The World Cup

Abernethy Saint

Trivia question and no cheating by googling ,

Who was the first person to win the World cup as a player and then as a Manager ?

I'll not spoil this one as I knew the answer. Most will go for the only other man to do it.

Neymar has a fractured vertebrae, out of the World Cup. Brazil don't have a hope without him.

Wanted Columbia to win last night, but the challenge on neymar was very poor. When you think there is no punishment for going in with a knee up and breaking a players spine, and yet a 4 month ban for a childish and stupid bite that leaves a red mark for 5 minutes, something is far wrong.

Argentina v Germany final then I reckon. Messi to be the hero.

Neymar has a fractured vertebrae, out of the World Cup. Brazil don't have a hope without him.

Wanted Columbia to win last night, but the challenge on neymar was very poor. When you think there is no punishment for going in with a knee up and breaking a players spine, and yet a 4 month ban for a childish and stupid bite that leaves a red mark for 5 minutes, something is far wrong.

Argentina v Germany final then I reckon. Messi to be the hero.

Spot on. Pepole go nuts at Neymar and others for diving/simulation (and it is iritating and I understand why it irks people) but nobody has the same reaction over those that deliberately kick, elbow, hurt and injure players. Neymar is targeted, partly down to his physique, more than any other player in world footballer. Of course it is probably because diving is a foriegn thing and completely alien to our culture :roll:.  Suarez is nob and he deserves a ban as footballers are role models but some of the hype surrounding him is totally ott. 

Edited by ODAB

Brazil are simply playing to their strengths, notabley kicking players about the pitch and taking their chances. To call any team "crap" that has reached a World Cup semi final is a bit harsh, although there is no doubt this is a pretty weak side, but Brazil have been average since 2002 onwards.

The vast majority of world cups tend to be won by a team with a standout player at the top of his game. Brazil have just lost theirs.

Although Germany have the best squad and must now be favourites, I have a sneaky feeling Argentina with the in-form Messi may keep scraping by teams. Argentina usually look great in the groups and then start to flop, but they've yet to really impress, Messi apart. That said, I think we will see Messi continue to pull things out the bag- edging Belguim and then hitting form against Holland and putting in a performance.

Germany v Argentina final for me

worse world cup ever and should be quickly forgotten (Ben Zima lost France a place in the semi...Pogba is a rising star,best mid fielder France have...will be hearing more of him)

How do you work that out? Whilst the quality has been lacking at times, there has been some really entertaining games, loads of goals-some of which crackers, surprises, under dogs raising their game and players such as Messi, Rodriguez, Campbell, Neymar, Robben and mueller stepping up to the stage!

Andy in every competition in the world, no matter how hard referees try, they will always be influenced by the larger amount of home fans.

Rodriguez should of been protected much better yesterday, but Brazil have been quite intelligent in their play and ability to break play up!

If it makes you feel better Germany should see them off next week.

The ref let the Brazilians kick Rodrigeuz. He also let the Columbians kick Neymar and fracture his vertebra. He was consistent if useless last night. Where are the corrupt decisions that influenced the game? Why do you not mention the decisions in the Chile game that went against Brazil? Because like most people who believe in conspiracies, you only see what you want to see.

Good game this. Enjoying it. Belgium can take the argies if they continue to put 3 guys on messi every time. Lucky break,  goal taken well...

Still Costa Rica for me, stick it up the dutch, some good gamesmanship going on from the rican coach for that one, Robben will have to lose a limb before the ref will blow.

First time these teams have every played each other, **** the dutch cabbage boiling cheesemongers.... GO CHICOS!!!

Edited by Texas-Saint

Would love Costa Rica to win tonight.

However, all games are going to form. Lost lots on silly tennis bets. So have put all profits, and £50 of capital, on various Holland to win bets.

Will either be £50 down, or quite happy tonight.

My hedge bet is getting outside of a bottle of co-op's (surprisingly decent) whisky.

I say again, what a great world cup. Understandably, they're all playing a bit more conservatively, and the excitement level has gone down a bit. But hey, beats the SPL on a rainy Saturday......