The World Cup

Abernethy Saint

Oh well I suppose we ought to have a thread on this, in case it gets interesting, and to have somewhere to laugh at Ingerland in an organised fashion.

Finding it really hard to get excited about it. Dunno why - the usual reason (we're no there), obviously. Plus the FIFA corruption nonsense. Plus getting older, seen it all before. Plus there isn't too much risk o Ingerland doing well. But I think the main reason is the season we had - we're still all so excited about the much more important and considerably older cup we just won.

Here's hoping for some decent footy, some surprises from diddy teams, and come on you ABE.

Anyone know anyone who's actually gone???

See England are at it already complaining about the pitch for saturday games, bunch of w**ker that they are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27800681

I kind of agree with them TBH.  If you can't supply a decent pitch for the worlds premiere football event, when can you?

No point in spending megabucks on a stadium, and buttons on a pitch.

This ITV coverage is already murder and the first game hasn't even kicked off yet. Maybe "Wrighty" will take a rubber bullet in the gub and get sent back to Blighty...

As others have said, hard to get excited about it when Scotland aren't there but there are still a few appetising games ahead. Looking forward to Englad's opener.

First game and the commentators already getting on my t*ts.

After Croatia scored, the mike man repeatedly tells us it's 1-0 to Croatia after "11 minutes".

When Brazil equalise, he then tells us that Croatia have led since the "seventeenth minute"

Olic challenges Caesar for a cross and the ref. gives Brazil a free kick.

Mike man tells us that a flag went up immediately, though he says he was onside. 

Then continues it must have been a "more technical infringement ". What in the name of **** is a more technical infringement? 

A few moments later having viewed the slow-mos,  he astonishingly tells us " no flag went up".

Where's the mute button?

First game and the commentators already getting on my t*ts.

After Croatia scored, the mike man repeatedly tells us it's 1-0 to Croatia after "11 minutes".

When Brazil equalise, he then tells us that Croatia have led since the "seventeenth minute"

Olic challenges Caesar for a cross and the ref. gives Brazil a free kick.

Mike man tells us that a flag went up immediately, though he says he was onside. 

Then continues it must have been a "more technical infringement ". What in the name of **** is a more technical infringement? 

A few moments later having viewed the slow-mos,  he astonishingly tells us " no flag went up".

Where's the mute button?

They were doing that "done just about enough to clear it" shit.....NO...THEY DID DO ENOUGH- NOT JUST ABOUT ENOUGH

Brazil's defence didn't impress me, and that Neymair's run up for the penalty whit the feck wis that

Agree about their defence.  Can't see them winning the World Cup with that back four.  I'm happy enough though, had a fiver on them to win 3-1 at 7/1  :razz:

Oscar's toe poke from 20 yards into the bottom left corner had something very familiar about it :D

I thought Croatia were smart. They gave Brazil a bit of space until they got it wide to the full backs and then closed them down immediately. Alves and Marcello were anonymous as an attacking threat, and equally absent in defence. Croatia had 2 left wingers playing and Olic in particular put in an immense shift and some excellent crosses.

Jelavic is pish though. Mayso would get a game at Hull.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Re. Commentators, all the pre cup build up has been on BBC, and then the opening game on ITV and Adrian Chiles' pus appears. Cretinous presenter. And Iain Wright and Lee Dixon are little better. BBC games will be better.

Apparently you can go to STV.com and employ alternative match commentary from Archie McPherson. I might do that for the next itv game, for nostalgia.

Funny you should say that about Chiles,  I thought the same. 

I settled down to view/listen to the pre match build up and after 10 minutes fell asleep.

Woke up just as the game was about to kick off. 

Won't be tuning in to any of his pre match pish.

This guy has been a disaster on any programme he has been involved in.

Anyone know anyone who's actually gone???

I know a couple of people at work who have gone. They managed to get tickets for some pretty good games too, including one of the quarter finals.

For me, this is the least excited I've ever been about a World Cup - but I think it's partly because nothing can now match Saints being in the Scottish Cup Final less than a month ago.

Quite enjoyed the opening match though.

Guest The Great Paddy Buckley

There is a smugness to Chiles and Lineker that reflects very badly and alienates neutrals from  the England football team . As for Ian Wright.. A corny hackneyed caricature of a "Landan" boy, ducking and diving... I'll play the spoons Guv etc....

Edited by The Great Paddy Buckley