Switzerland On A Budget

ryangordon86

more than a nine seater requires a bus licence

From the DVLA site -

If the minibus is not for ‘hire or reward’

You may be able to drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats using your current car driving licence as long as it’s not for ‘hire or reward’ - ie there’s no payment from or on behalf of the passengers.

----------------------

I should imagine that if the drivers are not being "rewarded"  :shock:  - then you're ok

but I'm no expert

Edited by 55saint

From the DVLA site -

You may be able to drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats using your current car driving licence as long as it’s not for ‘hire or reward’ - ie there’s no payment from or on behalf of the passengers.

----------------------

I should imagine that if the drivers are not being "rewarded"  :shock:  - then you're ok

but I'm no expert

I have no idea either, but could there be different conditions if the mini bus is being taken outwith the country (i.e. into Europe)?

Got a message from Ryan through his DAD

Been in bed ill all day. Been spewing up. Don't know what's up. I'll get on top of everything in the morning. Maybe just let the forum know. Also got major internet issues, it only works when I dial out and stops when I hang up!

So fear not fellow road trippers, he is on the case. :wink: 

Edited by The ghost of Jim Morton

From the DVLA site -

----------------------

but I'm no expert

The payment is for covering costs of the hire and running costs so wouldn't count as a reward or payment.  Best not put a collection round for the driver/s just in case though  :wink:

Okay so this is getting a little bit more confusing the further I research it. My findings so far are this:

- In the UK and France a D1 category licence is sufficient to drive a minibus up to 17 seats (including the driver's seat) provided no hire or reward for the driver is involved.

- It looks as though as soon as the vehicle enters France, tachograph rules must apply and that means the tachograph must have started recording from start of journey (i.e. Edinburgh or wherever) regardless of the nature of the trip. Furthermore, each bus built after 2006 will have a digital tachograph which means you need a card, not everyone has one of these!

- As far as licence requirements for Switzerland are concerned, it's unclear whether a D1 is acceptable. Given that Switzerland is not part of the EU or EEA, there's little to fk all information on their laws so this is where the trail goes cold. Finally, although It is not likely this could also pose a problem for insurance reasons. Some policies exclude Switzerland because it's not in the EU or EEA.

The sooner we get this sorted the better me thinks :shock: