The World Cup

Abernethy Saint

USA mourned today, but they are claiming the keeper as a new national hero, the likes you have never seen....some of the comments I had to endure today would make Gandhi swing a punch..... such a carry on

"""If you were like me (and tens of millions of Americans and Belgians), you were GLUED to yesterday’s World Cup knockout round game between USA and Belgium. Team USA fought hard, but we still lost and it was heartbreaking. But one good thing came out of the game: goalkeeper *** Howard is now a SUPERSTAR. His defending skills have gone viral, he’s being called Team USA’s MVP and he made a historic number of saves: 16!!! The most saves in a World Cup game since 1966!!!""

USA mourned today, but they are claiming the keeper as a new national hero, the likes you have never seen....some of the comments I had to endure today would make Gandhi swing a punch..... such a carry on

I thought it was men vs boys....the Belgians were so superior.  Reminded me of watching Scotland during the Levine era......riding their luck....the press can always find something to praise...

I thought it was men vs boys....the Belgians were so superior.  Reminded me of watching Scotland during the Levine era......riding their luck....the press can always find something to praise...

I think that is very unfair on the USA team. Some of their defending was top quality, including Howard's performance. They played some great football down their flanks and their work-rate in the middle of the park is phenominal.

Up against a Belgium team packed with players playing at the top level in club football, I don't know what else people were expecting from USA

germans done the french, didn't expect that to be honest...

my new team is the costa rican's, having lost my large group of mexican friends.... local british pub has around 12 of them in there

One of the worst games I have watched so far, but German efficiency triumphs once again. 

Passing and control was abysmal from both teams. 

Give me Belgium V. U.S.A. Anytime. 

Don't write off the Germans as they are historically slow starters. 

Picked Brazil in the pub sweepie to win the cup.

So far so good, but they seem to be hanging on instead  of trying to put the game to bed. 

Are Hulk and Fred the 2 worst players to represent their country?

Willie collum sat at home commenting on how bad this ref is, that was brutal refereeing

Have to admit that he must have instructed his assistants prior to the game, not to put their flags up, that he would make ALL the decisions. 

As far as the standard of refereeing is concerned, a lot of challenges  in the competition (whether the directive came from above is questionable ) went unpunished. 

Could be our Refs. are far too strict. 

Ref was pish for both teams. Should have got a hold of Fernando's treatment of Rodrigeuz but also Zuniga's treatment of Neymar. Goal was offside, freekick was a freekick (but never a booking) and Luiz rightly saves Cesar from a red. The ref didn't cost COlumbia, stage fright did. Germans will see off Brazil, especially if the rumours of Neymar being out are true.

I'm sorry, I just don't see the hype around Brazil.

Cesar, Maicon,.marcelo, paulinho, ramires, Oscar - all very average players

Fred, jo, hulk - just plain pish

Neymar - cheat

Jimmy Rodriguez should be player of this tournament

Fifa can't afford for Brazil not to win this tournament.

Where do you get the idea of Brazil being hyped up on this forum?

Comments made by me are merely based on drawing them in the sweepstake. 

For your information, this has to be the weakest Brazil team I have seen in 60 years of watching the World Cup.

Ref was pish for both teams. Should have got a hold of Fernando's treatment of Rodrigeuz but also Zuniga's treatment of Neymar. Goal was offside, freekick was a freekick (but never a booking) and Luiz rightly saves Cesar from a red. The ref didn't cost COlumbia, stage fright did. Germans will see off Brazil, especially if the rumours of Neymar being out are true.

Agree can't see this Brazil defence holding out against the Germans. 

However, football's full of surprises.