Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

Mannus and Main are/were great keepers in different aspects of the game one would beat the other but overall Mannus is better he also has a better defence in front of him in my view.

Seriously? You rate Scobbie higher than Griffin? Anderson better than Kernaghan? I'd put McQuillan above Shaughnessy too probably. I might give Easton the nod over Bollan, but it would be close.

Nonsense. We had far better players in the late nineties - O'Boyle, Griffin, O'Neil, Dasovic, Main among others. It was a quality side, peppered with internationalists and international squad members up against far better teams.

It's unarguable that today's team has achieved a lot more, but you have to acknowledge wider circumstances, including the overall decline in quality of bigger clubs, that puts us in a far stronger position today.

We also had more money then to afford them . Its changed days now

Seriously? You rate Scobbie higher than Griffin? Anderson better than Kernaghan? I'd put McQuillan above Shaughnessy too probably. I might give Easton the nod over Bollan, but it would be close.

I was talking about the defence as a whole unit,  but yes I would take Anderson over Kernaghan who I admit was a excellent player but was entering his twilight years of his career when at Perth. Griffin was another undoubted talent who in my opinion never reached the height's his talent deserved. Shaughnessy is better player now than Mcquillan ever was and is still learning.

We also had more money then to afford them . Its changed days now

Yes I know. I'm not disputing that, or that we're a relatively better side now. What I can't let go unchallenged is the bald statement that 'the only way that the 90's squad trumps this one is in the nostalgia stakes'. It's fanciful.

Yes I know. I'm not disputing that, or that we're a relatively better side now. What I can't let go unchallenged is the bald statement that 'the only way that the 90's squad trumps this one is in the nostalgia stakes'. It's fanciful.

I never take one squad of players from an era over another. Its in the past so it is nostalgia .

Mackay over McQuillan for me. 

If we're going to be fair and consider Dods and Kernaghan (personally I think including Dods over Weir is doing Weir a disservice) as the partnership, we're covering quite a timespan, surely we have to use Wright and Ando as this team's CB pairing. 

Our defensive record with that pair in the team in will never be beaten and over such a long period of time. 

The Saints team from about 1997 to 1999 remains the best Saints team I've ever seen. Main, Kernaghan, O'Neil and Dasovic were a class apart from anything I've seen since, and guys like McQuillan, O'Boyle, Preston, Kane, Sekerlioglu and Jenkinson were also fantastic players who would mostly get into our current team.

No denying that the current side's achievements have been superior and also lasted longer, though. A big part of that is probably because Wright is a better manager than either Sturrock or Clark.

No denying that the current side's achievements have been superior and also lasted longer, though. A big part of that is probably because Wright is a better manager than either Sturrock or Clark.

My thoughts exactly. It makes comparisons difficult but very much fun for true saints fans through the decades.         

I was talking about the defence as a whole unit,  but yes I would take Anderson over Kernaghan who I admit was a excellent player but was entering his twilight years of his career when at Perth. Griffin was another undoubted talent who in my opinion never reached the height's his talent deserved. Shaughnessy is better player now than Mcquillan ever was and is still learning.

Sorry mate but Joe isn't a better player than John. McQuillan didn't have as good a throw but was 10 times the defender that Joe is.

The Saints team from about 1997 to 1999 remains the best Saints team I've ever seen. Main, Kernaghan, O'Neil and Dasovic were a class apart from anything I've seen since, and guys like McQuillan, O'Boyle, Preston, Kane, Sekerlioglu and Jenkinson were also fantastic players who would mostly get into our current team.

I agree that team were beautiful. Probably from 96 til 99 in my eyes.

Still have more love for the current side, and think that as a whole they are a better 'team'.

• 2 weeks later...

I generally can't stand the guy, but Mark Lawrenson said this about Ireland's great result tonight. For me it's exactly what Tommy has brought to Saints:

"The secret of being a top manager is that you get a little bit extra from every player and that's what Martin O'Neill does. It's a fantastic achievement.

I generally can't stand the guy, but Mark Lawrenson said this about Ireland's great result tonight. For me it's exactly what Tommy has brought to Saints:

"The secret of being a top manager is that you get a little bit extra from every player and that's what Martin O'Neill does. It's a fantastic achievement.

On a thread about "Tommy Wright" it's to your credit that You have managed to bring this back to the original post.

WTF this player is better than that player of years gone by, or this team is better than a previous team, has got to do with Tommy Wright is a load of shite.

There are other threads that compare teams/players of different eras that can be used for this.

Ok the forum is open to folk to give their differing opinions and long may it continue, but it is incredible how folk can go so far off track.

Thank you Monty.

On a thread about "Tommy Wright" it's to your credit that You have managed to bring this back to the original post.

WTF this player is better than that player of years gone by, or this team is better than a previous team, has got to do with Tommy Wright is a load of shite.

There are other threads that compare teams/players of different eras that can be used for this.

Ok the forum is open to folk to give their differing opinions and long may it continue, but it is incredible how folk can go so far off track.

Thank you Monty.

2ad9245d7cafd0b51b177943021e1e116352b105

What a ridiculous statement :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thank you Monty.

this isn't a thread for expressing gratitude to other posters :evil:

Here's a Tommy Wright story which made me smile?! An ex colleague who supports the 'forces of darkness' took great glee in telling me that Tommy Wright 'is one of us' Said colleague had been in the Loft a few weeks back & Mr Wright had been under the influence and was singing The Sash!?! Kinda took the wind out of his sails when I told him he could sing whatever he wanted he was a 'Saint' in my eyes!?! Didn't want to puncture his obvious satisfaction by telling him that our Mr Wright never looks more ecstatic than when he is beating TFOD!?! Keep the good work up Tommy I say?!?! 

Tommy is a The Rangers man. We were at corporate one game and one guy was wearing a Rangers tie (was under his jersey so you could only see the knot) and Tommy clocked it and mentioned it when he was giving his pre match spiel.

I couldn't have even guessed that it was a Rangers tie. 

Not suggesting that he was singing the sash by the way