Right To Play - Perth Council

MySpazz

Due to local authority cuts the green areas in north muirton are getting left to grow and with minumum maintenance, Myself and my bro in law took it upon ourselves to make a wee football pitch for the local kids to play on. This has caused quite a stir and the papers have already been in touch

I probably built one of my many gang huts in thon bushes, back in the day. Happy times.

Just noticed, is that a "WANTED" poster of AthensSaint stuck to the lamppost?

Fair Maid, is that you peering out of the garden shed window waiting to make yer chance for a runner once you had found your knickers ???  

Yup - sure is a field. But due to lack of play areas in north muirton these fields have been the "play areas" for children for years. These were always maintaned by the council and it was a place for kids to play football etc. Now the council let it grow, its been a dumping ground for dog foul and rubbish.Up until the council cut backs kids played football out the back of our house all the time and with it being knee high and full of dog shit that stopped. We were fed up with the kids not getting outside so we decided to do it ourselves and the outcome is positive.

Yup - sure is a field. But due to lack of play areas in north muirton these fields have been the "play areas" for children for years. These were always maintaned by the council and it was a place for kids to play football etc. Now the council let it grow, its been a dumping ground for dog foul and rubbish.Up until the council cut backs kids played football out the back of our house all the time and with it being knee high and full of dog shit that stopped. We were fed up with the kids not getting outside so we decided to do it ourselves and the outcome is positive.

Soupy, good on you. Next step is to get the wee dudes to get the lamp post turnd around so they have a floodlight..........Geez in my day, we probably would have given it a go :wink:  

I've no idea about PKC's finances, but I expect they're as bad as every other Council's.

There's something called the Barnet Graph of Doom, which shows the difference between Council spending power and unavoidable expenditure. In my Council, by 2020 we will only have enough money to pay for Adult Social Care, Children's Social Care and refuse collection. Nothing else. This is because of a combination of reduction in government funding (£58m over 7 years) and unavoidable pressures, like the increase in adults requiring care (£85m). Whether we like it or not, a lot of things Councils currently do they will not be doing in the next few years.

I've no idea about PKC's finances, but I expect they're as bad as every other Council's.

There's something called the Barnet Graph of Doom, which shows the difference between Council spending power and unavoidable expenditure. In my Council, by 2020 we will only have enough money to pay for Adult Social Care, Children's Social Care and refuse collection. Nothing else. This is because of a combination of reduction in government funding (£58m over 7 years) and unavoidable pressures, like the increase in adults requiring care (£85m). Whether we like it or not, a lot of things Councils currently do they will not be doing in the next few years.

This is something that people need to understand when constantly criticising the council over poor performance etc etc......year after year they are trying to cope with a greater demand on their services with ever decreasing budgets to do so.

There are pockets of work underway within the Programme & Project Management Community looking at how Public Sector organisations can pool resources and skills in the future to help each other cut costs

And will only get worse wether you live north or south of the border, even if Labour get in nothing will change

Most of us understand about council cuts etc. I work for pkc and have seen the full brunt of it. They struggle to find money for xyz yet can pay thousands for a nugget of a celebrity to switch on lights and to pay for the likes of Gareth gates to sing. Kids in this area are getting forced to play inside due to lack of facilities and safe play areas. It took us over 3 hours to cut that with a shitey wee lawn mower. A space that size could be cut in less than 30 secs. The council should at least be cutting a wee bit out on the green areas for kids to play. Fecking joke

Most of us understand about council cuts etc. I work for pkc and have seen the full brunt of it. They struggle to find money for xyz yet can pay thousands for a nugget of a celebrity to switch on lights and to pay for the likes of Gareth gates to sing. Kids in this area are getting forced to play inside due to lack of facilities and safe play areas. It took us over 3 hours to cut that with a shitey wee lawn mower. A space that size could be cut in less than 30 secs. The council should at least be cutting a wee bit out on the green areas for kids to play. Fecking joke

Always money available.

Remember the caper about a special bike bridge across the Tay? Thankfully that got kicked into touch.

And there's the concert hall, City Hall etc + some old buildings / land like the Toll House lying around.

Always money for pet projects to raise self esteem of Chief Execs, politicos etc.