What Price Stevie May

Templar Saint

Unless he does sign a new contract Saints don't really have much room to haggle.

He will be able to talk to clubs in January and the club will be facing a development fee situation.

Now while that wouldn't be insignificant I don't think it would be over a million.

Stevie is worth far more than 800k. I would be confident in saying that as things stand, he is capable of getting us at least 3 places in the league. That alone, over a season is worth 200k minimum. Then factor in cup runs, potential passage iin Europe this week, domestic cup games.

Oh, and even if we don't sell him we still get a development fee which I reckon could still be around 300k mark? Especially if he gets capped this season.

If our board really are that short sighted, I worry. The above figures still don't scratch the surface about the damage this whole affair has done. Time for the SB to pull his head out is arse and realise what's going on!

To be honest, I feel the club are in a pretty hard position without May signing a new deal.

They can take £800k (or somewhere in that region) potentially with add ons and use that to improve the squad and hopefully make us a much better all round team and also build the cash reserves back up to allow us to continue where we are.

Or, they can let this run and see where we are in January. Yes there would be a development fee, but how much? £800k? I doubt it, no add ons attached. With that scenarion there is no new additions to the squad and we go with what we have. May's goals might get us third or fourth if we are lucky with injuries....tough choice imo

Having said that, I'd prefer he stayed and signed the new contract!

Edited by MrBored

To be honest, I feel the club are in a pretty hard position without May signing a new deal.

They can take £800k (or somewhere in that region) potentially with add ons and use that to improve the squad and hopefully make us a much better all round team and also build the cash reserves back up to allow us to continue where we are.

Or, they can let this run and see where we are in January. Yes there would be a development fee, but how much? £800k? I doubt it, no add ons attached. With that scenarion there is no new additions to the squad and we go with what we have. May's goals might get us third or fourth if we are lucky with injuries....tough choice imo

Having said that, I'd prefer he stayed and signed the new contract!

800k takes the piss. We ain't going to be in a position to buy a player so will be banking on a loan, a free or even worse, not strengthen.

Without serious reinforcement, or stevie. We will finish bottom six. No debate on this as far as I am concerned.

Stevie May is worth more to us in a footballing sense than three new players of average ability. There is absolutely no reason we can't have Stevie and a left sided midfielder as well. That's not a massive ask. Steve Brown needs to acknowledge he's made a mistake and sign at least one new player.

I would hope that the club have carried out some form of options appraisal in relation to the alternatives regarding May, looking at the potential benefits, constraints, risks etc associated with each option and carried out some scenario testing

(aye right.....like that will have happened)

Stevie is worth far more than 800k. I would be confident in saying that as things stand, he is capable of getting us at least 3 places in the league. That alone, over a season is worth 200k minimum. Then factor in cup runs, potential passage iin Europe this week, domestic cup games.

Oh, and even if we don't sell him we still get a development fee which I reckon could still be around 300k mark? Especially if he gets capped this season.

If our board really are that short sighted, I worry. The above figures still don't scratch the surface about the damage this whole affair has done. Time for the SB to pull his head out is arse and realise what's going on!

Good post, I was more or less resigned to the fact that we'd just accept anything around the £1m mark. When you think about how financially beneficial it could be to keep him though, it does seem short sighted. 

If Stevie May goes this summer for 800k to Rotheram then I'm done with supporting St Johnstone. 

That's probably a bit harsh but I certainly feel having only been a Saints fan for the last 7 years and having watched the club go on an almost constant rise up, that what happens with the May situation will define whether we have reached the peak of this era or not

The first saints game I ever went to was a 3-0 drubbing at home by Dunfermline, this was either a week before or after we got done in 4-0 at Partick Thistle. The first season I started following Saints, we were struggling to get out of a competitive First Division trading blows with Hamilton, Dundee and the like every season.

Since then, the club just hasn't stopped, we won our promotion to the SPL, and have steadily improved year-on-year despite never blowing the budget on superstars and without really dominating opponents like some teams do.

The 5-1 beating of Hibs and the 4-1 gubbing of Rangers stand out as the greatest moments I've had a saints fan but the vast majority of the results have been gritty, organised stand-offs from a football team who loves to defend and send teams back up the A9 or down the M90 questioning why they didn't have enough to see off a dogged wee side from Perth.

We've built on this success though, taking on players who are often in the twilight of their career (Jody Morris, Steven Maclean) or who want to prove them selves again after unfortunate spells down south (O' Halloran, Croft) and always trying them into a proper team, not full of pre-Madonnas or pretty boys but just good solid genuine footballers.

Last season was the icing on the cake, knocking out teams with a far higher pedigree than ourselves in European competitions after a hat-trick of seasons with matches on the continent. Who ever considered that after that fold Autumn day at the Firhill Stadium 7 years ago? Finally winning the Scottish Cup after so many close scrapes, after so many short straws, finally to crown St Johnstone FC's name on the biggest trophy our club could hope to grasp.

