Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

At the end of the day if he goes to Utd and cant turn it around and gets relegated he'll be sacked.we've just seen rangers hibs and hearts relegated so no one is exempt. The chances of him getting sacked at Saints are very slim indeed. Utd is too much of a sideways move. He would be daft to go and I say that as someone who will be happy for him should a proper big club come in for him at another stage in his saints career as hes a top manager who deserves be managing at a higher level

Edited by belfastsaintee

Regarding his new contract and terms I presume.

I am sure it is all part of the game being played out.  TW is a wanted man by Utd; SJFC now need to show their hand to his agent to say how much more they are willing to pay to keep him here.  Meanwhile agent speaks to Utd to see what their terms would be and/or match TW expectations and he will then use this as a bargaining tool.  Remember TW has not ruled himself out of the Utd job.

If this was me, you or anyone else would you not exploit this opportunity? 

Tommy can't speak to united without Saints permission. If that has happened, Saints could conceivably complain the the SFA. I'm sure it won't come to that though. If Tommy is unreasonable/Saints don't cough up the amount he's after, Saints may well then talk compensation with United. 

I think he'll sign a new contract.  I just can't see him going to United personally. 

IIf this was me, you or anyone else would you not exploit this opportunity? 

Only up to a point. There's a fine line between making the most of that brief flare of demand and creating bad feeling by exploiting either side. Tommy's got a bit to lose in this too.

And besides, I'm sure Steve Brown will ensure that any salary increase comes straight out of next years' players budget.

I am sure it is all part of the game being played out.  TW is a wanted man by Utd; SJFC now need to show their hand to his agent to say how much more they are willing to pay to keep him here.  Meanwhile agent speaks to Utd to see what their terms would be and/or match TW expectations and he will then use this as a bargaining tool.  Remember TW has not ruled himself out of the Utd job.

If this was me, you or anyone else would you not exploit this opportunity? 

As you say Tommy has not ruled himself out, nor has he stated since the news broke, that he will definitely stay, tho' he did say a while ago that he would be happy to be at Saints for the next ten years. 

Times and circumstances change of course and so can opinions. 

Personally I think it would be folly for him to leave Saints for United or any other Scottish team at this time.

Me, I think he will be at Saints for the foreseeable future 

Geoff Brown warns his son that Saints will be powerless to stop Tommy joining United if he wants to .Stating the obvious there.

Typical Daily Fail interpretation, here's the full interview: -

Dundee United would not be a good move for Tommy Wright - claims Geoff Brown

Geoff Brown lost a manager to Dundee United.

But the St Johnstone owner is confident his son Steve won’t find himself in the same boat.

The Tannadice club used past loyalties to lure Paul Sturrock from McDiarmid Park back in 1998.

And now United chairman Stephen Thompson has targeted current boss Tommy Wright to succeed axed Jackie McNamara.

Perth chief Steve Brown has made it clear he’s not interested in United’s carrot of compensation, insisting any offer to open talks with his manager will be “flatly refused.”

And discussions will continue over the international break to extend the Ulsterman’s McDiarmid contract, which has 18 months left to run.

Assessing son Steve’s no-nonsense move to see off unwanted interest from their Tayside neighbours, past chairman Brown has given it the stamp of approval, noting: “It looks like he is a chip off the old block.

“I said I was standing back and leaving it to the next generation four years ago and I have stuck by that. But I am still a fan and take an interest in what is going on.

“I had a great day up in Aberdeen at the weekend when we beat the league leaders 5-1.”

Brown senior cautioned: “If Tommy goes to Steve and says the United job appeals to him, St Johnstone really can’t keep hold of him. The club won’t have an option.

“But we are hoping Tommy sees his future at a club bigger than Dundee United.

“St Johnstone accept we are a stepping stone when a manager does well. That was the case long before my time. We saw Bobby Brown and Willie Ormond move on to the Scotland job.

“And Owen Coyle, Derek McInnes and Steve Lomas have all headed for the Championship after having an impact here.

“Tommy Wright is doing very well with St Johnstone. We are in the quarter final of the League Cup against Morton so I’d like to think we have a good chance of going further.

“We are coming off the back of wins against Rangers, Dundee United and Aberdeen. You’d have got good odds on that.

“We also won the Scottish Cup under Tommy so I can understand why he is attracting interest.

“But I genuinely don’t believe Dundee United would be a good move for him.

“In my opinion, his next move should be to the English Championship, where there is a lot more money and maybe even more security.

“Tommy seems to be able to get the best out of the players and they like him. It takes time to gain that sort of respect.

“But the most important relationship at any club is the one between the chairman and the manager. At the present time Tommy has got an excellent relationship with his chairman.

“It is a good relationship in the sense it isn’t ‘yes sir, no sir’ on the part of either man. Of course there will be good days and bad days but that is the making of any relationship.

“I had different relationships with various managers and I haven’t had enough lengthy one on one football chats with Tommy to know if he is similar to guys like Paul Sturrock, Owen Coyle or Derek McInnes.

“But Tommy would have to ask himself if it would be the same at Dundee United. In my opinion the answer would be no.

“Football management is a relatively short career but really no different from any other line of work.

“Money has to be a consideration but if a fan had an offer to move from one company to another which they weren’t sure about –and there was the potential for a bigger job if they waited – they would take that into consideration.”