Switzerland On A Budget

ryangordon86

Some of us have been having discussions on FB with regards to running a bus to this.

I've looked into hiring a 17 seater minibus leaving on the Tues arriving Wed. It's around 2000 miles there and back.

The cost is likely to be £130-150 per head. This will include a contingency kitty of £30-50pp (It actually costs out at nearer £100 but any extra will be used for additional fuel, insurance extras etc then returned to you upon our return)

This is inclusive of tolls, fuel, channel crossing and vehicle hire. We'd ideally be aiming for either the midnight or 6am Wednesday tunnel crossing depending on when people can get together so ideally you'd need Tuesday off or half day. 

We would need a few willing and confident drivers. Ideally 5 which would equate to around a 3 hour stretch each.

I have a few names down already. If you're interested pop down your name and if you're prepared to drive. It will obviously need to be done on a basis of first paid gets the seat.

I guarantee this will be far more memorable than any flight!

1. Ryangordon86 (driver)

2. Darren Paterson (potential driver)

3. Ghostie

4. Gordon Bell (driver)

Edited by ryangordon86

Supposed to be going away with wife but this option is so tempting. Few questions:- When would you expect to be back in Perth on the return journey? Do you have a rough idea how much the two nights accommodation would add to the overall cost? Would there be any scope for a larger bus if you fill the 17 seats?

Supposed to be going away with wife but this option is so tempting. Few questions:- When would you expect to be back in Perth on the return journey? Do you have a rough idea how much the two nights accommodation would add to the overall cost? Would there be any scope for a larger bus if you fill the 17 seats?

I'm gonna sleep on the bus floor!!

2,000 miles of Ghostie AND Ryan!!! Good luck with that!

Driving over night i'd imagine. Easiest time to do it with empty roads.

With a few drivers it'll be a doddle.

I'm not going as far as arranging people's accommodation is Lucerne. That's DIY i'm afraid. Saying that, i'm sure there will be plenty camp of sites in the area!!

Can't get a bigger bus, 17 is the max you can manage on a car license. I think if we left Friday morning we'd be back approx 24 hours later. We'll be looking at piss/fuel stops only to do it as quick as possible. 2 nights accommodation could vary but that would be up to you to sort. I know there's a youth hostel, there will no doubt be B&B's there if you don't want the expense of a hotel and as my previous post says, you could always bring a tent!!

Route planner has the journey taking 18hrs so 24 hours including stops is a safe bet.

Edited by ryangordon86

When getting my original quote I forgot to add additional drivers. They're £10 each per day.

Breakdown of costs.

17 seat Minibus hire inclusive of 5 drivers, Vehicle Damage Waiver and Overseas cover from Tues 1200 - Sat 1700: £1115

Channel tunnel crossings at the minute all equate to around £50-70 each way if we can book soon and get advanced prices.

These would be the only up from costs.

I am going to shop around elsewhere to try and beat that quote.

On the basis of 17 going, it will work out at £75 each up front for the costs mentioned above. This would probably need to be booked by Credit Card knowing car hire companies. Something I don't have.

Tolls are around £50 obviously not payable in advance.

I'm estimating fuel at being between £500-600 (25mpg works out at just over £500). If We set aside £750 between us for running costs and tolls that equates to another £45 each upon collection. Anything left over can be split among us.

£130 for your transport to and from the game.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes?intItineraryType=0&isAvoidVignette=false&caravaneHidden=false&vh=CAR&strDestLocid=31MzcwZjEwY05EY3VNRFExTlRJPWNPQzR6TURnd013PT0=&isFavoriseAutoroute=false&carbCost=1.6&isAvoidFrontiers=false&distance=mi&empriseH=275&reinit=true&indemnite=0&strStartLocid=31NDNuNmMxMGNOVFV1T1RVeU16Zz1jTFRNdU16VTNNems9&dtmDeparture=2014-23-06&empriseW=315&strVehicle=0&Fp=&devise=EUR&Fl=0&isAvoidPeage=false&isAvoidLNR=false

Ideally i'd like to make the midnight tunnel service which would have us in Lucerne for late morning/lunchtime on the Wednesday. That would leave plenty drinking/party time!

Edited by ryangordon86