And now, it feels like an era is coming to an end, several of our players are coming to the limit of their careers and our star talisman, local hero Stevie May is being touted as a product, undervalued and destined for the door. We deserve better than this, for a player to hit 3 shy of 30 goals in a team who puts defending, grit and industry before flashiness or goals is surely an achievement worth recognizing?

If Stevie May goes this summer for 800k to Rotheram then I'm done with supporting St Johnstone. 

That's probably a bit harsh but I certainly feel having only been a Saints fan for the last 7 years and having watched the club go on an almost constant rise up, that what happens with the May situation will define whether we have reached the peak of this era or not

The first saints game I ever went to was a 3-0 drubbing at home by Dunfermline, this was either a week before or after we got done in 4-0 at Partick Thistle. The first season I started following Saints, we were struggling to get out of a competitive First Division trading blows with Hamilton, Dundee and the like every season.

Since then, the club just hasn't stopped, we won our promotion to the SPL, and have steadily improved year-on-year despite never blowing the budget on superstars and without really dominating opponents like some teams do.

The 5-1 beating of Hibs and the 4-1 gubbing of Rangers stand out as the greatest moments I've had a saints fan but the vast majority of the results have been gritty, organised stand-offs from a football team who loves to defend and send teams back up the A9 or down the M90 questioning why they didn't have enough to see off a dogged wee side from Perth.

We've built on this success though, taking on players who are often in the twilight of their career (Jody Morris, Steven Maclean) or who want to prove them selves again after unfortunate spells down south (O' Halloran, Croft) and always trying them into a proper team, not full of pre-Madonnas or pretty boys but just good solid genuine footballers.

Last season was the icing on the cake, knocking out teams with a far higher pedigree than ourselves in European competitions after a hat-trick of seasons with matches on the continent. Who ever considered that after that fold Autumn day at the Firhill Stadium 7 years ago? Finally winning the Scottish Cup after so many close scrapes, after so many short straws, finally to crown St Johnstone FC's name on the biggest trophy our club could hope to grasp.

And now, it feels like an era is coming to an end, several of our players are coming to the limit of their careers and our star talisman, local hero Stevie May is being touted as a product, undervalued and destined for the door. We deserve better than this, for a player to hit 3 shy of 30 goals in a team who puts defending, grit and industry before flashiness or goals is surely an achievement worth recognizing?

So what you are saying is that if Saints are no longer as successful as we have been of late you are going to stop supporting them? Cause that's exactly how your above post comes across.

Edited by SaintDougie

I gave up supporting Saints when Stanic left. It went downhill from then, not even winning the Scottish Cup has made up for us not keeping him on.

Are you sure?

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable reason to stop supporting Saints.

So what you are saying is that if Saints are no longer as successful as we have been of late you are going to stop supporting them? Cause that's exactly how your above post comes across.

I can see the use of dramatic irony went over your head. You may want to read past the first sentence for the full effect. 

Edited by craiginasaintsstrip

I can see the use of dramatic irony went over your head. You may want to read past the first sentence for the full effect.

Oh don't worry, I read the entire post and your attempt at dramatic Irony still came across as if you were saying that if this was the end of a successful era you were done. I certainly don't appear to be the only one that read it in such a way. As much as I agree with the sentiment of said achievements you have listed there doesn't appear to be much of a point to your post.

Also, the heavy defeats by Pars(your first game) and Thistle you mentioned, I was at both of those. It was the first 2 league games of 08/09 season. We went on to lose only 3 more games the whole season, including 22 game unbeaten run and won the league by 10 points.

Not sure you're qualified to talk about us struggling in the 1st division! No offence!

If we sell Stevie May OR lose a match next season, I'm going to start supporting The Rangers.

Being a true supporter of a team is not conditional. It is about supporting them on the terracing at home and away. Supporters do fall out with those ruling the club but they do not abandon their team at the first sign of trouble. The team you refer to changing your allegiance to Rangers; they are an example of true supporters they still turn up in numbers not to support the club hierarchy but the players on the park and on the bench. I will be there supporting Saints whither it be top six or relegation battle. It is not TW or the players’ fault that May is sold or no new faces. These men got us to this lofted position now in their time of need we must not abandon them

COYS

Being a true supporter of a team is not conditional. It is about supporting them on the terracing at home and away. Supporters do fall out with those ruling the club but they do not abandon their team at the first sign of trouble. The team you refer to changing your allegiance to Rangers; they are an example of true supporters they still turn up in numbers not to support the club hierarchy but the players on the park and on the bench. I will be there supporting Saints whither it be top six or relegation battle. It is not TW or the players’ fault that May is sold or no new faces. These men got us to this lofted position now in their time of need we must not abandon them

COYS

Didn't read, too busy singing The Sash. #rulebrittania