Tommy Wright

50yrs a Saint

There is no doubt that Lomas had many good qualities, but he also had many bad ones. He was also not that nice a person (I found). He wasn't evil or anything like that, just a bit of a whinging sod :)

The difference with Tommy is that he seems a really genuine, likeable guy, and his qualities far outweigh his faults

The bottom line is..................................

There is only one manager (so far) that has led us to a National Cup Victory.

(For clarity the challenge cup is not being counted, although that is something even the the the and Tic have not won but Saints have).

So Mr Lomas perhaps Mr Wright was and is superior in management than you are.

You could talk about it all day and come to different conclusions. There is no doubt that Lomas did very well for us and signed some great players. Tommy did superbly well to keep and build on that squad and get us our first ever national trophy.

Lomas may have said some stupid things but he did a cracking job at Saints. Tommy Wright has done better than any manager, does that make him any better than those gone before? That depends on your perception of what makes a great manager.

Never met the guy, but his interviews were just like so many generic managers - whingey and full if negativity. Maybe he was different away from the cameras though, so it's not a fair way to judge.

Tommy is the best manager we've had at dealing with the media.

Sometimes I wonder what it's like from the other side of the camera. Football clubs are, by their nature, quite insular. Everyone in the team and management and club knows what's going on, and everyone outwith doesn't. The media is our window into that, and to understand that interface between fans and club is very difficult in my opinion.

You aren't talking to a camera, you are talking to thousands of people who are trying to glean more than you can or want to tell them.

Lomas was shit at it.

Doesn't mean he wasn't a good manager.

What's the criteria for what we are basing Lomas as a "manager" on?

Is it purely results on the pitch if it is then he's a great manager.

Is it ermmm ehhh off field antics, well he was great at those too but not in a good way.

I would rather have a less successful manager anyday over a complete arse, just so happens we have a really decent bloke and a great on the field manager rolled into one.

Well he's decent this now unless things go wrong, then i may change my mind (football fans prerogative) 

You could talk about it all day and come to different conclusions. There is no doubt that Lomas did very well for us and signed some great players. Tommy did superbly well to keep and build on that squad and get us our first ever national trophy.

Lomas may have said some stupid things but he did a cracking job at Saints. Tommy Wright has done better than any manager, does that make him any better than those gone before? That depends on your perception of what makes a great manager.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with this by the way, my statements wasn't about his talent as a manager and bringing Tommy in etc, purely the timing of his message and where he is with his career right now. His lack of any communication with Tommy or Saints after he left, no good luck message, then this after we win, questioned his sincerity to me thats all. I hope I'm wrong though.

Steve Lomas wanted St Johnstone to do well so Steve Lomas looked good. He would have released or put May out on loan again. He wanted proven journeymen that would get results.

Tommy Wright wants St Johnstone to do well and work with the chairman on his vision of the way forward for St Johnstone.

Tommy Wright won't whore himself around for his next payday, or stepping stone.

Tommy Wright brought May back, played him and trusted him.

Expect more Academy players to break through, to be sold on when the time and money is right.

I don't hate Lomas, but he was interested in being here short term, and selfish. Wright likes it here, and wants to stay here. That alone makes him better in my book

Steve Lomas wanted St Johnstone to do well so Steve Lomas looked good. He would have released or put May out on loan again. He wanted proven journeymen that would get results.

Tommy Wright wants St Johnstone to do well and work with the chairman on his vision of the way forward for St Johnstone.

Tommy Wright won't whore himself around for his next payday, or stepping stone.

Tommy Wright brought May back, played him and trusted him.

Expect more Academy players to break through, to be sold on when the time and money is right.

I don't hate Lomas, but he was interested in being here short term, and selfish. Wright likes it here, and wants to stay here. That alone makes him better in my book

BEST BY FAR STJOHNSTONE MANAGER>.....

WHY BECAUSE IF IT WASNT FOR HIM THERED BE NO TOMMY WRIGHT AND I BELIEVE IF HE STAYED WE MAY HAVE WON THE CUP ALSO>>>

I still have mixed views of Lomas.

On the plus side: the team did very well, he created a good side, he bought in TW, he showed enthusiasm and support for his players.

On the negative side: His public support of Rangers during their downfall stank and p!ssed off many Saiints supporters, his attitude to playing in Europe stank before the Turkey trip, his public statements about budgets stank, his continuing comments about over-achieving and talking down the teams potential stank, and none of us were left in any doubt that his first priority was Steve Lomas and moving back south.  He just didn't get the way that the club works or understand those who supported the club.  He didn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

Moving to Millwall just showed that he leaned nothing about understanding supporters.  There was no way that an ex-West Ham man would win over that bunch.

TW is enthusiastic about Europe,  knows no limits on what can be achieved, knows how the club works and embraces it, keeps supporters on his side, puts the club first, doesn't drool over Sevco, and his team does even better.

Steve Lomas - Watch and learn.

I got round to watching the entire cup coverage on the BBC iplayer before it disappeared and heard the comments about Lomas (no doubt already mentioned on the forum) beginning to 'lose the dressing room' , and also that May would not be in the team if he was still the manager as he just didn't rate him.

A stark contrast to TW in both respects.

I would like to know what Lomas now thinks of Stevie May.

I got round to watching the entire cup coverage on the BBC iplayer before it disappeared and heard the comments about Lomas (no doubt already mentioned on the forum) beginning to 'lose the dressing room' , and also that May would not be in the team if he was still the manager as he just didn't rate him.

A stark contrast to TW in both respects.

I would like to know what Lomas now thinks of Stevie May.

I'd guess he'd say "Who the **** is Stevie May?" :lol: