The Geoff Brown Stand

18SJFC84

I wouldnt name a stand after him, we live in a time where grounds and stands seem to change names on a toss of a coin and I don t think it would have any impact at all. 

Whatever the club announced it was renaming the Main stand I think the majority of people would just carry on calling it the main stand.

I would like to see a statue put up at some point though, doesnt have to be something huge but a small statue somewhere near the main entrance would be very fitting.

Its a shame that these things do seem to happen when the person is no longer with us though.

and make Geoff Brown a Freeman of Perth, as well.

This is something we can really agitate for. Write to your local councillor.

It's more difficult to work on the stand as you're asking a man to name something after his dad, which is a bit mor awkward. Freeman of Perth on the other hand, we can all put pressure on our elected representatives.

He would join a fairly impressive list - including Garibaldi!

http://www.alternative-perth.co.uk/freemen.htm

Edited by biffer

Whatever happens it should be done with real thought, we are all 'fuzzy' in the aftermath of our Scottish cup win. I may be wrong but I seem to remember when the Ormond stand was named, and the word on the street was the Ormond family hadn't even been told. They only found out when a journalist asked how they felt.

Personally I think it is right and fitting that Geoff get that accolade, anyone can see that he and his family are Saintees through & through. I never see the point of recognising someone's achievements when they are not there to appreciate the recognition.

Given that Willie Ormond has a stand named after him, and Tommy Wright has now surpassed his achievement, there is an argument he should have a stand too.

I'm all in favour of Geoff being honoured, big time, I'm just not sure naming a stand is quite right.  I'm really not that keen on grounds with all sorts of different names of stands, but that's just a personal opinion.  Statues are way too cheesy.

Freeman of Perth - definitely.

It's more difficult to work on the stand as you're asking a man to name something after his dad, which is a bit mor awkward. Freeman of Perth on the other hand, we can all put pressure on our elected representatives.

Fully in favour of the freedom of Perth, and a stand for that matter though it is a more complex issue, but intrigued as to how in a list that includes Gladstone and Churchill you picked out Garibaldi?! No issue with Garibaldi, just rank Churchill much higher!

Fully in favour of the freedom of Perth, and a stand for that matter though it is a more complex issue, but intrigued as to how in a list that includes Gladstone and Churchill you picked out Garibaldi?! No issue with Garibaldi, just rank Churchill much higher!

Churchill is a UK Prime Minister, as are several others on the list. Just seemed a little odd to have a 19th century Italian revolutionary in amongst all the MPs.

Churchill is a UK Prime Minister, as are several others on the list. Just seemed a little odd to have a 19th century Italian revolutionary in amongst all the MPs.

Aye, that's fair. I'm certainly intrigued by how he appeared on it. Maybe the council at the time had strong Italian connections or were closet revolutionaries.

Geoff Brown completely deserves this. Not just because of the Scottish Cup, but because of everything else that has lead up to that point over the past 28 years. I can think of no other individual, in football or any other field, who has done so much with so little recognition. I don't think he would ever be crass enough to implement it himself, so it is up to the fans to make it happen.

Incidentally - May 17th should also be made a local Perth holiday from now on.

Certainly feel Geoff deserves to be honoured. Think he would appreciate it more from the fans (he is after all one of us) rather than from the halfwits at the council. The Council never seemed to help the Club when help was needed and you only ever hear from them when things are good. (and the Good Times never felt so good)!!!!!

Interesting interview in one of the papers with GB who told the reporter that apart from his initial investment to take the club HE had never put a penny into the club -but that it had all been done through shrewd business sense.

A good few media persons kept saying that they had invested so much into the club. They kept forgetting that it was a lot of effort, time and business sense and not money.

Ach, he was only a Free B******!  :wink:

He did make exceedingly good biscuits, or was that someone else? :razz: