The Greatest Saints Team Of All Time

belfastsaintee

Silverware, 3 consecutive European trips.

This generation is up there. Regardless of anything else, they've achieved what no other Saints team has ever done.

I'm with this.  Someone will always say 'it was better in the old days' but there wasn't the same gulf in resources between the big teams and the wee teams back then.  Given where the modern game is, the achievements of the Saints teams of the last three seasons has been nothing short of miraculous, except for the lack of silverware.  Now that's changed, I think it's reasonable to put this era of Saints firmly at the top of the list of greats.

What amazes me is that I believe we can do even better next season, with most of this great squad already committed to staying.

I think that there is still an argument for the team of the Maskrey / Roddie era to be considered the best. The standard of player in the SFL was arguably better then......particularly at the Old Firm.

Remember, not belittling our recent achievements, the orange side of the OF haven't been the force they were (and have been absent for a couple of seasons), either have Heart and Hibs and it is only this season Aberdeen have stepped up again

But, the game has also changed and players almost need a different skill set.....much more tactical these days, with players having to be able to focus on a role as well as play well

Very difficult to compare

liam craig wanted to leave for better things hope hibs go down

come on the accies

Harsh imo......Liam made the move for financial reasons at a particular stage in his career...it was much a decision based on future financial security for his family than anything to do with Hibs being a 'better' team

Would I rather have Hibs or Hamilton in the league next year? Hibs by a mile.....Hamilton are boring

I think that there is still an argument for the team of the Maskrey / Roddie era to be considered the best. The standard of player in the SFL was arguably better then......particularly at the Old Firm.

Remember, not belittling our recent achievements, the orange side of the OF haven't been the force they were (and have been absent for a couple of seasons), either have Heart and Hibs and it is only this season Aberdeen have stepped up again

But, the game has also changed and players almost need a different skill set.....much more tactical these days, with players having to be able to focus on a role as well as play well

Very difficult to compare

Agree

Until 4:45pm yesterday.  Changed everything.

Massive congratulations to all my Perth friends. As explained before, because of my Perth connections & being a diehard Don Saints have always been my second team. Can't believe how much I enjoyed yesterday and tbh I was very emotional, it was that sort of day. I was at Hampden in 1969 & regularly watched that side for around 5 years and they were great. Difficult to compare but a trophy winning side have to be considered Numero uno. This team have what it takes to make it to the level of WINNERS, self belief, calm, composed, work rate, team spirit and a tactically bright manager. I agree with "Montrose" in that this may just be the start. I also, think that this side can achieve even more. Nobody will look forward to playing them. I did say as much on here after the L.C. Semi.

Must hae been some day in The Fair City today, hope that the big parade went well.

Don't want to intrude further as this is your time REAL Saintees. I hope the support can come out like old times, next season on the back of this great victory and cheer on Perth St Johnstone F.C. Scottish Cup Winners 2014.

Well done & awra best.

The greatest team is the team that achieves the greatest success. Yes you cannot compeer teams from different eras as the circumstances cannot be replicated. I recall Celtic fans discussing which was the greatest Celtic team the Lisbon Lions or Martin O'Neil s Seville Bhoys. They agreed it was the Lisbon Lions as they won the European Cup. Therefore I believe this is the greatest ever Saints team and will be until another has greater success.