Season 2014/15 - What Can We Expect / Dream Of?

Edstar101

After the highs of this season, what realistically are our targets for next season that can surpass the achievements of this?

Do we dream of back to back cup victories?

Do we want to put in a serious challenge for top 3 in the SPFL?

Do we dream of favourable draws that maybe, just maybe, get us as far as the group stage of the Europa?

Or, will we suffer a hangover from the exertions & success of this season and find that we have a decidedly mediocre season next year?

For me.....a comfortable league position again and a good go on the three cup fronts would be just great ^_^

Been thinking about this myself. The only way Saints can top this season is if they qualify for the Europa League group stages, which is a big aim, especially as it is only a few months away. However, if they do not we should not automatically assume the season is a failure.

Top 6 and three good runs in the cups would ordinarily be considered a great season for Saints and that shouldn't be any different for us, regardless of whether we just won the cup or not.

May 17th 2014 wont mean any less to me or be cheapened as a success in any way if next season is 'only' top 6 and good cup runs. Anything over and above that would be a bonus and would be appreciated as a bonus.

I would choose Europa League group stages as the top aim, with a Top 6/League Cup win as the back up season aim, you know, to complete the collection!

I'm always criticised for being too optimistic at these times, but I have been most impressed with the way Tommy Wright has learned from his failures through the season.  It took him 90 minutes to suss out Dundee Utd for example, and they never looked like beating us ever since.  I think the FC Minsk game will have taught him an important lesson about how to win at all costs, and I think we'll enter the Europa League with a different approach to the home games in particular this year.  

If I were to see a big target for next season it would be to have a genuine crack at making the Europa League group stages.  That would be reward indeed for the efforts of this season.

Cup runs are cup runs - we always give 100% in them, so to 'prepare' for another shot at the cups is futile - it's just part of the season, and it took 130 years to fall into place.  If it happens again, great, if it doesn't, it won't be because we weren't ambitious enough.

The only slight disappointment this year was losing so much ground on Aberdeen and Motherwell.  A strange league season where the gulf between the top 6 and the bottom 6 was much greater than normal, but we still lost our fair share of games to the bottom 6 clubs, which is why we were 6th and not 4th in my opinion.  I don't have stats handy, but I'd wager that of the top 6, we did worst against the bottom 6 teams, if that makes sense.  

I think we need to re-invest in the squad to maintain our present standing in the SPFL (top six club every year). Any war chest gained should be put in to avoiding our previous yo-yo club syndrom whether by youth investment or bringing quality signings. Sorry to be negative but the higher you climb, the quicker you can fall. So my dream is we use our recent success to ensure long term status in the top half of the top division.

Europa League group stages is not outwith the bounds of possibility if we can avoid the likes of Spurs and Inter Milan.

Top 6 in the league again has to be first priority.

Would also want to see some more young players breaking through,mid term replacements brought in for Mackay and Wright (who are both 34) and ideally a marquee signing of the Baltacha/Dasovic/Scotland standard.

I think we'll have a group of players with a real swagger about them next season.

What a monkey off the back this should turn out to be. I think had we won the cup this time last year we'd have beaten Minsk. The self belief it will give the whole team will be massive.

For me. 5-6th place and a semi final would be another decent year. I can't see why that wouldn't happen if we can hang onto May as pretty much the entire starting 11 will be here next year.

Edited by ryangordon86

No reason we can't have another season of good domestic cup runs.survival is always my first priority, but got confidence in this squads attitude and quality, to think we'll be well safe.If we can start the season with our away form sorted, we could well find a top 4 finish