt he is thankful for that opportunity,and it has worked out for everyone so far.! Long may it continue.! When he goes I sincerely hope it is an ambitious move and not to a team that treat their staff with utter contempt and sack them at the ground of a local rival.! 

Well Mr.Brown have you got a pair ? Politely decline and move on....If on the other hand TW wants to go there ( not sure about that ) then its up to SB to screw Utd for the max.

Please stay TW and keep the progression going.Who knows SB might even give you a rise ?

Well done Steve Brown, if you stick to that line then you have indeed rocketed up in my estimation.

However, there is always the 'vote of confidence' niggle.  Was it Friday that Brenda Rodgers said 'he is under no pressure re. his position'

But somehow I still feel that things are different with Saints.  If there was any question of TW going to DU, then there is no way on earth SB would have made this statement IMO.

Well done The Chairman and what a legend/hero that Mr Thomas Wright is turning in to. If somebody asked me.... Willie Ormond or Tommy Wright, I would refuse to answer and just melt inside that we have been lucky enough to have been managed by two such admired people. I hope we can pay TW back by getting a few extra through the turnstiles. Feck we are presently only three points away from third spot.    

I dont think this statement tells us anything of importance. If Steve Brown said *anything* that could be construed as suggesting that Tommy might be leaving (however that might come about) it would put the club at serious risk of being seen to breach TW's employment contract. Employers cant go around undermining their employees when there is a contract in place or it could be seen as constructive dismissal. All a club can do is reiterate the terms of that contract ie he is here until 2017. It may well be the case that TW has no plans to move on or it may be that he is tempted to consider a move but there is nothing in SB's statement that reassures me either way.

I dont think this statement tells us anything of importance. If Steve Brown said *anything* that could be construed as suggesting that Tommy might be leaving (however that might come about) it would put the club at serious risk of being seen to breach TW's employment contract. Employers cant go around undermining their employees when there is a contract in place or it could be seen as constructive dismissal. All a club can do is reiterate the terms of that contract ie he is here until 2017. It may well be the case that TW has no plans to move on or it may be that he is tempted to consider a move but there is nothing in SB's statement that reassures me either way.

Pessimist :wink:

True, but given that he clearly knows he has been criticised by fans over the last few years, why would he say anything at all if he were open to doing the opposite?  Surely silence would be the best policy for him if there were the faintest chance of him letting DU speak to TW

Does not seem long ago that TW said he wanted to stay with Saints "Long Term" .!  maybe long term is how long is a piece of string nowadays.!? Steve Brown gave him his chance to be an Scottish top flight manager. No doubt he is thankful for that opportunity,and it has worked out for everyone so far.! Long may it continue.! When he goes I sincerely hope it is an ambitious move and not to a team that treat their staff with utter contempt and sack them at the ground of a local rival.! 

I also remember stevie may saying the same thing

True, but given that he clearly knows he has been criticised by fans over the last few years, why would he say anything at all if he were open to doing the opposite?  Surely silence would be the best policy for him if there were the faintest chance of him letting DU speak to TW

I suspect that SB is just trying to put himself in a win-win situation. If TW moves on to DUtd it will be because TW wants to go and SB can hold his hands up and say that he did everything possible to keep TW. It also puts Saints in a stronger position because they haven't been pushing TW towards the door - any compensation due would, I hope, be greater than if they had indicated that they were 'willing sellers'.

FWIW, I would love TW to stay but I also appreciate that all good things come to an end. I have lost faith in loyalty, logic or common sense being key factors in football decision making (when it comes to management issues) - it is nearly all about money nowadays and despite all the 'insider knowledge' claimed on here, I don't think we have a realistic impression of what TW earns or what the bonus structure is like. Most of the speculation is miles off the mark - remember Saints only turnover, I believe, in the region of £4million a year (might be a bit more than that but even so, not that much in the scheme of things). Despite recent successes, money hasn't been flooding into the club so while I would be disappointed if TW moved on, the realities are that he is a saleable asset to Saints, like any player.