Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

----------------

did he not say the same about Sir Stevie May ....side note.....May to United if Wright goes there... Manus too in Jan????

for me this is all a case of "the kind is dead....long live the king" - when he goes, we'll do as we always have...and produce another top manager. Hail the Broons for that

May and Mannus to United if they get Tommy?  Where would they get the money for this?

None of those 3 will be going to Tannadice.

Dundee United are in a mess but Wright might look at Aberdeen under McInnes and think he could do that at Tannadice, reaching a level that Saints are very unlikely to get to. Add in the personal financial reward and the idea of moving must've crossed his mind.

I still would find it difficult to forgive him though!

Would the extra money be worth the hassle! United have proved that they are a selling club, even more so than Saints! Really can't see it. Not naive enough to think we will hold on to Tommy forever but he didn't move with Lomas and I am sure he would have increased his wage big time? 

To be fair, every single club in this league is a selling club. Even Celtic. It's just been highlighted more at United recently because they've actually successfully developed a number of talents in a short space of time that are ready to take the next step up and have attracted attention, unlike the rest of us. It's more circumstance and timing than greed or desperation to sell all their players imo. If we were receiving similar offers for our squad then there's no way we'd turn them down.

Edited by Kevin James Is On Stilts

To be fair, every single club in this league is a selling club. Even Celtic. It's just been highlighted more at United recently because they've actually successfully developed a number of talents in a short space of time that are ready to take the next step up and have attracted attention, unlike the rest of us.

Partly that, but remember that United also had to shift £6m-odd of debt, which forced their hand in a way that hasn't applied to Saints for 30 years. 

That said, United have managed to get very good prices for their players.

Partly that, but remember that United also had to shift £6m-odd of debt, which forced their hand in a way that hasn't applied to Saints for 30 years. 

That said, United have managed to get very good prices for their players.

Absolutely, and I'm sure that played a factor in the sales. Regardless of debt levels though, I don't think there are many clubs that would be comfortable enough to turn down £2million offers. Like you say though, still some very good pieces of business.

It's interesting to see how the opinion and perception changes depending on which club we talk about. Hamilton for example, receive loads of praise for producing and then profiting on youth guys like McCarthy and McArthur, whereas the Arabs do it and they receive negative 'selling club' type comments.

Absolutely, and I'm sure that played a factor in the sales. Regardless of debt levels though, I don't think there are many clubs that would be comfortable enough to turn down £2million offers. Like you say though, still some very good pieces of business.
It's interesting to see how the opinion and perception changes depending on which club we talk about. Hamilton for example, receive loads of praise for producing and then profiting on youth guys like McCarthy and McArthur, whereas the Arabs do it and they receive negative 'selling club' type comments.

But United are a BIG CLUB so shouldn't need to keep selling their players just to balance the books, where as Hamilton are a wee club who have tended to sell 1 player at a time and not rip the heart out of the club and expect to carry on as normal.

There are no BIG CLUBS in Scotland any more in my opinion.  This is exactly why I love being a Saints fan.  Even Celtic are forced to sell their best assets to keep moving.  They aren't good enough to compete in the champions league any more, so the huge financial rewards have dried up.  

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of clubs' finances compared to say 10 years ago, because it seems to me that the gap between big and small clubs has reduced significantly.  Maybe I'm wrong, but to me the reason Saints have done so well since the demise of The The and Hertz is because other clubs have come back towards us, and we've continued doing what we have been doing since the late 80s.

There are no BIG CLUBS in Scotland any more in my opinion.  This is exactly why I love being a Saints fan.  Even Celtic are forced to sell their best assets to keep moving.  They aren't good enough to compete in the champions league any more, so the huge financial rewards have dried up.  

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of clubs' finances compared to say 10 years ago, because it seems to me that the gap between big and small clubs has reduced significantly.  Maybe I'm wrong, but to me the reason Saints have done so well since the demise of The The and Hertz is because other clubs have come back towards us, and we've continued doing what we have been doing since the late 80s.

Saints have pretty much been fairly steady financially for the past 20 years. Ups and downs, but from memory we've operating in the £3m to £5m turnover area. I'd imagine clubs like United and Aberdeen have been harder hit.

But United are a BIG CLUB so shouldn't need to keep selling their players just to balance the books, where as Hamilton are a wee club who have tended to sell 1 player at a time and not rip the heart out of the club and expect to carry on as normal.

I doubt that United would be turning down offers of £2 or £3 million whether they are a "BIG CLUB" and need the money or not. No club in the country apart from Celtic would be in a position to do that.

Your point about shipping them all in a short space of time is fair enough though, although I guess these opportunities have to be taken when they arise. Do you risk losing out on a multi-million pound transfer fee just because you sold another player recently? I don't care enough about United to have knowledge of how (or if) these fees have been re-invested, and I guess that's something that any new manager would need to take note of carefully, you don't want to work somewhere with the rug being pulled from your feet every 6 months.

I have no idea of the figures, but I suspect Tommy is waiting for SB to match the offer made by DUFC, which he is entitled to do. How would you respond if someone offered to increase your salary by say...........40%?  Put aside your fandom here, at the end of the day most players, managers and coaches are professionals, not fans.

I have no idea of the figures, but I suspect Tommy is waiting for SB to match the offer made by DUFC, which he is entitled to do. How would you respond if someone offered to increase your salary by say...........40%?  Put aside your fandom here, at the end of the day most players, managers and coaches are professionals, not fans.

The offer by Dundee United? what offer are you owning up to making an illegal approach?

There's no offer on the the table from Dundee United as the club haven't given them permission to speak to our manager.

I'd also say it's not necessarily a given that people will always move for more money. There are other factors that come into play too, such as job security and happiness.

The offer by Dundee United? what offer are you owning up to making an illegal approach?

'I' have made no approach ;)....but I 'suspect' ST will be offering a more lucrative deal, TW will 'suspect' the same.  There was a discussion on this thread earlier about the earnings of TW and JM, although the posters could not agree, I have a feeling they are both right.  JM's basic, higher than TW's, with bonuses considerably higher..........TW and his agent will be aware of the margin of difference.  If SB wants him to stay, either pony up a revised contract, or maybe lengthen the current deal.  This might explain why TW has been identified as DU top target for 72 hrs without a flat denial of a move from the man himself.  As I say he is entitled to take advantage of the rise in his stock, it is a short career and fans are so fickle he would be foolish not to!

There's no offer on the the table from Dundee United as the club haven't given them permission to speak to our manager.

I'd also say it's not necessarily a given that people will always move for more money. There are other factors that come into play too, such as job security and happiness.

Absolutely BH, money is not everything.....but it is something that my not be on offer this time next week, far less next season!

I don't think ST's sacking of JMac at McDiarmid Park in such an abrupt and disrespectful manner will have done him any favours with TW. 

TW has earned the right to some job security in Perth. It would take relegation for his position to come under threat and as it stands, I see us finishing 3rd or 4th as we have a team with several years experience of successfully managing the end of season run in. Our early season leaky defence has righted itself and we're scoring goals. I expect County and The Fun to fall away at some point. Hearts have realised that the difference is huge between the two leagues and the pre season talk of a title challenge was utter drivel. I expect them to challenge us for 3rd/4th.

Edited by Pat McGroin