Liam Craig

thesaint10

Suppose I've been called a lot worse than strange before , so I accept the fact I'm strange .

I dont mind vouching for the fact you are indeed strange !!!

Liam Craig was certainly a player i liked during his time here,that man got me quite a few points as first scorer on the prediction league.He left the club for more money,how many of us here has left an employer to seek out more dosh. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt,i dont blame the lad for that as im led to believe the idea of a major Hibs rivival and overhaul was pretty much sold to him,this obviously didnt come into fruitation. For him to claim that Hibs were a bigger team,well everybody has their own opinions but stats prove he wasnt wrong basing the facts on crowds and silverwares of years gone by.He thought it was the right move at the right time and i wished him luck.Whether i would want him back now i couldnt answer,TW has built a great squad and this season is the proof.Apart from being a natural left footer (which every team needs) i think he would struggle to fit in our midfield,lets be honest Liam Craig done really well for us but his corners and freekicks were sometimes a right let down,now we have a player in Wotherspoon who fills that gap,its only a matter of time before we see him as a 10 goal midfielder every season.We still have Croft,Ohallaran and Millar guys that can create from the middle of the park,lets not forget Davidsons still around too.

Craig was always a fantastic player for us, I'd love to see him back at St Johnstone but I don't think the current position of the club merits it. If we had a disastrous season, didn't win the cup, finished 9th or 10th and so on we could justify him coming back easily but he's not what we need at the moment.

Rowan Vine on the other hand is a ****ing joke of a footballer. A goal ratio of 0.18 goals per game over a 14 year career is nothing  to merit calling yourself a ****ing "striker". Let's knock out his most prolific period (at Luton town) of that equation and you'll realise that Rowan Vine has played 269 games of professional football and scored 26 goals.

That's an average of 0.096 goals per game. More than 10 games for every goal he bagged.

Wikipedia must be lying because no-one can be that much of a bag of shite and still be advertising his services as a football striker.

Deride St Johnstone all you must, claim that your destiny lies elsewhere and you were made for bigger and better things. Criticise the small support and structure of our club. That's fine. Just dinnae be a massive steaming pile of shite while you are doing it.

Shave your beard off and get a real job Rowan Whine.

I'm surprised Liam isn't higher though.  Surely there should be a category for 'set up James Collins who couldn't score in a brothel'

To have the 14th best assist rating ina team that couldn't score is actually not bad. Hibs certainly didn't get relegated due to him. He even took a good penalty yesterday when the pressure was on. Preston suggested on the Cup Final coverage that Lomas had lost the dressing and who knows, but perhaps that was one reason that Liam moved on.

I doubt that there is a place for him now at Saints. But if there was I am sure he would give his all.

When he was here Liam Craig was an asset to the team. You can't have a go at someone for leaving to go somewhere that they would get more money - he's only human with bills, mortgages, a family to support, etc like the rest of us.

However, I struggle to see where he would fit into the current squad and for that reason alone I wouldn't have him back.

Unbelieveable comments. If Liam is available we have to make an attempt ot sign him. Better in centre mid than Mcdonald and Miller and he's a left midfielder.

We have a whole midfield that don't contribute with goals and we don't have a left midfielder on the books. Liam got 9 this year in one of the worst SPL teams of all time.

Didnt resign our third most effective attacking threat and we'll sell May in the summer. Think he'd be hungry to prove himself again.

To have the 14th best assist rating ina team that couldn't score is actually not bad.

Failing to score was taken into consideration in those stats supposedly -

"Chance Created Could Have Scored (CS) = 0.75pts

Goal Created - Striker Dispatches Tricky or 'Half Chance Assist' (HCA) = 0.75pts

Chance Created - Should Have Scored (SS) = 1pt

Goal Created - Striker Couldn't Miss Assist (CMA) = 1pt"

Liam was good. Now he isn't as good. Fact. Too many fond memories getting in the way of reasoned thoughts for a return. I personally don't think he is up to the grade now. We have set our standards in football and doubt he is any better than recently released paddy and Nigel.

still under contract at championship side hibs

Been told he can leave as they look to cut the wage bill

Also lets think about what type of player we want.

• Wide midfielder
  • Left sided
  • Left footed
  • Capable of getting 5+ goals
  • Decent pedigree
  • Versatile
  • Hard working

I think we'd struggle to get anyone of the same standard as Craig. Obviously his wages might now be a problem, but I don't know that either way. Can't see any reason not to go for him, considering the criteria of player we need

Think we saw the best of him. In my opinion his last season with us was his best one.

I think he tried extra hard so that people couldn't doubt his commitment in view of his pre season contract with Hibs!

I bore him no malice then & I take no satisfaction of his predicament now.

You make your choice?!??

All the best Liam⚽️

Very surprised by the general reaction on this thread. I'm in total agreement with RandomGuy.

Liam Craig isn't an old player. He is 27. There is no chance that he's suddenly deteriorated into a poor player in the space of one season. As I said before, Hibs have that effect on people. Likewise, David Wotherspoon hasn't just become a good player in one season. He has always possessed quality but couldn't find the platform to show it at Hibs.

We need a left-sided, left-footed player. Would Liam Craig be a regular starter? Who knows? Maybe not. I don't think any club in the world solely adopts that signing policy though. A strong squad is just as important as a strong team. Craig provides something which nobody else in our squad currently does. He is a physical, hard-working player who is dissimilar to our other wide options. He can also play in the centre and arguably do a better job there than McDonald or Millar. Most importantly, he provides a regular goalscoring threat which none of our other midfield options have been able to do thus far.

Before our Scottish Cup victory, not many former Saints players have gone down as club legends. However, Liam staked a serious claim to be considered as one of the few. I hope people aren't forgetting this. I'd love him to come back.

I really don't think people should take a players performances for Hibs as a sound basis for how good a player they are.

There is something seriously wrong with that club, even the fans are pointing it out, that sucks the life out of players. Players like McPake and Craig are solid dependable players- easily capable of Scottish Premiership football, but are now written off as useless.

If Craig was to return, Wright would have him back playing with a bit more confidence, even if he was fighting for a starting spot.